Modest Priced CDP Recommendations Please

Don_S

Modest Priced CDP Recommendations Please
« on: 28 Dec 2016, 01:46 am »
My sister's Sony CDP only lasted 23 years. Recommendations for a new one please.  Sticking with the forum rules $350 max. :rules:  But if you can recommend a beauty for $400 PM me.  :no_see: :lol:

That is not a pond I fish in so I need help.  I did look at the offerings from Audiovisor and lean toward recommending an NAD.

decal

Re: Modest Priced CDP Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2016, 04:32 am »
I highly recommend the NAD C 516BEE. $299.99.  I owned one a few years back and it sounded great with everything I paired it up with.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2016, 04:52 am »
I second the Marantz.  I have a friend that has a 5004 and it sounds great.  Also bought from accessories 4 less.  If she does not need the usb and dac ability then save some money and go with the 5005

KR500

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:09 am »
TASCAM CD200 . Amazon or B+H has them for around $200 shipped .
I looked around for a good reliable CDP after my Marantz transport malfunctioned  a minute after the warranty expired and the TASCAM has a dynamite transport and is really well built .
That was quite a few years ago now and it still works great . It has rack ears for DJ use but they come off if desired in 2 minutes with a screwdriver
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2016, 02:37 pm by KR500 »

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm »
I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm thinking about getting a dedicated CD player as well. But my budget is more like $100. I'm thinking used is probably the way to go at $100. I need something that works well with burned CD-Rs, as my wife inherited a bunch of live bootleg Dylan from her father she wants to listen to. I saw someone recommend the Oppo DV-981 HD on another forum. Anyone agree with that or have other suggestions?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:10 am »
I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm thinking about getting a dedicated CD player as well. But my budget is more like $100. I'm thinking used is probably the way to go at $100. I need something that works well with burned CD-Rs, as my wife inherited a bunch of live bootleg Dylan from her father she wants to listen to. I saw someone recommend the Oppo DV-981 HD on another forum. Anyone agree with that or have other suggestions?

The Teac CD P1260 is the little brother to the Tascam recommended above, no digital out or pitch control, going for $98 on Amazon.  Tascam is Teac's commercial line and is, I assume, built a little more robustly.  The Tascam was reviewed as excellent with CD-Rs and wav file CDs, don't know how much that translates down market, but they're both Teac drives.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2016, 01:51 pm »

What about a DVD player? $35-$50 though I can't speak to how good they sound for audio these days.

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:23 pm »

15o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-DVD-SACD-DIVX-Player-Upscaling-HDMI-Model-DV-981HD-With-Box-/232190062466?hash=item360f9b2f82:g:SucAAOSw5cNYZXJ1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-DV-981HD-DVD-SACD-DIVX-Player-Upscaling-HDMI-Region-Free-/132005326439?hash=item1ebc216e67:g:VfgAAOSwiDFYLKMh

yeldarb

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2016, 10:10 pm »
Onkyo C-7030

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:32 am »
Onkyo C-7030

Yeah, I was going to suggest that, but a little below what the op was looking for and a little over what pinkfloyd was looking for.  But a really good bargain at the $159 sale price.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:01 am »
Cool thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking into all of them now.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is pitch control necessary on a CD player? I thought that was a turntable thing?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2016, 08:16 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but why is pitch control necessary on a CD player? I thought that was a turntable thing?
Well, I suppose it could be used to compensate for wear, but mostly musicians will use it to tune to their non-tuneable instruments such as vibraphone, marimba and xylophone as well as piano, which is of course tuneable but impractical.

Steve

Dynky

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2016, 08:37 am »
Generally speaking, pitch is (exactly as on turntables) used to "align" 2 records' BPM (beats per minute), so you can actually beat-mix.  Without a pitch, that is almost impossible.

Another reason is to alter the playback speed significantly on songs of a certain genre/era, I for example have a few records left from my "new beat" period in the days (big here in Belgium at the time), which are impossible to listen to at their normal speed, but when I play those back at -8% pitch value, they become instant classics to some of us (older folks :D)

On turntables you'd change records from their normal 45rpm to 33+8% for example.  On a CD-player that particular kind of adjustment is not possible, as you aren't offered such a great "spread", but nevertheless a pitch can be useful, depending on your type of use of the CDP or preferred musical styles :wink:

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:56 pm »
Onkyo C-7030

Was reading up on this player and despite some modest dated components, people do rave about its appearance and sound quality. I would advise if anyone purchases from Amazon that they spend a few more bucks and get an extended warranty. The lasers may be a point of premature failure.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2016, 07:27 pm »
Was reading up on this player and despite some modest dated components, people do rave about its appearance and sound quality. I would advise if anyone purchases from Amazon that they spend a few more bucks and get an extended warranty. The lasers may be a point of premature failure.

Yeah, I saw all the raves about the C-7030 too.  Where'd you see about the lasers dying though, Amazon reviews?

I think I may wait and save up a little longer and spring for it. Or maybe hold out for a used one in nice condition to pop up.

EDIT: Hmm, now I see the negative reviews when about it not recognizing or properly playing perfectly good commercially-made CDs. Same for the TEAC CD-P1260. You'd think they could have these things figured out by now after 30+ years  :dunno:  Hmmmm now I'm not sure which direction to go. Maybe I'll ask if anyone on my local circle has anything they'd let go for around $100
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016, 08:31 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »

cujobob

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2017, 04:48 am »
Yeah, I saw all the raves about the C-7030 too.  Where'd you see about the lasers dying though, Amazon reviews?

I think I may wait and save up a little longer and spring for it. Or maybe hold out for a used one in nice condition to pop up.

EDIT: Hmm, now I see the negative reviews when about it not recognizing or properly playing perfectly good commercially-made CDs. Same for the TEAC CD-P1260. You'd think they could have these things figured out by now after 30+ years  :dunno:  Hmmmm now I'm not sure which direction to go. Maybe I'll ask if anyone on my local circle has anything they'd let go for around $100

Yeah several Amazon reviews mentioned similar laser issues. Also, there was a good breakdown about why it sounds so good from a technical perspective too. Other than the laser issue, seems like a well designed player and I think would be a great option.

Audio Refugee

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2017, 06:37 pm »
I'm also on the hunt for a new to me CD/P or CD/T. I'm looking for small footprint, SPDIF Coax or TOS-link optical output, fast load and read, and low vibration for as cheap as possible. So far the Teac PD-301, Pro-Ject CD Box S and possibly the Denon DCD50 have coughs my eye. I've read great reviews about the Marantz CD6005, but it's much larger than I'd like go. Anyone have experience with the first three, or have other suggestions?

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2017, 01:30 pm »
Just a heads up: Amazon has the C-7030 for $140 right now