Parametric Equalizer plug in for Jriver media center?

Mike B.

I am looking for a graphic parametric eq that will plug into jriver. Has anyone had success doing this?

Phil A

Mike B.

Re: Parametric Equalizer plug in for Jriver media center?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2018, 08:05 pm »
Thanks Phil. I have a hard time finding stuff at their forum. I did a search and found mention of plug-ins. Appreciate the link

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2018, 11:10 pm »
Thanks Phil. I have a hard time finding stuff at their forum. I did a search and found mention of plug-ins. Appreciate the link

Mike - agree - sometimes I just search (via Google) for the term with jRiver or just go here - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Main_Page

I had a tough time when I first got JRiver many years back but have since learned a couple of tricks here or there.  I use a Lumin U1 and their App in the main system for almost the past year but still use JRiver in a few back-up systems.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2018, 10:07 am »
JRiver supports the VST protocol
Google a bit on "graphic equalizer VST"

An example: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/05/11/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-graphic-equalizer-vst-plugins/

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2018, 05:44 am »
You don't need anything extra.  JRiver has its own parametric eq that is extremely flexible.

From the menu, click on Player > DSP Studio

and then, in the left menu, click on Parametric Equalizer.  I am using it to smooth out some room effects in my desktop system, and it works great for me. Very transparent!

Hope that helps.

Mike

P.S. I agree, the lack of real documentation is an issue with JRiver Media Center. The Forum can be helpful. The Wiki can be helpful too, but much of the information is outdated.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2018, 01:21 pm »
I have been using the built in Parametric EQ. I would have preferred a 20 band EQ with sliders. Both built in options have adjustments that effect a minimum of one octave. No problem at the lower frequencies but to broad above 2k

mojave

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2018, 03:03 pm »
I have been using the built in Parametric EQ. I would have preferred a 20 band EQ with sliders. Both built in options have adjustments that effect a minimum of one octave. No problem at the lower frequencies but to broad above 2k
You can adjust the Q and make the filter affect as many octaves as you want. The "minimum" effective adjustment JRiver is .04 octaves which is a Q of 20. If you use a Q of .05, then it will affect 4 octaves above and 4 octaves below your set frequency.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer

To see what the filters are doing in JRiver, you go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Audio Calibration and then select "Pink noise at -20 dBFS" and press play. Press Ctrl + D to bring up DSP Studio and go to the Analyzer. I click Options at the top right and select "Process independently of internal volume" so that it shows the analyzer as if full volume was being used. After you add a filter, you can go back to Analyzer and visually see the change. Here is a 10,000 Hz filter, Q=.05, Gain=-20dB vs no filter. I used an extreme example to show what it can do.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2018, 03:45 pm »

That's what I use in JRiver. Funny, because I didn't notice it had a Parametric EQ! (Which is just below the EQ! See screen shot above!  :duh:  )

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2018, 03:55 pm »
Good to know about the bandwidth. I thought the lowest Q was 1. I am using REW and a calibrated mic to measure room response at my listening position.

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2018, 04:22 pm »
I'm glad to see the bandwidth question was straightened out. For those who might find it useful, the relationship between bandwidth and q is well explained in a Rane technical note.