A Bryston by any other name..........................

bloodredshadows

Re: A Bryston by any other name..........................
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2013, 11:56 am »
UPDATE:

Well I'm happy to report, yes, it really was as simple as that.
Disconnect and disregard the rear module plug-in, and wire up some RCA's to a 4-pin plug, and plug into the left side of the 'loom's' plug, (which is where the two signal leads terminate) and your away.
The rear connectors then act as normal speaker outs.

:D

Hi guys

I'm new here and have just picked up a Sonics 800x and am desperate to convert it to a stereo amp.

Is there any chance you could give me some real "idiot's guide" to this process?

I'm quite new to working with electronics but am reasonably adept with a soldering iron.

Any pics would really help my cause as well.

Thanks in advance, this thread has already been a revelation!

John

bobbysdad

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2013, 01:58 pm »
Hi guys

I'm new here and have just picked up a Sonics 800x and am desperate to convert it to a stereo amp.

Is there any chance you could give me some real "idiot's guide" to this process?

I'm quite new to working with electronics but am reasonably adept with a soldering iron.

Any pics would really help my cause as well.

Thanks in advance, this thread has already been a revelation!

John

Hello John,

Firstly, you will need a #1 square drive bit, so to be able to flip the lid off.
You will also need a very small Allen key to remove the rear panel. (Sonics Mono Module).
Once you can see inside, look to the right rear of the amplifier at the Mono Module, and you'll see a loom with a multi-pin plug on the end of it that is connected to the module.
Disconnect this plug. IT WILL NOT NEED TO BE RECONNECTED to the mono module. The Mono Module does not need to be used any more.

Now for convenience sake, try to find a 4 pin male connector/plug that will comfortably fit the first 4 sockets of the now disconnected female multi socket plug. (it's easier than cutting and re-soldering etc....)
MOST IMPORTANT: The first 4 are the ONLY ones that need connecting to.

If you take a real close look at them, you'll notice that two of the sockets/wires are Signal Input +(ve), and the other two are Signal Ground -(ve). 
It's not difficult to tell which is which. One goes to one channel, and the other goes to the other. Once you see it, it all becomes very obvious.

Solder some leads with RCA plugs to your new 4 pin connector, and plug it into the female connector as mentioned above.
This will get you up and running. Not wanting to drill any new holes anywhere, I've just got a flying pair of leads for now, which can be fed out of the right hand rear corner even with the lid back on.
Feel free to mount plugs or RCA sockets wherever you want.

Sorry no pix, but it's really quite obvious once you have it in front of you.

Good luck....

bloodredshadows

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2013, 09:08 pm »
Bobby'sDad you are an absolute star!  I will get right down to business when I can.  I'm following what I'm guessing is you on the other forum?

bobbysdad

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:59 am »
Bobby'sDad you are an absolute star!  I will get right down to business when I can.  I'm following what I'm guessing is you on the other forum?

You are most welcome.    :green:
Please post your results so others may benefit.

(btw: are you talking about my IMAX thread at Heritage or my current mad ravings at Phoenix? just curious.)

olejkodf

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2018, 06:41 pm »
I have a pair of these Sonics 800x amps, but I want to run them in parallel mono mode. The Bryston 7B has a switch that allows this functionality. Anyone know how I might re-wire the Sonics to get this functionality? I’m using them to drive some Thiel Cs3.6 speakers which run at low ohms.