Best sounding live albums

K.F.

Re: Best sounding live albums
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2015, 06:45 pm »
Hope, Hugh Makasela
Yes, Hope is one of the best live albums ever recorded.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2015, 06:14 am »
Chris Botti in Boston...

Nice jazz album...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2015, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for your topic, K.F.  Keep em coming. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2015, 02:59 pm »
In vinyl the Focus Live at the Rainbow had a stunning sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-a1PLxhuQc

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:31 am »
Go for It...Live! - Fu Manchu

http://www.allmusic.com/album/go-for-itlive!-mw0000040404

I stumbled on that one a few years ago and was stunned how great it sounded - music and recording-wise.

Another more obvious audiophile favorite is Nils Lofgren / Acoustic Live, especially the "Keith Don't Go" track. That one will make even a clock radio sound great.

PA

« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:42 pm »
This one comes highly recommended;
http://www.soundliaison.com/
Monty Alexander Trio alumni Paul Berner has made an achingly beautiful '' Americana Jazz'' album, with reed player Michael Moore in top form, practically speaking to you with his clarinet and saxophone. The album employing two guitars and no drums makes Bill Frisell come to mind. The inter play between the two guitars is incredible.

PA

sfox7076

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:35 pm »
Like Damien Rice - have not heard the live album yet.  Listened last night to a bunch of things.  Roy Orbison's 'Black and White Night' on DVD-A is pretty good as is Patricia Barber's 'Companion' sounded really nice too.

PA

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:25 pm »
Hope, Hugh Makasela
Very good indeed. I believe I read somewhere that it was recorded in 16/44.1, yet the sound quality is up there with my favorite ECM and Sound Liaison live recordings.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:51 pm »
K.F. and PA, welcome to AC.  I have that Carmen McRae album.

Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers' "Live at Keystone 3" (Concord Jazz) and Kenny Barron with a quintet "Live at Fat Tuesday's" (Enja).  Burners the both!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:03 pm »
Best Keiko album, great band, great voice, great SQ :thumb:
Keiko Lee: Live 1999
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/959
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6foNHy-ic

PA

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2015, 08:30 pm »
Good singer!
Never heard of her, something new to check out, thanks.

MichiganMike

« Reply #33 on: 2 May 2015, 09:32 pm »
Holly Cole - "It Happened One Night"

Live recording from June 28, 1995 at the St. Denis Theatre in Montreal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 3 May 2015, 02:18 pm »

Always at their best live, this one smokes.......

sunnydaze

« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2015, 01:41 am »
Great indie / dream pop:

Can't vouch for the digital version, but my vinyl is fantastic.  Ballsy and torquey sound w/ great slammin bass, big immersive stage and warm tone.  Quite detailed and dynamic, yet remains smooth and sweet w/ lovely mids.  Muscular and weighty...nothing puny about this album.  Puts you right in the small club where it was recorded. 

This is the way live albums should sound!      :thumb:

MttBsh

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2015, 03:20 am »
The brand new (released this week) Jethro Tull 40th Anniversary; la Grande Edition of Minstrel in the Gallery includes a concert from Paris, July 5, 1975, the only professionally recorded live material from what I believe was Tull’s most powerful lineup.

The concert was filmed but sadly, according to the liner notes, the reels have been either lost or destroyed. Thankfully the audio tracks survived and about two thirds of the concert is presented her.e I feel what we have here the best 77 minutes of live Tull ever released. In fact, it may be the best live rock recording I’ve ever heard.

IJakko Jakszyk has done a beautiful job of capturing the intensity and excitement of the stage performance in 5.1 surround and stereo mix. The sound is spectacular for a 1975 recording; for the first time we have a live document of how tight this band was on stage in the mid-70s, playing in perfect lock-step, hard rock with a jazz twist, some blues and a classical string quartet. Barriemore Barlow’s drums come through loud and clear in the mix and prove that, with the possible exception of Keith Moon, he was the finest drummer in rock. The last half-hour of the show belongs to Mr Barre on the electric guitar whose playing on Backdoor Angels, Locomotive Breath and Hard Headed English General has to be heard to be believed. But of course the star of the show is Ian Anderson whose flute dazzles, especially during My God, Bouree and Cross-eyed Mary.

Jethro Tull’s concerts in the 70s were legendary, a band without peer. If you’ve ever wondered what all the hoopla was about, you must listen to this show. For the hundreds of thousands who attended those concerts all of those decades ago, this is the recording that will put you right back into the audience, it’s that good.

PA

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jun 2015, 11:44 pm »
K.F. and PA, welcome to AC.  I have that Carmen McRae album.

Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers' "Live at Keystone 3" (Concord Jazz) and Kenny Barron with a quintet "Live at Fat Tuesday's" (Enja).  Burners the both!
Thanks!

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:47 am »
Sone great live blues: