Excelarray review revised

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: comparisons
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
...Of course, there's always the Neo 8....

(one of my favorites...remember I didn't say this and I sure as heck didn't do it...)

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:24 pm »
Quote from: Brad V
I'm not saying which one I prefer. That's not what I took offense to. It was your statement of saying which one was better. You can't make that statement, unless you played them side by side, in the same room, with the same equipment...   Even though you designed them...

...Also, I wish I had a dollar for everyone who pushing the benefits of how high a frequency a driver will go. Of all the times I've put in the Rives CD with frequencies above 16kHz, only 2 people I know of have heard the 20kHz test tone and the others had blank stares. Besides, when I had the Tact RCS 2.2X, it measured like 2 to 3 db down at 20kHZ. Not only that, but every Tact stock correction, which comes with the unit, rolls off the high at 20kHz at about 5db or more. If you go on the Tact forum and ask anyone if they run the curve flat at 20kHz, I doubt you'd get any who do this....

it matters not a whit which one you *prefer*.  if the designer sez one is better, then it is *better*.  even if you prefer the lesser model.  this isn't as unusual as it may first appear.  in many cases, some folk prefer lower models of warious gear.

re: folk not being able to hear stuff above 16khz, this also doesn't mean it's always ok to then assume a speaker flat to 18khz is all you need - it has been shown that even frequencies above 30khz  can physically effect frequencies in the audible range.  so while you may not be able to hear ultrasonic frequencies, they can & will affect the frequencies you *can* hear.  if they are present, that is...    :wink:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2004, 07:43 pm »
Quote from: EProvenzano
Quote from: Rick Craig
Quote from: EProvenzano
Rick,

How much for the kit with standard parts? and how much with upgraded parts?

Thanks
EP

I would be glad to quote prices but for $3,800 I can provide a kit with upgraded parts that will be better than the Excelarray. Six of the same woofers per side and six Fountek ribbon tweeters.  And that includes integral powered 12" subwoofers  :D

Rick

So, are you saying that the Excelarray kit is $3800, not including the ribbons?

Thanks for the clarification.
EP

rick is saying for $3800 you get a kit, w/integral powered 12" woofers, *and* ribbons.  yust that the ribbons are not the newforms, but the founteks...

doug s.

EProvenzano

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:26 pm »
That's what I thought he meant but I didn't ask for the price of that model...that's why I questioned it again.

Thanks

Enrico

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jul 2004, 02:25 am »
Rick, thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear that you have adjusted your testing procedures to check for this problem.

How would the on-site service work? You're far from New York City, so I assume you will not just fly up on the next flight.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #45 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:11 am »
Quote from: Enrico
Rick, thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear that you have adjusted your testing procedures to check for this problem.

How would the on-site service work? You're far from New York City, so I assume you will not just fly up on the next flight.

I would send a qualified technician to your home or fly there myself. I've had very few drivers fail in the field so it's not been a problem at all.

gme109

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:17 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Gosh folks, if the man says the new speaker is better, it's BETTER!

Haven't heard the Fountek but the Newform ribbon is very good up to 18kHz where it mass limits.  It's single-ended, which is not ideal if you plan to use it down to its 1100Hz cutoff.  It lacks a little sparkle. An array of Founteks should give you about 1/2 octave more treble extension and maybe 4 kHz of LF extension, which is very good for that type of planar driver.

Of course, there's always the Neo 8....

(one of my favorites...remember I didn't say this and I sure as heck didn't do it...)

Well Brian it would really surprise me if the Fountek was a better tweeter then the Newform ribbon. To date I haven't heard another tweeter that I like better. So if the Fountek is a better tweeter, well that would be saying a whole lot. What other speakers use the Fountek tweeter? I've never heard of it.

Gary

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:34 am »
Quote from: gme109
Well Brian it would really surprise me if the Fountek was a better tweeter then the Newform ribbon. To date I haven't heard another tweeter that I like better. So if the Fountek is a better tweeter, well that would be saying a whole lot. What other speakers use the Fountek tweeter? I've never heard of it.

Gary

Fountek is fairly new to the OEM market so that's why not many people have heard of them.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #48 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:45 am »
Quote from: gme109
Hi Rick,

Being the designer of both speakers, I'm sure you're aware of the overall performance differences between the two. Like frequency response and efficiency. However you've never lived for any extended length of time with either of these speakers, nor done a side by side comparison. I think what Brad was trying to say is, there may be subtle differences between the two that would lead someone to prefer the Excelarray's over the Incredarray.

Gary

There are some significant differences between them which I think would cause most people to favor the Incredarray. The voicing is different though and some listeners may prefer the slightly shelved down top octaves of the Excelarray. The highs can also be adjusted for a similar response with the Incredarray.

gme109

Carmian Burana @ 12 midnight with the lights out
« Reply #49 on: 30 Jul 2004, 07:55 am »
Quote from: Rick Craig
There are some significant differences between them which I think would cause most people to favor the Incredarray. The voicing is different though and some listeners may prefer the slightly shelved down top octaves of the Excelarray. The highs can also be adjusted for a similar response with the Incredarray.

I just finished listening to Carmian Burana in its entirety, absolutely incredible in every way. Nothing I would call "shelved down", just the closest reproduction to live music I've ever heard. If lighting has struck twice for you and you've created another masterpiece, then God bless you.:angel:

Gary