AURALiC ARIES

robcentola

Re: AURALiC ARIES
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2015, 08:43 am »
Great product and lives up to what it's supposed to do and more. So simple to use. Tidal within the app is flawless (in my experience) and SQ is pristine. Second best audio purchase I made next to my Salks.

After my experience with Auralic, my eyes are seriously on the Vega.

......now back to early morning music......

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:27 pm »
Vega is so awesome. As is the headphone amp.

santacore

« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2015, 04:12 pm »

Totally agree. Own both and have zero regret. I've been debating dumping my mini/amarra for an Aries since it came out. You guys are making me re-think this decision......

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:13 pm »
Totally agree. Own both and have zero regret. I've been debating dumping my mini/amarra for an Aries since it came out. You guys are making me re-think this decision......
You will love it. The ARIES replaced my mini which I sold.

santacore

« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:24 pm »
I don't doubt it. I'm very pleased with the sound I'm getting now, but the computer is not without problems, especially since I'm running it head-less. What else would I need to buy to get a Aries system running? Right now all my tunes are on an external firewire 800 drive, running through iTunes/Amarra.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:45 pm »
I recommend using it in it's own music network. Just simply a WiFi router and NAS, and stream wirelessly to the Aries. No internet required.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #66 on: 28 Mar 2015, 07:35 pm »
I recommend using it in it's own music network. Just simply a WiFi router and NAS, and stream wirelessly to the Aries. No internet required.

+1. I tried it with an HD direct to the Aries and the sound quality suffered. More congested and forward sounding. Wireless with NAS has been the best so far.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #67 on: 28 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm »
+1. I tried it with an HD direct to the Aries and the sound quality suffered. More congested and forward sounding. Wireless with NAS has been the best so far.

Best,
Anand.
Interesting Anand.  Do you believe this is due to having two devices on the USB buss (DAC and HDD) or solely due to the lack of an electrical connection between the HDD and the Aries?

Thanks,
Ed

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #68 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:40 am »
Interesting Anand.  Do you believe this is due to having two devices on the USB buss (DAC and HDD) or solely due to the lack of an electrical connection between the HDD and the Aries?

Thanks,
Ed

I can only hazard a guess. And my guess is that the Aries is not immune to the power supply perturbations of the USB connected HD.  Paul79 advised me and so far he has been dead on with his recommendations on best optimizing the NAS, Aries, Vega combo. Oh, and my Aries is the upgraded one with Femto clocks and linear supply.

My system is finely detailed in my systems page if you're curious.

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:10 am »
I don't doubt it. I'm very pleased with the sound I'm getting now, but the computer is not without problems, especially since I'm running it head-less. What else would I need to buy to get a Aries system running? Right now all my tunes are on an external firewire 800 drive, running through iTunes/Amarra.

ebag4

« Reply #70 on: 1 Apr 2015, 04:35 am »
I should receive my Aries on Friday.  Looking for networking recommendations.  I currently have a Linksys 1550 wireless router.  I also have large external HDDs (USB/Firewire formatted MAC OS Extended and NTSF).  I thought I would start with my Mac drive plugged into the Aries for quick setup, then move to networked storage for better sound. 

Would a separate wireless router with a USB port to connect a USB HDD for the Aries be the best way to go for sound?  If so, how would the Aries connect to the internet? 

Would connecting the Aries router to the internet from the port of my current router work? 

If I want to stream via airplay do I have to set up the iphone/ipad on the Aries network? 

I apologize for what may be very basic networking questions.

If you have recommendations for equipment please let me know what models have worked for you. 

Thanks,
Ed

abernardi

« Reply #71 on: 1 Apr 2015, 05:26 am »
I've also been circling around the Aries to replace my Mac Mini/Audirvana solution.  I was at CanJam this weekend in Southern Cal, and got some listening time with the Aries/Taurus/Vega and it was like pure silk.  I plan to go the NAS route, any cost conscious suggestions?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #72 on: 1 Apr 2015, 09:50 am »
I've also been circling around the Aries to replace my Mac Mini/Audirvana solution.  I was at CanJam this weekend in Southern Cal, and got some listening time with the Aries/Taurus/Vega and it was like pure silk.  I plan to go the NAS route, any cost conscious suggestions?

What I use: http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-HS-210-Fanless-Storage-Supported/dp/B00H3VBKBM

I should receive my Aries on Friday.  Looking for networking recommendations.  I currently have a Linksys 1550 wireless router.  I also have large external HDDs (USB/Firewire formatted MAC OS Extended and NTSF).  I thought I would start with my Mac drive plugged into the Aries for quick setup, then move to networked storage for better sound. 

Would a separate wireless router with a USB port to connect a USB HDD for the Aries be the best way to go for sound?  If so, how would the Aries connect to the internet? 

Would connecting the Aries router to the internet from the port of my current router work? 

If I want to stream via airplay do I have to set up the iphone/ipad on the Aries network? 

I apologize for what may be very basic networking questions.

If you have recommendations for equipment please let me know what models have worked for you. 

Thanks,
Ed

Look at my systems page. I found that a direct USB connected HDD to the Aries was sonically worse than having the Aries wirelessly receive the audio data from your router. The router itself is directly connected via Ethernet to my QNAP NAS which holds 2 SSD's formatted in JBOS. I also installed Minimserver on the QNAP, so the Aries can "see" the audio data. The SSD's aren't necessary since costs can be prohibitive with larger SSD's. I have found that the Aries can receive firmware updates wirelessly but it is slower. If too slow then I just connect an Ethernet cable when needed directly to my router/LAN.

Best,
Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #73 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:34 am »
Guys,

Couple of questions...

If you don't need to run the Aries wirelessly, is it still worth moving from a purpose built PC?

How would you compare the UI with Jriver on an iPad?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #74 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:34 am »

It is indeed!   :thumb:

George

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #75 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:56 am »
Guys,

Couple of questions...

If you don't need to run the Aries wirelessly, is it still worth moving from a purpose built PC?

How would you compare the UI with Jriver on an iPad?

George

I use my IPad Air, and find the UI to be great. It keeps improving as well. Very easy to use for my simple mind :-)

Best,
Anand.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:39 pm »
Guys,

Couple of questions...

If you don't need to run the Aries wirelessly, is it still worth moving from a purpose built PC?  Yes. The Aries also sounds best streaming WiFi vs wired. The more you can isolate and dedicate your music network, the better it will be IME.

How would you compare the UI with Jriver on an iPad? Very simple to use the Lightning UI. I can't imagine anybody having trouble with it.

George

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:44 pm »
Hey Anand,
Very glad to hear you are having good results with your new music network! How is the Totaldac USB Cable doing for you?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #78 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:15 am »
Hey Anand,
Very glad to hear you are having good results with your new music network! How is the Totaldac USB Cable doing for you?

Great. I actually have loaned it out for a few of my colleagues to listen to.

Best,
Anand.

abernardi

« Reply #79 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:02 am »
Thanks for the tip Anand.  Well, I went ahead and ordered an Aries today  :D :duh: :green: - gulp.  Are you also saying, Anand, that it sounds better wirelessly compared to wired ethernet?