LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"

dolstein

Re: LIO Module "Ideas and Suggestions Thread"
« Reply #300 on: 7 Mar 2017, 07:09 am »
I realize this is a bit of a longshot, but how about a headphone amp module for Stax electrostatic headphones?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #301 on: 7 Mar 2017, 09:52 pm »
I realize this is a bit of a longshot, but how about a headphone amp module for Stax electrostatic headphones?

Hi dolstein,

Thanks for your post, but I don't have plans for an electrostatic headphone amp module.

Vinnie

emk69

« Reply #302 on: 30 Aug 2017, 04:17 am »
Hi Vinnie,
Considered a power trigger output to control power to an outboard power amp?  I think 12V triggers are used by most amps.

All your customers that need more power than an LIO can provide would benefit.

Thanks,
Eric

yardbird4

« Reply #303 on: 23 Sep 2017, 03:30 pm »
And Now for ........ Phono Stage 2.0?  Ultra-capacitor Power Regenerator 1.0? (On my wish list) :D :P :P  What's next Vinnie?
Modify message

Vinnie R.

« Reply #304 on: 23 Sep 2017, 05:52 pm »
And Now for ........ Phono Stage 2.0?  Ultra-capacitor Power Regenerator 1.0? (On my wish list) :D :P :P  What's next Vinnie?

Hi yardbird4,

1) The LIO Phonostage going forward is going to be built with Cinemag step-up transformers.  I'll post more about this soon.

2) No ultracapacitor power regenerator in the works now...

3) I've been busy with LIO AMP 2.0.  It looks like my new design will be calling for quite a few changes to LIO itself, as well as a different external power supply (which of course would also be compatible with DHT PRE).  I'll be sure to start a thread about it this Fall.  I have been doing lots of experimenting, listening, tweaking, etc... this will be a truly superb sounding dual-mono amplifier design built into LIO! 

So... more exciting things are definitely coming to LIO owners!  :idea: Wink2

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #305 on: 24 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm »
Will there be an option to have a HPF on new AMP 2.0?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #306 on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:51 pm »
Will there be an option to have a HPF on new AMP 2.0?

Not sure at this time...

mirekti

« Reply #307 on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:59 pm »
Not sure at this time...

I understand this might be a long shot, but if you consider it, and if possible, I would suggest something like on board jumpers for FR (no HPF), and either a variable one (not so sure this is good way to do it) or few (2,3) predefined FQs like 60, 80, 100Hz. I am assuming there is enough place for the HPF on the dual mono boards.
Keep us posted!!!

Thanks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #308 on: 25 Sep 2017, 08:07 pm »
  Vinnnie how is it going. Great move to dual mono. That is the way I fly. Dual mono from dedicated transport to monoblocks. See you at CAF ??Dual mono DAC ???

charles.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #309 on: 25 Sep 2017, 08:10 pm »
I understand this might be a long shot, but if you consider it, and if possible, I would suggest something like on board jumpers for FR (no HPF), and either a variable one (not so sure this is good way to do it) or few (2,3) predefined FQs like 60, 80, 100Hz. I am assuming there is enough place for the HPF on the dual mono boards.
Keep us posted!!!

Thanks

hi mirekti,

I have to be straight up with you... something specialized like that is indeed a long shot for production units.  But for a custom
modification, maybe.  :wink:

Vinnnie how is it going. Great move to dual mono. That is the way I fly. Dual mono from dedicated transport to monoblocks. See you at CAF ??Dual mono DAC ???

Hi rollo,

Sorry I won't be at CAF or NYAS.  Next show is RMAF next week, and then I have way too much to catch up on!  :duh: :thumb:

Hope you are doing well,

Vinnie

who?me?

« Reply #310 on: 25 Sep 2017, 08:12 pm »
VR-
I appreciated the LIO with M3 Triode Masters.
Sounded great, but would ask to consider adding a more robust tube front end.
I know space is limited inside the LIO, but that would "take me there".
in the meantime Im running a PrimaLuna HP Tube integrated
thx for listening!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #311 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:09 pm »
VR-
I appreciated the LIO with M3 Triode Masters.
Sounded great, but would ask to consider adding a more robust tube front end.
I know space is limited inside the LIO, but that would "take me there".
in the meantime Im running a PrimaLuna HP Tube integrated
thx for listening!

Hi who?me?,

Thanks!

"Take me there" = LIO with DHT PRE running KR PX-4's.  8)

Cheers,

Vinnie

brj

« Reply #312 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:32 am »
I understand this might be a long shot, but if you consider it, and if possible, I would suggest something like on board jumpers for FR (no HPF), and either a variable one (not so sure this is good way to do it) or few (2,3) predefined FQs like 60, 80, 100Hz.

For what it's worth, this is roughly how the Pass Labs XVR-1 fully differential active line-level crossover does it.  x1, x10, and x100 multipliers applied to base frequency selections of 22, 25, 29, 36, 48, 53, 59, 66, 75, 88, 106, 133, and 180, all set via jumpers.  This lets you have HP or LP filters with corner frequencies ranging from 22 Hz to 18,000 Hz.  It's a Sallen-Key implementation that allows up to four poles, each of which can be set to one of 3 different Q settings, to be implemented for the respective HP or LP filter.  It's almost painful in it's flexibility.  It would certainly be a tight fit if Vinnie wanted to implement something like that, even if he kept it single-ended and removed some of the flexibility to reduce the board real-estate.

Random Internet searched internal XVR-1 crossover board image here, and manual here, for those that are interested.

It is a truly fantastic device, though I'll admit that it's is also the most significant source of self-noise in my entire system by a significant margin.  (Take that with a grain of salt, however, as the active configuration of my speakers means that the 108.5 dB/2.83V/m sensitive tweeters run with no resistor pad-down, so you'll hear all component self noise on my system.  I doubt you'd hear the XVR-1 on even 95 dB sensitive systems.)  The idea of an active crossover powered by an ultra-cap powered power supply, however... I'd get in line! :)

(With only 15W of power required, I'd be tempted to try a PURE-DC-4-EVR power supply on the XVR-1 to improve the self-noise, but aside from the fact that it runs at 44V rather than something more standard and requires an uncommon DB25 power umbilical on top of that, I suspect that the self-noise derives not the power supply as much as the array of components on the crossover board itself.)

Of course, the other option that Vinnie's magic army of clones could consider if they wanted to implement a crossover module would be plug-in boards, ala the Marchard active crossovers.  It would provide significantly less flexibility while experimenting, but it'd take dramatically less circuit board real-estate once you've finalized your crossover points.

Why no, I haven't talked to Vinnie about active crossover modules for the LIO... not at all!   :wink:

yardbird4

« Reply #313 on: 22 Oct 2017, 07:08 pm »
You know as I get more into the LIO DHT I find on my wish list a ultra-capacitor powered Tube Amplifier to match with the DHT in pre-amplifier configuration!  The LIO is my first experience with tubes and I find I am wanting more!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #314 on: 24 Oct 2017, 08:37 pm »
Hi brj,

Of course, the other option that Vinnie's magic army of clones could consider if they wanted to implement a crossover module would be plug-in boards, ala the Marchard active crossovers.  It would provide significantly less flexibility while experimenting, but it'd take dramatically less circuit board real-estate once you've finalized your crossover points.

No magic army of clones yet, unfortunately.  And no time yet for an active crossover module design... sorry.

Hi yardbird4,

You know as I get more into the LIO DHT I find on my wish list a ultra-capacitor powered Tube Amplifier to match with the DHT in pre-amplifier configuration!  The LIO is my first experience with tubes and I find I am wanting more!

I like that idea, a lot!  :wink:   We'll see what 2018 brings...

Vinnie