New Member, Doctp

doctp

New Member, Doctp
« on: 28 Oct 2016, 03:11 am »
Hi All.
Love music, all kinds except punk, metallica. Live is best!
Female/male vocalist are SPECIAL.
I love live opera, was at the Metropolitan Opera in NY 3 times last week, recorded opera is just OK.
Classic rock from the 60-70's..outstanding.
Vinyl is best with good pressing and red book CD's, fair, only SACD comes close to the real thing.
Main room: Musical Fidelity KW 750 Amp and preamp and SACD, VPI Scoutmaster with Shelter2 MC cartridge. Cary's newest, top of line with phono preamp. Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers. Nordost and Kimber Kable and others. Power line conditioner.  Soo nice!

2nd room, smaller:
Cary 300SEI 300B pure class "a" integrated amp, 11 watts/ channel.
VPI prime TT with Orthophone Cadenza RED cartridge.
Cary newest, Phono preamp, PH 302-MK 2.
Marantz 8005 SACD.
No speakers yet... small room need high sensitivity bookshelf speakers... Suggestions??

Can't wait!

Doctp

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member, Doctp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2016, 10:04 am »
Welcome Doctp :thumb:
Excellent musical taste.
For small room speaker I suggest this FR driver:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144253.msg1545159#new
In a 5.6 or 8.0 BR box as suggested by CommomSense.

Or a used Klipsch RF83, or a smaller two way:
http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/RP-160M-Spec-Sheet.pdf

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2016, 11:44 am »
Welcome.

Around here Omega (from Connecticut) is the choice for efficient ported monitors (if you're into single driver speakers).  Check out their circle here.  They use proprietary drivers and excellent cabinetry.  Should work well with your musical tastes in a smaller room.  Subwoofer recommended.

Another option for single driver based monitors (the coherency is important for de facto near-field listening) is Planet 10 (from British Columbia) who does aperiodic cabinets with ubiquitous Fostex drivers or the well respected Mark Audio drivers.  I've heard them and they sound clear, detailed, but bass thin.  Subwoofer/mid-subwoofer recommended.

A third single driver option is Brines Acoustics (from Arkansas) who uses a variety of drivers in either ported or transmission line cabinets.  (I commissioned the first M18-F200's and they are still my main speakers.)  Note that the Fostex F200A driver is no longer available.  Subwoofer optional.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2016, 01:42 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Doctp    :thumb: