Timbernation

floresjc

Timbernation
« on: 9 May 2009, 02:02 am »
I'm wondering what people think of Timbernation's offerings or can share their experience. I've seen a variety of reviews that say great, and some that say worst money ever spent. Just looking for real life experience from people who's opinions I'd trust. I'm looking mainly at racks rather than isolation boards.

rpf

Re: Timbernation
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2009, 02:53 am »
I've bought a rack and two amp stands from him in curly maple. The workmanship was good and the price and sound excellent. Rix Rax quality it's not, but it's also one tenth the price.  :)

tdangelo

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2009, 03:02 am »
check out this thread I started and decide for yourself based on the pictures ;)  I hate to point it out but Timbernation's attitude is that I should lower my standards to appease him!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67334.0

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2009, 03:04 am »
I am surprised by the "worst" comment.  Its a good deal on nicely made wood products.  Like rpf said, if you are looking for Rix Rax quality at Ikea prices, you are a bit self deluted.  Still I have bought quite a number of platforms from him and all were very nice quality.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2009, 04:09 am »
I'm wondering what people think of Timbernation's offerings or can share their experience. I've seen a variety of reviews that say great, and some that say worst money ever spent. Just looking for real life experience from people who's opinions I'd trust. I'm looking mainly at racks rather than isolation boards.

Can you post a link with these "worst money ever spent" reviews?  I've bought a number of maple items from them and they've all been great and were very reasonably priced.

-Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2009, 04:17 am »

Here's the center channel speaker stand Chris built for me. I've had nothing but high quality, great price work from Chris with zero issues. Isn't there a dirty laundry policy here on AC? :scratch:

Oh yeah, why is this in Jim Salk's Circle? :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2009, 05:02 am »
JDUBS -

I don't have all these posts just bookmarked off hand, and overall, Timbernation appears to have a good rep. The link posted above by tangelo is one I have come across, and there are perhaps one or two more floating around other audio forums I have read in the past week or so, that would maybe give me pause. I'm not really expecting a diamond at coal prices, but I just wanted to kind of confirm the overall "good value for the money" rep that seems to be there by most people. No product, no matter how good or how cheap, will escape scrutiny by overly picky people, nor will any manufacturer put out a perfect product all the time, but that doesn't mean they are a bad manufacturer. Those things I understand, but just wanted to make sure that overall, this was a place I would feel good about spending some money at. This thread definitely continues that positive trend I keep hearing about.

john1970

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2009, 12:10 pm »
To whom it may concern,

I have purchased four pieces of furninture from Timbernation over the past 18 months.  The furinture includes an amp plaform, two maple / cherry coffee tables and a cherry cabinet.  IMO Timbernation is excellent value for the money.  While it is not the absolute best worksmanship, but it is very good and his prices are very reasonable.  I paid $450 / each for custom solid hardwood coffee tables with cherry top and curly maple on the apron and legs.  Walk into a furninture store and for that type of money you will be purchasing veneer coated MDF.

My only complant is that FedEx damaged the door to the cherry cabinet twice.  The first time FedEx split the door in half and Chris rebuilt a brand new door.  The second time FedEx chiped a piece out of the door and Chris sanded out the chip on the rear of the door and it is not visible from the outside of the cabinet when the door is closed.  Ideally, I would have a perfect door, but I would have hate to have seen what would have happened a third time around so Chris and I agreed to leave it as such.

Overall a very positive experience with Timbernation and I would purchase again BUT I WOULD NOT USE FEDEX!

Cheers,

John

fishinbob

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2009, 01:41 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Me too.... :shake:

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2009, 01:57 pm »
Can anyone make a statement as to turn-around time?  You know, how long from order placed to order delivered elapsed?  Great looking product at really reasonable prices.

Thanks,
JakeJ

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2009, 04:58 pm »
John,

Can you post a pic or two of the tables you had made...sounds nice.

Thanks,

Chris

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2009, 08:45 pm »

It makes Jim look good. :)

Jim has very good aesthetic sense and builds gorgeous cabinetry.

That Timbernation guy builds crude, blocky stuff and has no sense of style at all. (Some of his furniture is nicer, but his stuff for audio equipment is just uninspired.)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2009, 09:23 pm »

That Timbernation guy builds crude, blocky stuff and has no sense of style at all. (Some of his furniture is nicer, but his stuff for audio equipment is just uninspired.)

Yeah right, anything you say Turkey. :roll:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2009, 11:07 pm »

Yeah right,

anything you say Turkey. :roll:

Robin,

Shouldn't Turkey be allowed to voice his opinion?

Why attack him because he has a different viewpoint from you?

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2009, 11:59 pm »

Yeah right,

anything you say Turkey. :roll:

Robin,

Shouldn't Turkey be allowed to voice his opinion?

Why attack him because he has a different viewpoint from you?

George

Ok George, anything you say. 

JDUBS

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2009, 12:04 am »

"Inspiration", exactly what I'm looking for in reasonably priced audio furniture! :lol:

markC

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2009, 01:10 am »
Still, why is this in the Salk circle???? Perhaps Jim could chime in?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2009, 01:28 am »
Still, why is this in the Salk circle???? Perhaps Jim could chime in?

I think Turkey answered that question to Zybar's delight. :lol:

Rasta

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2009, 02:10 am »
Sometimes I just wish Satfut would go away.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2009, 02:28 am »
Sometimes I just wish Satfut would go away.

:cry: