Challenge - Warning - Very Difficult to Do

charmerci

Re: Challenge - Warning - Very Difficult to Do
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:30 am »
Hmm, reading has me thinking. I'd like to do a US trip to AC members homes who say that they are happy with their systems so I can hear them!  :lol:

Mr.Retro

« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2018, 04:56 am »
Like many of you I spend a great deal of time just enjoying what I have. I have a set of 4 vintage amps that I will switch to if I want to soak up the retro sound for a while, ( a while generally turns out to be several months ) or I occasionally mix and match ( as I am currently )  I can't say however that I don't think about tweeks, or changes, but I mull things over for a long time. I certainly don't often feel the pressing need to implement "improvements" into the system.  When it comes to gear, in the past I have had a specific goal in mind and then take my time to be at peace with the decision. Once made it feels more like an end point than an interim. ( I can't say that was true however when I started out.  This is a reflection of where I am now )  I'm guessing I haven't touched the hi fi or listening room for at least  6 mo. Its more about enjoying the music.  Charmerci, any time your in Chicago your welcome to stop in and visit a happy camper.  I guess that's the bottom line isn't it, I'm happy with what I have.

mhconley

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2018, 10:42 am »
I have not made any changes to my system in at least two years. I thoroughly enjoy the sound and regularly listen to music. The closest thing to a change I’ve made is that I recently moved all my digital music onto a new Synology ds918+ NAS server. I love my system.

Martin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2018, 11:26 am »
My usual response to gear outside my system (friends, shops, shows) is to immediately dismiss it as inferior (proud papa or just conditioned?).  This comes largely from having a room that is superior, not liking/being familiar with the music being played, and having audiophile tastes from the 70's (modern speakers for instance sound bass/body/tone 'constipated' to me).

Last year did home audition a preamp and DAC that no doubt are better than mine, but I sent them packing as while they made 10% of my library (iTunes ripped CDs) sound better they also made 30% (the non-audiophile recordings) sound worse (is that a sad 'end of the road' realization? - perhaps a good spin-off topic).  Just prior was on the Audio Circle audition tour for the iFi micro iTube2 and found it useless or worse in my system. 

Later on did add nice used subs to the audio and A/V systems.  In the past couple of years having compared "reasonably priced" USB and interconnect single ended cables (again too old fart to spend serious coin on wires), settling instead on balanced cables instead to avoid the marketing crap of consumer cables.

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2018, 11:44 pm »
Charmerci, any time your in Chicago your welcome to stop in and visit a happy camper.  I guess that's the bottom line isn't it, I'm happy with what I have.

Well that's very nice of you. As it happens, I may see my good friend next winter (yeah, I know) in the burbs of Chicago, so I may take you up! What's your system? (I know people besides me here want to know.)

Early B.

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2018, 01:01 am »
The challenge itself is not difficult at all -- it's only two weeks. My question is why challenge audiophiles to stop tinkering? That's what audiophiles do -- we tinker. If we didn't constantly experiment with our system, this forum would be very dull. Imagine most of the AC members saying, "I'm happy with my system and don't plan to make any more changes in the foreseeable future." That would be booooariinnggg.

MttBsh

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:26 am »
I'm sure we all run across those who have just bought their "end game" component and they are "done" with upgrades. I just laugh. Do they really believe what they're saying? Maybe for a few months....

Mr.Retro

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2018, 03:06 am »
charmerci, all horns, (including sub) tubes on top, SS on bottom. Let me know when your in town.  BTW, if I'm honest with myself I clearly recognize that my current state of contentment came after years of upgrades, improvements and tweaking.  I know I'm good for two weeks now!
:  )

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm »
I'm sure we all run across those who have just bought their "end game" component and they are "done" with upgrades. I just laugh. Do they really believe what they're saying? Maybe for a few months....

I think if you are lucky you can at least get a portion or a component of your system stabilized and anchor to it.  I have great (not real expensive but excellent sounding) mono block amps - I shop Pass Labs. My Cary pre is excellent in my system- I look at BAT and BHK.  However I don't shop DACs (I have a 100% PC based / digital system). I know I can't do any better and even if I could, I probably can't afford to.  So there is my anchor/stability. My speakers I just upgraded this year so I'm good till at least 2019.    Love this hobby..

guest61169

« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:33 pm »
For your challenge would you consider allowing free moves of speakers and/or listening position if the moves are less than one foot? Would hate to lose out on the challenge just for little moves like that.

charmerci

« Reply #30 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:52 pm »
charmerci, all horns, (including sub) tubes on top, SS on bottom. Let me know when your in town.  BTW, if I'm honest with myself I clearly recognize that my current state of contentment came after years of upgrades, improvements and tweaking.  I know I'm good for two weeks now!

Sure - thanks... if you're still around this late fall.  :thumb:  Some people just disappear from the forum...

All horns? Gallo?

[/size]

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:54 pm »
Going back from today....
Today looking at SPDIF digital IC at CableCo.
Thinking of 1.5m DH Labs Silver Sonic D750..
(also curious about Van Den Hul The One.. but passed)
Yesterday bought yet another 5 disc changer off eBay
And a Lifatec Toslink 10 ft direct from company
Thursday (three days ago) I put down a deposit on a $7000 SACD player
And returned the dealer's one from a five day loan.
Played with dealer demo machine all week back to...
Back a week on Saturday picked up the Marantz SA-10 from dealer to demo.

Thursday before that I went and refinanced my car for $11k at 2.99% 3 years to cover the final $4000 still on CC from buying the Maggies. Danger! Danger! at 21.5% no way did I not want to pay it off in full as usual! Car was all mine, so cashing in no problem. And then I have another pile of money to spend on MORE stereo crap. (the interest on the whole car way more money loan is less than even a few extra months on the CC, plus the CC goes back and collect interest from day charged..$200 right there in additional cost I can avoid) And if i pay the car loan off early like I always do. Hell then I can refinance it all over again for some more audio toys ... PLAN AHEAD.)

Three weeks back get replacement Magnepan 20.7s. Starting break in all over again.
Five weeks ago got original new Magnepan 20.7s
(and NO I will not restate the whole story for you)
Restructured rack out of boredom, cleaned off too.

Seven weeks ago decided to 'go for it' and put down payment on Magnepan 20.7
A 'now or never' decision. Who needs a pile of money in the bank???

Went to dealer looking for Kimber VS speaker cable.. No got in stock. The place felt like a haunted house... I had not been there in a few years, and this shows the DANGER in inadvertently going to a dealer.. the hook is back in...Since that day just two months ago I spent $21,000 plus tax there.
WTF??? Not sure how this even happened?
(I am lying. I know exactly what I did and how it went down.)

So clearly I could never take the challenge. LOL

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #32 on: 14 Apr 2018, 09:25 pm »
I like the way you think Elizabeth.  :thumb:
Cheers,
Lester

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #33 on: 14 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm »
Her story in some minor aspects has a familiar ring to it.  I think I'm going to sell my stuff and become a monk. Maybe I can find Cat Stevens.....

charmerci

« Reply #34 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:12 pm »
Elizabeth - you should be able to find a CC with a 0% CC interest rate (6 month) with transfer balance.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #35 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:47 pm »
Elizabeth - you should be able to find a CC with a 0% CC interest rate (6 month) with transfer balance.

To everyone else sorry to go off topic.
I had cards. all sorts. I now have one card I like. No need for any others.
I find the high interest rate to be a great positive. Means I will never let the total balance roll over and have to pay the ridiculous rate. They are also great at stopping fraud.
Plus I get lots of cash back
Hundreds back recently. LOL.

Back to the topic....

Mr.Retro

« Reply #36 on: 15 Apr 2018, 09:38 pm »
Elizabeth, would you do my Taxes?
Charmerci - - yes, all true horns
I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by the range of answers given to the challenge, but as a new member I wasn't anticipating seeing so many people relatively content with where they are and on the other end so many people who are actively engaged in pursuing their vision of audio excellence. The audiophile journey, though shared by us all, seems in some respects remarkably diverse.

The challenge, if I interpret it correctly, implies that we  are not only  influenced by a desire to continually work on "improving" our audio experience, but that we would need to exert a conscious effort during this week to resist doing so in one fashion or another. 
As you know I fall into the audio content group, but....... For the next week will even the thoughts of what I might do, how I might improve, maintenance to be done, what could enhance the experience,  float innocently across my mind? Or will they be kept at bay.
 Like Jimmy Carter once said, I know I will lust in my heart....

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #37 on: 15 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm »
Making changes every couple of weeks can take significant time, effort, and/or money.  Newbies have farther to grow but if you've been at this for awhile all those changes could really add up to a bunch of nervosa.  Us old farts hopefully have settled down into a system we finally like.

gonefishin

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:38 am »

What type of horn system, horn sub?  I gave my brother my horn sub, no more room for it.

I'm also in the Chicago area and perfectly  content with my current system.  I recently bought a dac, but that was to deal with streaming from a dongle.  It wasn't to replace any components in my system.

Before that, it's been about 4 years since I've set up my current setup.  Before that I had my system tri-amped with a deqx-p running it all.  The big change in my system came when I moved to a smaller house.  We didn't have room for all the equipment,  so I sold a lot of it.  Now my speakers are run by one el34 integrated and I couldn't be happier.  No more dedicated listening room, but it's in our main family room where I use it at my will. 

As an audiophile I think its important to establish improvements from simply a difference.   So many times we perceive an initial difference and lable it an improvement.

Next tweak to my system?  Probably a few new cd's

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #39 on: 16 Apr 2018, 02:15 am »
Maybe this could be considered cheating, but I rarely change things with my system over such a brief time span. If I do make a change, it's only one thing and it stays until I have a full grip on the sonics. Two weeks? More like two months.

I just re-set the M-Audio AV40's that I use as a computer / light listening setup, and the speakers will stay there for, probably, the next year.

The main system I haven't moved the speakers in quite a while (bachelor, they stay where I want them to stay) and won't be at least until this challenge is over. I have switched out cables over that time, but I'm OK with leaving those as is. Plus I recently installed a new cartridge in the REGA, and want to listen to it for a while yet, so that won't be changing either. As long as a tube doesn't die, which I don't expect to happen, I'm good to go.

There is music playing on *something* every day. So this stuff does get used.