Any HT3 owner in Houston, TX?

95bcwh

« on: 15 Jan 2006, 06:57 am »
Hello All!
   I was wondering if there's any HT3 owner in Houston, TX? I am looking for a pair of speaker that produce the best sound under $6000. I value transparent, neutral, detail sounds with uncompromising low. After 3 months of auditioning different speakers, I have "nearly" splashed my cash for Paradigm Signature S8, until a few folks from another forum told me that I MUST listen to Veracity speakers because they will blow many speakers under $10,000 away!

But I live too far from Oakland, the only thing I can hope for is to find an owner not too far from Houston and hopefully he will let me listen to his system.

Thanks and best regards
 RV

jsalk

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2006, 01:58 pm »
RV -

There are no HT3's in Houston at this point in time.  

There will be a pair going to Fort Worth by the end of the month.  I am also just starting a pair that will be going to Houston, but they will take another 60 days to complete.

If you would be interested in hearing either of these, I can certainly ask the owners if they would offer an audition.

As for your choice of speakers, the HT3's and the model you were looking at are not at all in the same league.  This is not to say the speakers you were looking at are not good, but rather that the HT3's have drivers that are simply in a different class.

Even at $10,000 per pair retail, I am not aware of any speaker that would be comparable to the HT3's.

- Jim

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:33 am »
Jim,
  Your confidence has excited me more than ever. After reading your post, there's no way I can splash my cash for Paradigm S8 until I have heard your HT3.

Ok, I'm dying to hear a HT3, and I will very much appreciate it if the owner in or Fort Worth and Houston will let me audition it. From now onwards, I don't think I will sleep well until I hear it.

Last question, are you also confident that HT3 will blow away Legacy Focus 20/20 ?? :)

Best regards
  RV

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:43 am »
Quote from: 95bcwh
Last question, are you also confident that HT3 will blow away Legacy Focus 20/20 ??

"Blow away" is a loaded term, but if both were on my room, the Legacy's would be waving goodbye.  :wave:

George

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2006, 04:48 am »
Jim and Zybar:

One question: May I know what components will bring out the best sound of HT3?

I am not a fan of paying premium for brand name. Just to share with you the journey I've been through. The paradigm dealer initially recommended this setup:
Cary Audio 303/300 ($3000)
Bryston BP26 ($3200)
Bryston 4B-SST ($3100)
Paradigm Signature S8 ($5400)

I was very impressed with the sound, since then this setup become my benchmark for comparison with other system. However, somewhere in me was telling me that the components cost too much. Hence after doing more research, I came up with an alternative which I think may even sound better than the above and cost less:
Setup B:
Benchmark DAC1 ($1000)
Placette Passive RVC ($1000)
Bryston 4B-SST ($3100)
Paradigm Signature S8 ($5400)

I note that the sensitivity of HT3 is about 85dB, which is lower than the Signature S8, hence I'm no longer sure if the Bryston is sufficient to drive the HT3.

Hence I would be greatful if you guys could give me an early indication of what components I should be looking at.

Thanks and best regards
  RV

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2006, 05:35 am »
RV -

If your question is whether or not a Bryston 4B-ST is powerful enough to drive a pair of HT3's, I can only say that I normally use a 4B with mine when listening to the passive version of the HT3's (either that or my 40-watt Jolida tube amp).  No problem.

In fact, although the HT3's could certainly handle it, if you listen to them loud enough to drive a 4B into clipping, you won't be listening for very long - your hearing will be destroyed in rather short order.

While there is certainly no limit to what you can spend on source equipment, the gear you have outlined seems more than sufficient to me. Others are welcome to comment.

- Jim

95bcwh

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2006, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Jim, I don't play too loud, I don't think I have ever gone beyond 90 dB.

It's good to know that you use Bryston too. I like to hear all the sounds as recorded without any colorization. I thought Bryston is pretty good in it. I was told that most tube amps add something to the sound hence make it more musical than solid state amps but for the time being I will start with SS.

texas steve

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2006, 06:08 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
Thanks Jim, I don't play too loud, I don't think I have ever gone beyond 90 dB.

As Jim mentioned am the one in Houston(Tomball) that he is building speakers for.  And I was looking at exactly the same S8 speakers as well.  Even listened to them here at the dealer in Houston.  The S8s sounded very good.

I too, however after reviewing these pages and other sites, settled on the HT3s.  I too realize its difficult to buy something of this $$$ having not heard them, but as Jim will tell you, he has a money back policy - and so far NONE have come back!

As Jim said, mine wont be ready for 60 days JIM - SOONER IS OK!!  But when they arrive you are certainly welcome to come listen.