Encore mDSD (designed by NuPrime) discussion here

rustydoglim

paulscott56

Re: Encore mDSD (designed by NuPrime) discussion here
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2016, 06:06 am »
How to make an AirPlay device for your mDSD and Rockmaster OE headphones!

Step one, gather some hardware.

You will need:

• One Onion Omega or similar OpenWRT dev board - get at http://onion.io
  • One Onion Omega mini dock
  • One micro USB cable
  • One Encore mDSD DAC
  • One set of Rockmaster OE or IE headphones

Set up your Omega as per the Getting Started Guide on the Onion Omega website to connect to wifi
Open a terminal session to the board via the web interface

Uninstall Avahi-nodbus-daemon with
Code: [Select]
opkg remove avahi-nodbus-daemon --force-depends
Next you need to update and then install the Avahi-dbus-daemon
opkg update
opkg install avahi-dbus-daemon --force-overwrite
You then need to install and configure Shairport-sync
opkg install shairport-sync
Edit the config file at
/etc/config/shairport-sync and uncomment the first stanza. Give your new AirPlay device a nice name too!

Now is a good time to plug your Rockmaster headphones into the mDSD and connect it to the external USB port on the Omega.

Then you need to reboot your Omega:
reboot
Once it has started again, simply execute:
shairport-sync
It will print out a message like the following:
start up
could not bind any listen sockets!

Which you can ignore.

Now use your favourite AirPlay app on iOS or Android to stream music to your new Airplay device!

quibus

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm »
As I'm surprised that there is hardly any discussion, I thought to briefly add my thoughts here.

I've read a few enthusiastic reviews of the uDSD (mainly in the European press), but it's not sold widely. As it is one of the few ultraportable USB-DACs with DSD compatibility. this one caught my eye, particularly given the incredibly low price at which it is available. I bought it at the French website Son et Video.

I'm well pleased with it: music reproduction is very clear, it can drive my headphones (B&W P7) easily. It works without any effort: just plug it in, select it (I use Audirvana) and hit play. It is my portable DAC of choice. Admittedly I'm not a very critical listener and find it difficult to distinguish DACS with normal lossless CD FLAC material. Also owning the Cambridge DacMagic XS and the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, there is maybe a slight difference for normal material. The Dragonfly maybe a bit warmer which for certain CDs may sound nicer, but it doesn't do hi-res above 96 kHz. It is possible that the clarity of the mDSD may be more demanding for some materials.

There are only two things with which I might quibble (but I believe could not be changed or not easily):
- the mDSD is rather wide, which may conflict with power adapter or other USB port.
- the volume control operates with two buttons (but I appreciate this could hardly be done differently in such a tiny product). I was used to the nice volume knob of the Nuprime uDSD.

On the whole I'm very satisfied and impressed, and keep an eye open on future products of NuPrime.

agdev01

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2016, 05:23 pm »
I've been very happy with my mDSD which i picked up very early in the indiegogo campaign. Does everything i've asked it to do with no fuss, either connected to my work pc or my phone.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2016, 08:01 pm »
There aren't a lot of discussion especially with the press because this is how business work where low price audiophile products don't generate much profit margin for anyone. So no advertising $.  :duh:
We published this article to explain what goes into a high-end DAC:
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/guides/what-is-high-end-dac.html

We hope that word of mouth advertising will help to promote this DAC.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio

gordon

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2016, 02:06 am »
I'm looking for any recommendations for an over ear headphone to use with the mDSD that I pair with an iPhone. They need to be sensitive and ideally under $200, appreciate any ideas.

Armaegis

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2016, 07:39 am »
I'm looking for any recommendations for an over ear headphone to use with the mDSD that I pair with an iPhone. They need to be sensitive and ideally under $200, appreciate any ideas.

Open backed or closed?
bass heavy or no?

Some blind recommendations: Sennheiser Momentum, Audio Technica M50, Sony MSR7

gordon

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2016, 12:40 am »
That's very helpful, am looking for closed and flat frequency if that helps surface any other ideas. Thank you Armaegis.

Armaegis

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2016, 07:57 am »
Closed with flat FR is actually rather tricky, as most will exhibit a midbass bloom... but here's a few options to look up:

Beyer DT150, Sennheiser HD439, Sony V6, Noontec Hammo S

supernaut77

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2016, 05:55 am »
Hi,
Is there some kind of Y-split usb-cable for android phones that can be used to take power from another source (adapter or PC) while using the Encore? Looking for a solution to avoid draining the phone's battery while listening to music for longer sessions.

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:51 am »
Use a powered USB hub if you are going to use it with the phone on your desktop.

Armaegis

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:00 am »
Hi,
Is there some kind of Y-split usb-cable for android phones that can be used to take power from another source (adapter or PC) while using the Encore? Looking for a solution to avoid draining the phone's battery while listening to music for longer sessions.

Something like this...?

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-Cable-Power-Splitter/dp/B00NSBVNCM/
Scroll about halfway down, someone asks about connecting to a dac and supplying power and the seller says it does work

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2016, 09:20 pm »
We sell a lot of mDSD to France (Europe).

Armaegis

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm »
We sell a lot of mDSD to France (Europe).

Do you find that product popularity varies a lot from country to country? I was just having this discussion over at the Bryston circle and they sell mostly amps in North America, but in Europe it's more preamps.

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2016, 10:18 am »
For products that cost < $1000, there isn't a lot of variation. Everybody loves good value for money products.
Audiophiles from different countries have different taste.
IDA-16 do much better in Japan and some part of Europe, but no so much in France. The French prefer warmer sound.
IDA-8 is the best selling, still hard to beat anywhere with its combination of features and quality.