Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

steve in jersey

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #380 on: 17 Sep 2014, 12:36 pm »
Yes, appreciate & understand what you were saying. I would like an ipad, and I'm sure there's a possibility I may buy one at some point. I could imagine the app being quite addictive to use....stopping you from actually listening to what's on the player ! lol
Well, the actual beauty of using any tablet is that once you've selected any player function you can close the app & move on to any number
of other non- music player activities (literally at "your finger tips".)

Should you decide to make some music selection or other player change all you have to do is reverse the process. (As funny as this might sound I try to make whatever I do on my IPad the "background"activity or turn it off if it becomes the distraction)

Rob50

« Reply #381 on: 17 Sep 2014, 04:54 pm »
Well, the actual beauty of using any tablet is that once you've selected any player function you can close the app & move on to any number
of other non- music player activities (literally at "your finger tips".)

Should you decide to make some music selection or other player change all you have to do is reverse the process. (As funny as this might sound I try to make whatever I do on my IPad the "background"activity or turn it off if it becomes the distraction)

Thanks for info....perhaps after Christmas....I may buy one ?

Stercom

« Reply #382 on: 19 Sep 2014, 01:07 am »
I continue to be impressed by the ease of use and sound quality of the HAP-Z1ES. The automatic downloading of new content from my computer's music library surprises me everytime. I recently installed a Maestro receptacle in my listening room and upgraded my power cord on the HAP-Z1ES to a 14 gauge ZenWave Audio. The changes were easily heard and added another level of refinement to the sound. I've also tried a number of isolation products with the HAP-Z1ES and have settled on Herbie IsoCups for now. I'd enjoy hearing from others who have used various isolation feet with their HAP-Z1ES as to what they have decided on.

No one has tried other types of isolation feet on this unit? How about power cords? :scratch:

OzarkTom

« Reply #383 on: 19 Sep 2014, 01:51 am »
After doing some searching here on the net, Sony owners all over the world are complaining about the loss of the internet radio since Sept. 5. Some are saying this is probably from money issues. This report does not look very good for Sony.

Sony expects to lose more than $2 billion

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/17/investing/sony-loss/

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #384 on: 19 Sep 2014, 02:55 am »
No one has tried other types of isolation feet on this unit? How about power cords? :scratch:

I have!  :wink:

But you already know which PC I'm using and everyone else can probably guess  :lol:   The stock Sony footers are pretty good... better than typical cones... but the Herbies isocups with quartz balls are a little better. The balls used do subtly change the sound, pretty cool...

OzarkTom

« Reply #385 on: 19 Sep 2014, 03:12 am »

I amusing a Job Sweetcord with mine. That made the sound really sweet. :)

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #386 on: 19 Sep 2014, 03:14 am »
Looks like vtuner is toast for now...

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50266

Sony  :nono:

Stercom

« Reply #387 on: 19 Sep 2014, 09:36 am »
For the amount of money it appears people have in their music libraries (based on the number of tracks people say they have we are talking tens of thousands of dollars) its seems reasonable to put a few hundred dollars into an upgraded power cord and upgraded footers. Like Dave, I've been messing around with different footers, and the Herbies seem to notch-out a little better sound, but I'm still looking/experimenting with different footers/isolation platforms. I assume people are interested so I'll report back on that periodically.   

I amusing a Job Sweetcord with mine. That made the sound really sweet. :)

Thanks OzarkTom. I looked-up the Job Sweetcord. This is all I can find:

"Our new JOB 225 is so accurate and transparent that first users immediately reported their trial of various Powercords were making a big change in its sound quality. In order to allow the amplifier to be used at its maximum without a too costly exotic powercord we address the demand using the famous Goldmund Powercord they allowed us to copy. The sweetcord incorporates the smallest AC-Curator circuit ever achieved and share with its prestigious parent the special wire made for Goldmund by a well-kept-secret factory since 1987. With the standard length of 8'5" and Medical grade (US only) plug, the Sweetcord is a wonderful addition to the JOB amplifiers, and reasonable cost audio device, as everything made by JOB."

Seems interesting. Do you know what gauge and type of wire it uses? I assume you have a Job power amp so you bought one of these for the HAP-Z1ES? Did you try any other power cords?

bwillcox

« Reply #388 on: 19 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm »
For the amount of money it appears people have in their music libraries (based on the number of tracks people say they have we are talking tens of thousands of dollars) its seems reasonable to put a few hundred dollars into an upgraded power cord and upgraded footers. Like Dave, I've been messing around with different footers, and the Herbies seem to notch-out a little better sound, but I'm still looking/experimenting with different footers/isolation platforms. I assume people are interested so I'll report back on that periodically.   

Thanks OzarkTom. I looked-up the Job Sweetcord. This is all I can find:

"Our new JOB 225 is so accurate and transparent that first users immediately reported their trial of various Powercords were making a big change in its sound quality. In order to allow the amplifier to be used at its maximum without a too costly exotic powercord we address the demand using the famous Goldmund Powercord they allowed us to copy. The sweetcord incorporates the smallest AC-Curator circuit ever achieved and share with its prestigious parent the special wire made for Goldmund by a well-kept-secret factory since 1987. With the standard length of 8'5" and Medical grade (US only) plug, the Sweetcord is a wonderful addition to the JOB amplifiers, and reasonable cost audio device, as everything made by JOB."

Seems interesting. Do you know what gauge and type of wire it uses? I assume you have a Job power amp so you bought one of these for the HAP-Z1ES? Did you try any other power cords?

I'm one of those with 10s of thousands of tracks (though not on my HAP-Z1ES) and see no value in upgraded power cords or isolation feet. Back in the day when I used turntables and LPs, isolation feet made sense due to the vibration affecting the cartridge as it tracked the grooves. And I suppose it makes some sense with tube gear (that I gladly discarded almost 50 years ago) due to the various elements of the tube being affected by the vibration. But, unless you can shake the HAP enough to cause disk errors (that would be some vibration, an earthquake maybe or dropping it on the floor), I don't see it as worthwhile.

As for power cords, if I was to start worrying about the gauge and type of wire it used I'd then have to also worry about all the wiring in my house and clear back to the power station. Not gonna do that.  :roll:

steve in jersey

« Reply #389 on: 19 Sep 2014, 06:16 pm »
I'm one of those with 10s of thousands of tracks (though not on my HAP-Z1ES) and see no value in upgraded power cords or isolation feet. Back in the day when I used turntables and LPs, isolation feet made sense due to the vibration affecting the cartridge as it tracked the grooves. And I suppose it makes some sense with tube gear (that I gladly discarded almost 50 years ago) due to the various elements of the tube being affected by the vibration. But, unless you can shake the HAP enough to cause disk errors (that would be some vibration, an earthquake maybe or dropping it on the floor), I don't see it as worthwhile.

As for power cords, if I was to start worrying about the gauge and type of wire it used I'd then have to also worry about all the wiring in my house and clear back to the power station. Not gonna do that.  :roll:

While I don't think that the "Beefier the Better" approach better to power chords does much more than allow more available current to your components (which can head off "clipping" which can cause momentary distortion) I think the wire geometry used in the chord can
possibly "filter out"some" of the noise that sits in power line.

While your system's "noise floor" may be perfectly satisfactory for you, it may not be for someone else. The noise floor extends below what you think you can hear & the crazy thing about it is you really don't realize it was'nt low enough until you've lowered it. It becomes
noticeable when you start hearing "into" recordings you thought you knew sounded like "like the back of your hand". They have more things (some not necessarily to your liking,but there) going on in them then you realized. (Digital recordings can be a lot more detailed than we thought, they just have more "hash" riding in them than Analog did (other than tape machines) )

Quite seriously, power chords alone won't bring you this far, but they're a start. & like everything else in life some are better than others
in your particular system.

bwillcox

« Reply #390 on: 19 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm »
Ok, we are talking here about a device that is spec'd at 35 watts. At 120 volts that's about .3 amps. Now, 18 ga copper wire (typical "lamp cord") is rated at 10 amps, just about 30 times what this thing draws. I'm not going to bother to calculate the voltage drop over the, maybe, 6 foot long cord but I doubt that it is even a volt. This isn't a power amp (my Outlaw Audio 7900 requires two 15amp circuits connected to it) so I just don't see the point.

As for noise floor, since I can put my ear directly against the speakers and hear nothing and the volume is at a reasonable (loud) level when there's nothing playing, I'm not going to worry about that either.

However, I really should shut up. I consider this to be boarderline religion and I usually make it point to avoid discussions of religion. :)

RDavidson

« Reply #391 on: 19 Sep 2014, 07:12 pm »
While I don't think that the "Beefier the Better" approach better to power chords does much more than allow more available current to your components (which can head off "clipping" which can cause momentary distortion)......

Not sure where you heard this, but a power cord (regardless of "beefiness") will not provide more available current, and thus will not head off clipping in an amplifier (assuming you're replacing the power cord appropriately provided by the manufacturer). And even if a cord could somehow provide more current, the amp's power supply will still regulate it, the same way it would with the stock cord. Filtering is another topic entirely.

Anyway.....sorry for further derailing the thread. I just couldn't let this pass. I'm not a "believer" or "non-believer." Everyone is entitled to their own experiences, but there are some things that aren't really debatable.

steve in jersey

« Reply #392 on: 19 Sep 2014, 07:50 pm »
"Oops"  Srewed that one up ! However, I will stick to what said about "noise floor"
& probably the tremendous amt of people who pay it no mind (Heh, heh heh ,& once again my apology
for trying to wing it on the power chord info) (I guess I should abandon my plans to try to sell the Hoover Dam, huh ?)

RDavidson

« Reply #393 on: 19 Sep 2014, 07:55 pm »
"Oops"  Srewed that one up ! However, I will stick to what said about "noise floor"
& probably the tremendous amt of people who pay it no mind (Heh, heh heh ,& once again my apology
for trying to wing it on the power chord info) (I guess I should abandon my plans to try to sell the Hoover Dam, huh ?)

It's all good. And your non-defensive attitude is very welcome here. When people let their guards down, they also have a tendency to learn new things........which is always a good thing. :thumb:

bwillcox

« Reply #394 on: 19 Sep 2014, 08:01 pm »

This begs a question in my mind. Is anyone hearing any noise with the HAP-Z1ES? I haven't, but was wondering if I was simply one of the lucky ones?

OzarkTom

« Reply #395 on: 20 Sep 2014, 01:49 am »

I am not sure on the guage, but it is smaller than some other cords I have used. I bought the Sweetcord used, but I only have one. Since the Sony is before the amp, I decided to first try it there. My system was sounding a little too dry, the sweetcord corrected that up. Now it is very magical and liquid sounding. I need to buy another to use with my Job amp.

I have not tried these on the Sony yet, but for smaller components drum moon gel pads works the best. One set is $6.99 but you would need 2-4 sets to work with the Sony because of the size. My audio buddy Rex and I also tried Stillpoints and Herbies, and the moon gels sounds the best.

steve in jersey

« Reply #396 on: 20 Sep 2014, 02:38 am »
This begs a question in my mind. Is anyone hearing any noise with the HAP-Z1ES? I haven't, but was wondering if I was simply one of the lucky ones?

Please go back & read the paragraph I wrote about what a "noise floor" is & the kind of noise I'm referring
to as you seem to not understand what I was talking about

While you can't hear the type of noise I'm talking about , neither can you hear "into" (if the type of recording
warranted this type of scrutiny) all the possible micro level information that is on recording regardless of  how
good the recording sounds.  Guess what , a lot of the recordings that everyone have may be better than they
think they are. There is noise faint & as imperceptible be recognized as noise that is masking micro detail
that is'nt generated by the player.

Once again like I mentioned a low noise floor may not make any difference depending on your listening
habits & choice of listening material. It's a little humorous that you were listening to try to hear what
I was referring to, unless you are powerful Human stethoscope you could end up listening for a very long
time.

Stercom

« Reply #397 on: 20 Sep 2014, 10:15 am »
I am not sure on the guage, but it is smaller than some other cords I have used. I bought the Sweetcord used, but I only have one. Since the Sony is before the amp, I decided to first try it there. My system was sounding a little too dry, the sweetcord corrected that up. Now it is very magical and liquid sounding. I need to buy another to use with my Job amp.

I have not tried these on the Sony yet, but for smaller components drum moon gel pads works the best. One set is $6.99 but you would need 2-4 sets to work with the Sony because of the size. My audio buddy Rex and I also tried Stillpoints and Herbies, and the moon gels sounds the best.

Great info! I'll definitely check out the drum moon gel pads. I assume you're talking about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/rtom-moongel-percussion-dampening-gels  I'm also going to try a Bright Star Audio isolation platform that a friend will let me borrow.  The platform has an inflatable rubber tube inside of it so you can adjust the amount of "air-cushoning" there is. He uses it with his DAC with very good results.

bwillcox

« Reply #398 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:55 pm »
Please go back & read the paragraph I wrote about what a "noise floor" is & the kind of noise I'm referring
to as you seem to not understand what I was talking about

While you can't hear the type of noise I'm talking about , neither can you hear "into" (if the type of recording
warranted this type of scrutiny) all the possible micro level information that is on recording regardless of  how
good the recording sounds.  Guess what , a lot of the recordings that everyone have may be better than they
think they are. There is noise faint & as imperceptible be recognized as noise that is masking micro detail
that is'nt generated by the player.

Once again like I mentioned a low noise floor may not make any difference depending on your listening
habits & choice of listening material. It's a little humorous that you were listening to try to hear what
I was referring to, unless you are powerful Human stethoscope you could end up listening for a very long
time.

Well I never said that I was listening to hear noise, but rather that I didn't hear any noise. So what sort of affect to you believe this reduced noise floor would cause. If not noise...what?

steve in jersey

« Reply #399 on: 29 Sep 2014, 11:15 pm »
Well I never said that I was listening to hear noise, but rather that I didn't hear any noise. So what sort of affect to you believe this reduced noise floor would cause. If not noise...what?

The effect of a reduced "noise floor" is that there "may" be some more of the small details in the background
of whatever recording you happen to be listening to may start showing up in any number of recordings, making recordings sound less like recordings & more like live music making

& like I've said this "micro detail" may or may not even be present for entire genres of musical recordings that
are'nt heavily acoustic music based .

i do apologize if I offended you by by making the comment that I found it humorous that you were listening
for the effects I was talking about. The truth is you could be at this hobby for many years & not come across any mention of any of this , until 1 day you come across something in a recording & then you think "this must be what that "Nut" was talking about (or not)

(Hope this clears somethings up; If not don't worry about it, the HAP - Z1ES is a great sounding player whether or not this is part of the equation) (We good now?)