Poll

At what point do you consider a piece of audio equipment to be vintage?

1950s and earlier
1 (1.1%)
1960s and earlier
9 (9.6%)
1970s and earlier
41 (43.6%)
1980s and earlier
34 (36.2%)
thick layer of dust is good enough for me
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

What Constitutes Vintage?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: What Constitutes Vintage?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm »
Do those ads ever bring back memories.
I still have all of those old National Lampoons that so many of those ads ran it - thanks for the link!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:46 pm »
Here is an example of why I consider 60s gear Vintage.

ROM Core Rope Memory used by NASA.
Software written by MIT programmers was woven into core rope memory by female workers in factories.
Some programmers nickname for the finished product was LOL memory for Little Old Lady memory. 
This was the memory used in the Apollo program and was part of the guidance computer in the LEM.
Scotty
Wiki link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_memory
This is a ''modern'' Vintage IBM 370/138 DOS-Power/VSE, full 512K ROM, and more virtual storage in VSAM 3320 HDs. Good Times...I even had no belly...rs rs rs

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2012, 10:59 pm »
If you really want vintage, here's a rare shot of the Founding Ladies of AudioCircle, proudly displaying their new laptop.

mboxler

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm »
This is a ''modern'' Vintage IBM 370/138 DOS-Power/VSE, full 512K ROM, and more virtual storage in VSAM 3320 HDs. Good Times...I even had no belly...rs rs rs

Programmed it's predecessor, the 135 with 144K.  VSAM and 144K was a match made in hell!  The 138/512K was a godsend!  Thanks for the "memories".

Mike

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm »
Just a thought: "vintage" = a used component whose current street value is at least equal to its original MSRP. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2012, 02:28 am »
for most hobbies, 25 years old is the standard cut-off for what constitutes "vintage".  of course, vintage usually also connotes something old "and" desirable.  while technically, a ford pinto is "vintage", i don't think it has a lot of appeal to most folks.

ymmv,

doug s.

medium jim

« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2012, 02:52 am »
Just a thought: "vintage" = a used component whose current street value is at least equal to its original MSRP.

I like that way of looking at it!

Jim

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:00 am »
1970's was my choice.
The 1980's is just too recent to be called 'vintage'
The oldest 1980's could possibly be is 32 years old..
Probably approaching vintage, but not yet there.
So for my take on it, 35 years is minimum for an electronics item to be called vintage.
Plenty of stuff made in the 80's is still in 'common' use. Nothing vintage about that.
My ARC SP-15 was made in 1988 and no way is that item Vintage..

TheChairGuy

« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:04 am »
Anything made before my birth is vintage  - so I'm not.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:20 am »
Re: What Constitutes Vintage or classic?
20 to 40 years old,also depends on how fast technology/idea changes,that's what I think,Ihaven't really thought about it until now.

cheers

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:14 am »
Here is some memory refreshment for you folks. :thumb:
http://www.classicaudio.com/ads/index.html

Well....look at that....I still have...."The Finest Stereo Receiver The World Has Ever Known".... :lol:

The Pioneer SX-1010....in my basement somewhere.... :?

Along with the Wollensak 8060 8 track recorder....anyone have any blank's.... :lol:

WireNut

« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2012, 04:36 am »

Threshold,

Would love to own one now or 20-30 years ago.

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:16 am »
There is something to be said about simplicity, many times, less is more!   The Western Electric circuit for amplification is simple. effective and really hasn't been improved upon IMHO.  This is not to say that the modern type of guy would like the Lush, Bigger than Life soundstage that old tube amps brought to the table....many won't.  But for those in love with it, there will be nothing else for them.

That's definitely vintage... but V1 and V2 are pentodes (are they not?), which is interesting.

bside123

« Reply #33 on: 25 Sep 2012, 01:48 pm »
Perhaps it would be good to distinguish between "vintage" and "classic." To me, "vintage" refers to age and era, but may not necessarily be classic. "Classic" means iconic, a prime example, holds up over time, indicative, etc., and generally includes age and era, but not necessarily. For instance, there are classic designs used in modern and current gear. My 2 cents!

I'm sure that everyone could provide examples of both, as well as current gear that is modeled after vintage and classic designs. The same can be said for music.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:04 am »
for most hobbies, 25 years old is the standard cut-off for what constitutes "vintage".  of course, vintage usually also connotes something old "and" desirable.  while technically, a ford pinto is "vintage", i don't think it has a lot of appeal to most folks.

ymmv,

doug s.

I think this is a pretty good rule of thumb.  It means as of today anything pre-1987. Not that there wasn't stuff produced beyond those years that we would want to own or collect, but probably hard to consider it "vintage". 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:47 am »
1987 was how long ago?
Time is really speeding up as that seems like not very long ago at all.
Am I the only one who feels that way?
Anybody see where I put my teeth?

WC

« Reply #36 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:10 am »
I have Boston Acoustics HD-9 speakers that are 22 years old, Baby Advent II speakers that are 23 years old, and a Yamaha integrated amp that is 23 years old. Not real sure if I would classify them as vintage. They were made after the audio companies started cheapening the components, but they are still working fine today. Replacements of the amp and speakers can be had for less than $100/item.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:04 pm »
Interesting topic and one that will probably always be debated. I bought my Michelle GyroDec 30 years ago but even in another 10 years it won't look like a vintage or classic turntable. On the other hand my McIntosh MA6100 fits nicely into the vintage category by it age and looks.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm »
Good looks never go out of style, do they?

geowak

« Reply #39 on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:58 am »
I think some kind of higher quality has to be present. Otherwise it's just an artifact, not too worthy. The time frame...dunno.