misbehaving volume control

ricmon

misbehaving volume control
« on: 30 Jan 2016, 05:10 pm »
Hello AVA.  My Ultura II pre volume knob is stuck in the full on position ( max volume).  I would like to remove the knob and try to clean it with some contact cleaner before sending it back to you guys.  How do I remove the knob?.

Thanks
Ric

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: misbehaving volume control
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2016, 05:27 pm »
 :o Geez Ric, got any windows left in the house ? Here's wishing a quick easy fix.

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2016, 05:53 pm »
Super bad timing... Just got a new SVS Ultra sub I'm trying to setup.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2016, 06:39 pm »
I'm sure Frank, Dean, or Larry will get back to you, but in the meantime....I just checked mine and there is an allen head set screw that should allow you to remove the knob. Access on mine is at 12 0'clock with the level line @ 9 AM. ymmv

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2016, 06:43 pm »
There are 2 set screws on the large volume control knob. They are about 120° apart, opposite side that the pointer is pointing at. It requires an allen wrench, size is 1/16".

Wayner

ricmon

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2016, 10:12 pm »
Thanks Wayner.  I need a longer allen wrench.  Guess it's a trip to Radio Shack.

ricmon

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm »
OK. It wasn't the volume control.  It appears after connecting and reconnecting my new sub several times I plugged the left channel into one line out and one of the input ports.  I moved the connection to the line out port but now one channel plays on both sides of the balance control with only one channel connected to the amp.  Somethings seriously wrong.

Ric

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2016, 10:51 pm »
The only good way to connect a sub to an AVA system is thru the (hopefully) subs "high inputs" via the amplifier's outputs. And I'm ass/u/ming that your sub has high level inputs. Maybe we need a little more info on the sub to help you out. Model number would help...

ner

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm »
Just a.brain dead move.  I've had a sub hooked up to this pre since it was a TR7 to the line out ports.  Now...what the Hell is wrong with this thing.  Some of the parts in this pre are very old with a lot of playing time on them.  It went from a TR7 to Ultra II last year.

Ric

ricmon

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:00 pm »
Just a quick update: When trying to use both pre-outs (1&2) it appears the cable I was using on pre-out 1 (a RCA to XLR) was causing the problem with the channel balance.  That cable for some reason was causing the pre to malfunction.  After replace that cable with RCA to RCA interconnects both channels play perfectly through both pre-outs 1-2.

Ric

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:28 pm »
Goody!

GentleBender

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:37 pm »
Glad to hear it was something much easier than packing, shipping and praying.  :beer:

ricmon

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:12 am »
Yep, not only is it nice to not have to send it back.  The new SVS SB-13 is f- ing awesome.