HiRez News

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: HiRez News
« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:42 pm »
This could be fun.  Rush - Moving Pictures in 5.1.  Amazon has both CD/DVD and CD/BR listed for pre-release.  I'm hoping at least one of these sets will have 24bit hi-rez files.

http://ww2.richardchycki.com/archives/167

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #41 on: 23 Feb 2011, 08:23 pm »
I would hope!  been reading about this on my surround forums for a bit.  They released Snakes and Arrows on DVD in a good 24/96 PCM stereo mix but the 5.1 mix was classic lossy Dolby.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
HDTRACKS MAKES HISTORY?

That was there email they sent out last week.  I joked on Computer Audiophile that I hoped it wasn't going to be Michael Jackson's History in 24/192.  :)

Well...it isn't.  It's instead a Bob Ludwig converted set of DSD files from the vault of......THE ROLLING STONES

Looks like tomorrow, March 2nd, HDTracks will have 24/88.2 ($19.98) and 24/176.4 ($29.98) versions of the first several Rolling Stones Albums, both UK and US versions...up to and including High Tide And Green Grass (Big Hits) and Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2).  The later albums will be available in the summertime.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=stones

If you use the discount code Stones10 you get 10% off the above prices.

As owner of many of these ABKO releases on SACD (original DSD) they are great!!...but my faves (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed) don;t show up until later.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2011, 03:28 am by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
HDTracks Stones stuff is back up and ready for purchase.  These, of course, are not new masters or anything...they are the 2005 SACD's taken and ripped/converted DSD-to-PCM via Weiss Saracon software.  Nice, but not exactly a huge commitment to more hirez by the industry.  Those of you who don;t own these SACD's, go for it.  Those of us who do, we may buy a few so as to get them at 24/176 instead of the current HDMI de-embedder solution of 24/88 spinning disc.

ted_b

• Facilitator
Re: HiRez News (update: HDTRACKS has The Who's Tommy in 24/96)
« Reply #44 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:00 am »
Fresh off the Rolling Stones first batch, HDtracks has today announced the availability of another mega-group, The Who!

Tommy is now available in 24/96, and HDTracks is selling certain cuts for $2.99 (unlike the Stones catalog), so you can get taste of whether the new version is worth it for you. 

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00008811141721

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:08 am »
I look forward to feedback on this as I"m really interested in that and this https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00028944740028

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #46 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:12 am »
I got the email from HD tracks also and saw underneath a Jan Garbarek concert-Dresden with some awesome musicians--downloading it now, I think Tommy may be next....

cryoparts

« Reply #47 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:09 am »
Downloading Tommy now!  Yes!  I am crossing my fingers for some Floyd in days to come. 

Peace,

Lee

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #48 on: 11 Mar 2011, 07:54 pm »
Can we anticipate more HDTRACKS PCM files sourced from past and present SACDs?  Could Aja, Who's Next, Dire Straits, the DCD catalog and other titles from recent Japanese SACDs be on the horizon?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:07 pm »
I little birdy told me to keep on the lookout for more classic rock, yes..like the Doors, Neil Young, etc (of course those examples are mostly available via DVD-Audio so rippable already, frankly)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
any feedback on the who yet?

cryoparts

« Reply #51 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:11 pm »
Can we anticipate more HDTRACKS PCM files sourced from past and present SACDs?  Could Aja, Who's Next, Dire Straits, the DCD catalog and other titles from recent Japanese SACDs be on the horizon?

Oh man, I hope so!

cryoparts

« Reply #52 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:11 pm »
any feedback on the who yet?

Very good, indeed.  A win.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:14 pm »
Very good, indeed.  A win.

Sweet!  I guess I'll buy it this weekend and convert to AIFF using MAX.   :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:24 pm »
Another update.  New SHM-SACD's announced.

Hajime Sato, VP of Concert Fidelity, is also the head of the online Eastwind Import (US SHM-SACD distributor) will have The Who's Singles Collection, as well as Steely Dan's Royal Scam and the Stones Sticky Fingers in May!!   :thumb:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #55 on: 11 Mar 2011, 10:23 pm »

The mix on that Japanese SHM-SACD of Aja is horrible. I'd be interested to hear what HDtracks would do with it. The Tommy DVD-A is one of the few worth getting for the bonus material: The ~20 min. of video where Pete talks about the multitrack masters and what they had to do to them is great.

firedog

« Reply #56 on: 13 Mar 2011, 10:46 am »

The Tommy isn't sourced from SACD, but from a 2 channel mix. HDTRACKS converts SACD to 88.2, not 96.

BTW, I emailed Michael Fremer,who's quoted as endorsing the files on the HDTracks website, and he confirmed that he very much likes the tracks. Says they are the best version he's heard other than his original Track Records LP. If you're in the US you probably don't have that version but a crummy sounding Decca America or MCA version
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2011, 03:00 pm by firedog »

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 13 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm »
Note:  Tommy 24/96 has had an issue.  As of a few days ago the HDTracks download cuts off the last song by more than 3 minutes (We're Not Gonna Take It 3:28 vs 6:45).  HDTracks has been made aware, and maybe it is fixed by now, but the website track list still shows the cut off.

dminches

« Reply #58 on: 13 Mar 2011, 02:05 pm »
Looks like someone's QC process needs a revision.

dminches

« Reply #59 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:34 pm »

If you use the discount code Stones10 you get 10% off the above prices.

As owner of many of these ABKO releases on SACD (original DSD) they are great!!...but my faves (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed) don;t show up until later.

I think stonesheadfi2011 gets you 15% off!