JC's VMPS Cut or Cuts of the Day

John Casler

Re: JC's VMPS Cut or Cuts of the Day
« Reply #40 on: 28 Aug 2010, 07:37 pm »
Today's Cut o' the Day is not a cut at all but a Pandora Station I created.

JC's Cuts and Classic Rock Picks

If you like Classic Rock of the Super (and not so super) Groups of yesteryear, give this station a listen.

If it doesn't float your boat, just create YOUR OWN station (ITS FREE)

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2010, 09:40 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2010, 09:45 pm »
In keeping with my commitment to REFERENCE SOUND but in this case of the STREAMING kind I will also suggest a couple REFERENCE Internet RADIO Stations.
Here is one that streams at 320k

It is Linn (yes that Linn) out of the UK.

There are three stations:

Classical
Jazz
Radio

It can be accessed here  and  here on RadioTime

John Casler

« Reply #42 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:00 pm »
For you Audiophile Geezers like me I bet you remember. . . .

Chip Davis and Mannheim Steamroller and the FRESH AIRE Series.

Back in the 70's as I was cutting my "audiophile" teeth, I had some incredible influences.

Absolute Sound and HP

Dahlquist DQ10's and John Dahlquist

CITATION electronics by Lee Kuby of Harman Kardon

And a handfull of Vinyl Sources (many times Direct to Disc) from artists like Harry James, Buddy Rich, Dave Grusin, Thelma Houston, George Benson, and others.

One of these "unlikely" Audiophile groups was Mannheim Steamroller from Omaha Nebraska, who put out a series called FRESH AIRE.

They were a mixture of Baroque, Classical, Electronica, and quickly became Reference Material for many systems and initially were sold and distributed in Hi Fi Salons on the American Gramaphone label.  They also used some interesting instruments like the harpsichord.

Since that time they are still quite popular but more for their CHRISTMAS CDs.

Here is a cut from the very first ALBUM = Fresh Aire

Tocata from Fresh Aire III

« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2010, 03:37 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #43 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:41 pm »
While not an ORGAN buff, I found the digital video bar-graph score interpretation of this fugue (which is my favorite fugue by the way) mesmerizing.

Take a look:

PLMONROE

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm »
Hi John,

Let me throw in my 2 cents for a reference cut: Fritz Reiner conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing Richard Strauss's Also sparch Zaranthustra -- the opening track.         

For those unfamiliar this strain was used in the opening scene of "2001 Space Oddessy" where the gorilla like creatures are viewing a sun rising from behind the large black monolith.

Although there is a recent Hybrid SACD version, the original was one of the first dozen or so of classical stereo CD'c issued. It is perhaps a bit noisy, by today's standards but still fantastic by any standard-- especially for a recording half a century old! If it doesn't test your woofers nothing will! It starts out with at very soft 16hz note that increases in frequency and volume until it will rattle your room!

This is a must have.

Paul

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2010, 12:46 am by PLMONROE »

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 5 Sep 2010, 11:30 pm »
Hi John,

Let me throw in my 2 cents for a reference cut: Fritz Reiner conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing Richard Strauss's Also sparch Zaranthustra -- the opening track.         

For those unfamiliar this strain was used in the opening scene of "2001 Space Oddessy" where the gorilla like creatures are viewing a sun rising from behind the large black monolith.

Although there is a recent Hybrid SACD version, the original was one of the first dozen or so of classical stereo CD'c issued. It is perhaps a bit noisy, by today's standards but still fantastic by any standard-- especially for a recording half a century old! If it doesn't test your woofers nothing will! It starts out with at very soft 16hz note that increases in frequency and volume until it will rattle your room!

This is a must have.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Here is the Audio (and some video) of that peice.

Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 6 Sep 2010, 03:27 pm »
Personally, I'd go with this one by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

One things for sure a lot of people who've sung the song have died tragically young.

Jim C

+1!    :thumb:

john1970

« Reply #47 on: 6 Sep 2010, 04:15 pm »
Hi John,

This is a must have.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the information.  I just ordered it from Amazon with a few other CDs.  I also ordered a more modern Telarc recording of Strauss's Also sparch Zaranthustra.  It should be interesting to compare the two when I get a chance.

Cheers,

John

John Casler

« Reply #48 on: 6 Sep 2010, 04:29 pm »
Earlier in this thread I mentioned an Album by Thelma Houston.

This is the one I was talking about and I luckily still have a "pristeen" copy.

It was a Direct to Disc German pressing and distributed by Sheffield Labs.

Titled: I Got the MUSIC In Me

It featured: larry carlton, victor feldman, jim keltner, tom scott, etc as Pressure Cooker.

Thelma and Pressure Cooker

John Casler

Steely Dan
« Reply #49 on: 11 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm »

What would any Classic Reference Cut thread be without a little Steely Dan.

Walter Becker (guitar, bass) and Donald Fagen (singer, songwriter, pianist) write, and play some of the best stuff out there.

I'd be hard pressed to find cuts from these guys that "aren't" Reference Caliber.

