transporting maggies 1.7 and 3.6

Paul McNeil

transporting maggies 1.7 and 3.6
« on: 20 Jan 2018, 01:00 am »
I'm moving overseas with may Maggies (1.7 and 3.6). I've all the original packing materials, including these metal strips, which were stuck magnetically to the speakers when they were delivered (a long time ago). The strips don't seem to stick,magnetically, to the front of 1.7s. I think that the slot on the back of the 3.6s is the place for their metal strip, no? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

*Scotty*

Re: transporting maggies 1.7 and 3.6
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2018, 01:18 am »
The metal strip on the 3.6s is there so that the ribbon tweeter doesn't get destroyed while being placed in the box. When the panel is placed in the box, air is displaced and wants to blow out from under the panel and through the tweeter slot. This small pressure differential between front side of the tweeter and the back is enough to blow it apart without the metal strip in place.
 Your 1.7 does not have the same tweeter design as the 3.6 and can't be damaged merely by placing it in the box.
A word to the wise, never dust either side the tweeter slot on a 3.6 with a vacuum cleaner, you can suck the ribbon right out of slot.
Scotty

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:12 am »
Yes the metal strips belong to the 3.6 and yes they go into the slots on the back covering the ribbon tweeters.

Agree. the 3.6 should not be moved* without the packing metal strip added in place.
And yes it is to avoid blowing out the extremely fragile ribbon.
Even a half inch of dropping the speaker flat can easily blow out the tweeter ribbon.
And this could happen with the speaker IN THE BOX.

*with the speaker upright at home, you can move them around the room and not worry

Paul McNeil

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:41 am »
Thanks Scotty and Elizabeth. I've got it for the 3.6s. But the 1.7s were also shipped with a metal strip (~ 2/3 the tweeter, panel radiating surface, length) and there is no obvious place to put this, though I have, on second attempt, found that it does adhere magnetically over the tweeter domain, but where exactly to place it. All of the way on the far side the speaker, but that's just over a part of the tweeter region?? There is no slot as on the the 3.6...

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:45 am »
Call or email the factory before packing the 1.7, that metal has to be in there for some reason. The owner's manual says it is on the front of the speaker during unpacking, so putting it back where it came from makes sense.
Scotty

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:07 pm »
I don't recall a metal strip with my 1.7s.  Maybe that was added after they were having problems with freight companies letting to the boxes do belly flops, there was initially a few reports of damaged speakers when they came out. 
Let me ask Wendall for you.

I'm told the question was already answered directly but maybe this will help somebody else in the future:

They are placed reasonably close to the tie-down buttons in the middle of the diaphragm. It reduces the risk of air pressure damage from shipping (dropping on a flat, hard surface).​

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2018, 06:01 pm »
If the 1.7 had it.. I would think even a strip of clear packing tape over the area would do what the metal strip was for.
It would stick well enough to the cloth to save the tweeter. and peel off afterwards.

Archguy

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:38 am »
I don't recall a metal strip with my 1.7s.  Maybe that was added after they were having problems with freight companies letting to the boxes do belly flops, there was initially a few reports of damaged speakers when they came out. 
Let me ask Wendall for you.

I'm told the question was already answered directly but maybe this will help somebody else in the future:

They are placed reasonably close to the tie-down buttons in the middle of the diaphragm. It reduces the risk of air pressure damage from shipping (dropping on a flat, hard surface).​

These are so fragile with respect to shipping that I wonder Magnepan doesn't hire a couple guys and a truck to make deliveries all around the country.  The factory is located midway between east & west coasts so it would be a natural place to stop and refill the stock.  They could even resupply their dealers this way.  The loss factor ought to approach zero, which could make the enterprise self-supporting if not better.

Then I got to thinking--a lot of audio equipment is fragile, and the forums are full of horror stories.  Is this a business opportunity?  StereoShippers™ ??  AudioEnvoy™ ??  Class"A"Couriers??  Come on guys, help me out here.