A cheap and cheerful class A/B amp

simoon

A cheap and cheerful class A/B amp
« on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:17 pm »
For those looking for a class D alternative, this looks quite interesting.

The Akitika GT-101 amp kit. $325 shipped in the continental US.

This looks like a legit amp to me. Greater than 50 watts into 8 ohms, and 100 into 4.

http://www.akitika.com/

I'm not affiliated.

simoon

Re: A cheap and cheerful class A/B amp
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm »
No interest?

I'm a little surprised.

Also looks like this amp has some room for mods, too.

I may get one at the end of April, so I'll report back once it's built.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:27 pm »
Looks pretty cool and it's inexpensive. Please keep us posted on the build. Not a lot of DIY guys on AC. Maybe DIY Audio site would be more interested.

bregez

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:00 pm »
This is probably one of the better LM3886 Gainclone amp based kits.  Including the chassis takes out much of the diy work.  I also think 50 WPC into 8 ohms is conservative for this amp.  Definitely keep us updated if you decide to build one.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:00 am »
Not saying this isn't good or even good value, but I can't imagine it sounding better than / or even as good as the TPA3116 ($13.99). I just can't believe how good this little thing is.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014, 02:00 am by Wind Chaser »

rhing

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:10 am »
Not saying is isn't good or even good value, but I can't imagine it sounding better than / or even as good as the TPA3116 ($13.99). I just can't believe how good this little thing is.

I agree with Wind Chaser. I have a heavily modified Adcom GFA-535 that I thought was really nice for a solid state Class A/B amp, but the TPA3116 Class D amp wipes the floor with the Adcom. Heck, the TPA3116 gives my modified Dynakit Stereo 35 (original iron) a good run for the money, and it's a lot less expensive.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:06 am »
Simoon,

I think it looks pretty good, but I'm really keen to try out a TPA3116 amp with a tube preamp. I keep reading about how spectacular such a combination is considering how little it costs.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:18 am »
Are you sure it's an 3886? If it is I wouldn't bother, at all.

Not these days... I've built a bunch of gainclones, and they just aren't up to snuff by today's standards.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:47 am »
Jeez guys  :lol:

I think it's a nice looking amp, though yeah more a diyaudio-level project.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:44 am »
It's for someone who likes to build, not an audiophile, not when the 3116 is around.

I lived with GC's for most of my audiophile days. For the money they were nice, better than old but not cheap commercial class D, and other things up to a point. But.... they just can't do what a 3116 can. They're forwardness was fun, but inappropriate to the accurate bliss of the class D that doesn't make that sacrafice.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:25 pm »
Very nice looking little amp. I lean towards Class D myself, but that is a personal choice. I certainly don't consider AB/chip amps (or tubes) like that to be "inferior". They aren't.
Simply different flavors for different folks.
Bravo for those folks making that choice so affordable.

cheers,

AJ