How about

Hey Nineteen (live version) off Gaucho

Deacon Bluesoff AJA

John Casler

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2010, 07:44 pm »
While there a just so many Genre of music, I find one that generally sounds good on most ANY speaker and system and that is ELECTRONIC. (sometimes called Electronica or Techno for some versions)

Why?  Because it has no "natural, real" absolute sonic reference.  That is it is "un-natural" but can be very pleasing.

It is often encountered in the club/dance scene since it has exceptional ability to supply a driving bass line.

It is also very popular in the "New Age" soothing music crowd so it has breadth.

As well we all know it has been used to a degree with many rock groups as the keyboardists moved from Hammond and Wurlitzer Organs to synthesizers and the like.

One early group who comes to mind as a pioneer in electronic music is a group from Germany called KRAFTWERK, and they are spectacular.

The first Album I heard of theirs was Tour De France, and it was a good one.  Another group that used electronic instruments to a good advantage was VANGELIS, who is best known for his scores for BLADE RUNNER and the opening slo-mo running on the beach scene in Chariots of Fire.

I have found a dual LIVE Album of KRAFTWERK titled Minimum Maximum to be absolutely "EXCEPTIONAL" and reference quality all the way through.  On a good system you will be transorted to various venues around Europe as KRAFTWERK creates a sonic atmosphere/spaitial environment that is truly mesmerizing.  Your full speaker will be called upon to become a "transporter" to the venues.

Just see if you can listen to the Tour De France cut below and not be jumping around in your seat (not just toe tapping, but head bopping and leg jumpin) :banana piano: :singing: :hyper: :dance:

Tour De France

ELECROKARDIOGRAM

If you like this kind of music, it is hard to find a bad cut.

Also when making that "ROAD TRIP" CD for the car, it is SMOKIN'

John Casler

« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2010, 08:01 pm »
OK since I missed a couple days here is another one.

It is the VANGELIS score from BLADE RUNNER I mentioned.

This love theme cut is one I had on my Ref CUTS list for some time a few years ago and it sounds incredible on the right system.  You may want to watch the video below too.

Blade Runner-Love Theme-Full version

Housteau

« Reply #52 on: 13 Sep 2010, 03:29 am »
I had forgotten all about my Blade Runner CD.  Thanks John.  I enjoy reading about what you highlight here, as they are some of my favorites as well.

I recently came across an excellent sounding prog. rock CD that was completely new to me although it was originally released in 1975.  It is one of those recordings that will completly fill the soundstage from wall to wall and then some.  It is Spartacus by Triumvirat.

Housteau

« Reply #53 on: 13 Sep 2010, 03:36 am »
As far as electronic music goes, Alan Parsons latest release was of that genre.  It is called A Valid Path and is pure Alan Parsons.  There are hints and ties to his previous work throughout.  It is a powerful recording and a real woofer workout.

John Casler

« Reply #54 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
I had forgotten all about my Blade Runner CD.  Thanks John.  I enjoy reading about what you highlight here, as they are some of my favorites as well.

I recently came across an excellent sounding prog. rock CD that was completely new to me although it was originally released in 1975.  It is one of those recordings that will completly fill the soundstage from wall to wall and then some.  It is Spartacus by Triumvirat.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reference.

I found several cuts of this on YouTube.

Here is one

They sound very ELP and YES like in this particular cut.  My kind of sound!

John Casler

« Reply #55 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:31 pm »
As far as electronic music goes, Alan Parsons latest release was of that genre.  It is called A Valid Path and is pure Alan Parsons.  There are hints and ties to his previous work throughout.  It is a powerful recording and a real woofer workout.

And a "TASTE" of your second suggestion.  Love Alan Parsons :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:41 pm »
Today's CUTo'theDAY

Artist: Mike Oldfield

Album: Tubular Bells

Cut: Tubular Bells (title cut)

This became wildly popular as the theme from the Exorcist, but it also gained favor in the budding Audiophile community as an early reference cut.

Here is the YouTube video

John Casler

« Reply #57 on: 20 Sep 2010, 09:35 pm »
For those who like a little more relaxed "jazzy" sorta stuff, here is Rickie Lee Jones and "DAT There".

Album: I Won't Grow Up
Performer: Rickie Lee Jones
Cut: Dat Dere

Sound effects, Stand up string bass, Sax, percussion, bongos, piano, guitar, and Ricki just make this work on many Audiophile levels.

Dat Dere video

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #58 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:02 am »
Hello John...

Just above you mentioned Rickie Lee Jones (good track)....a little before that....Steely Dan. 8)

If you combined the two....you have "Showbiz Kids" from Rickie Lee Jones' album "It's Like This".

YouTube link...  :thumb: (Heard it was hot out there....some snow... :wink:)

John Casler

« Reply #59 on: 1 Oct 2010, 11:46 pm »
Hello John...

Just above you mentioned Rickie Lee Jones (good track)....a little before that....Steely Dan. 8)

If you combined the two....you have "Showbiz Kids" from Rickie Lee Jones' album "It's Like This".

YouTube link...  :thumb: (Heard it was hot out there....some snow... :wink:)

LWNY, you have it goin on. . . . .that opening stand up bass has Reference Cut written all over it.

I've driven that snow road so many times in the past that you don't forget it. 

Good find!!

Makes you re-think the line of another Steely Dan song "Ricki don't lose that number"????

Could it have been?  Maybe?