Anyone used a Monarchy audio DIP or Upsampler with the CI VDA 2?

martinr

Am considering buying the latest Monarchy DIP/Upsampler combo - has anyone tried the Monarchy Audio Dip or upsampler with the VDA-2?  Impressions?

Thanks

Martin

BobMajor

I used to use the Monarchy DIP Classic with the VDA-1. If the cables going in and out of the DIP were excellent then it definitely provided an improvement out of my Sony CD player via glass optical cable. I'm now using Empirical Audio Offramp 3 via USB from computer which is a vast improvement into the VDA-2.

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
Am considering buying the latest Monarchy DIP/Upsampler combo - has anyone tried the Monarchy Audio Dip or upsampler with the VDA-2?  Impressions?

Thanks

Martin

Martin,

I currently use the Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96 Upsampler in my system, taking a feed out of my Olive music server's hard drive and upsampling to 24 bits at 96Khz, which is fed into my Monarchy Audio NM24 tube-driven DAC.  According to Mr. Poon of Monarchy, using the 96Khz setting permits cleaner pulses (assuming a good DAC) for better replay of percussion music.

I have put in an order for the new Monarchy Audio DIP Combo, which combines the Classic DIP function with the upsampling function.  The only difference I can see is that the 48Khz upsampling no longer will be available as an option.  It will be either 44.1Khz -- standard Redbook -- or 96Khz.

Okay, my impressions: Well for me I really like what Mr. Poon has done.  My Olive music server needed a more refined DAC and I have that in the Monarchy NM24.  But as much as I like the DAC I feel the music is more coherent and less edgy using the DIP Upsampler.  I hope the substitution of the DIP Combo, which has improved performance of both the DIP Classic and DIP Upsampler, will give me even more of a good thing!  And I like the fact that I now will be able to easily flip a switch on the unit's front panel to compare 44.1Khz and 96Khz samples!   :drool:

martinr

Thanks Flashman -
I pulled the plug and have ordered the new Dip upsampler combo as well, hope to have it in a few days.  I'll be running it out of my Marantz 5 disc changer - (I know Im old fashioned), and I hope it will provide a better bit stream to the CI VDA2 and make a noticeable difference in my system, especially with the lower end CDP...I purchased a Blue Jean coax to run from the upsampler to the VDA 2 - I couldn't see spending big $$ for a cable at this point.   I'll let you know how it sounds once I have it installed  :thumb:

- Martin

Flashman

Thanks Flashman -
I pulled the plug and have ordered the new Dip upsampler combo as well, hope to have it in a few days.  I'll be running it out of my Marantz 5 disc changer - (I know Im old fashioned), and I hope it will provide a better bit stream to the CI VDA2 and make a noticeable difference in my system, especially with the lower end CDP...I purchased a Blue Jean coax to run from the upsampler to the VDA 2 - I couldn't see spending big $$ for a cable at this point.   I'll let you know how it sounds once I have it installed  :thumb:

- Martin

Martin,

I look forward to your comments about the DIP Combo.  I have bought three items from Mr. Poon: the NM24 tube-driven DAC/pre-amp, the DIP Upsampler and a modified Luxman LE-109 phono amp.  I like working with Mr. Poon because he is honest, offers value-priced but great quality products and is always tinkering with something!  My DIP Combo will be on its way soon and I will post comments as well.

All best, Flashman

Flashman

Just got the Monarchy DIP Combo yesterday and installed it last evening.  I made some other system changes so it's difficult to localize the exact impact of the DIP Combo.  The other change was to install the Monarchy-purchased Ohno OCC continuous cast speaker wire ($69 for a ten-foot pair with banana plugs).  I figured it was so inexpensive I might as well try it.

Well, without even breaking in the speaker wire, the combination of the two purchases has taken my system up a notch.  I can't wait until the speaker wire settles in.  Not sure whether the Combo requires any break-in.

I realize I haven't given anyone much of a review of the Combo.  I had a DIP Upsampler before and with the addition of the speaker wire I can't be all that conclusive about its specific effects.  All I know is that my system synergy is pretty awesome right now!

martinr

Thats great Flashman!  I believe my Dip Upsampler is pretty much fully broken in...I have about 30 hours on it.....I would describe the effect as system transformational   :drool: in my system.  Definitely brought the front end to a new level.  I'm going to purchase a better digital cable, let it break in and then give a full review. 

DARTH AUDIO

I currently use the Monarchy DIP/Upsampler between my Apple TV and me Cullen Modified PS Audio DLIII. It's control of the jitter made a huge difference in my system. The sound was much smoother, analog like. I also believe the Cullen Modified DAC plays a big roll in that as well. The DIP/Upsampler is a great buy!!

Enjoy,

Gary

martinr

Heres a link to my review of the Morachy DIP/Upsampler used with CI audio VDA 2 and pwer supply:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77915.msg737805;topicseen#new

rocky

Thanks for sharing this nice information. I appreciated your all post. All are full informative and useful for blogger. If all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Keep it up.

martinr

Hope it was useful to you
 :eyebrows:

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
hi can I use this between a transport and a DAC?

Example.

Oppo 93  (transport) -> Monarchy DIP upsmapler -> Eximus DP-1 DAC ??

will I get gain enough benefit from the DIP upsampler putting it between the trasnport and the DAC?