Selah Audio - Omegarray Review

jholtz

« on: 6 Jun 2004, 04:12 am »
I’ve been listening to my new line arrays for several days now and thought it was time to share some listening impressions. The Omegarray is Rick’s latest creation in his new “Next Level” series of speakers. It consists of (10) Aurium cantus AC-130 MKII 5” drivers and (8) Fountek JP-2 ribbons per cabinet. I also built in a Stryke AV-12 (TC Sounds) 12" sub powered by a PE 500 watt plate amp in each cabinet to fill in the bottom end.

I use these for both music and home theater so anything less than full range dynamic speakers just won’t do. My goal has been to have a pair of reference speakers that accurately reproduce a live performance as I perceive it. Here’s what I think of them…

Imaging: Any evaluation of a line array has to start with imaging. I expected a walk around image but I didn’t expect it to be so 3 dimensional. The Omegarrays create a “you are there, reach out and touch them” type image that is deep and layered. The separation of vocals and performers is amazing. The Omegarrays simply disappear and let the music come through as it was intended. Very realistic!

Detail & Dynamics: 10 low distortion drivers doing the work of one, creates spectacular dynamics and detail. The AC130’s have a Kevlar/Carbon Fiber composite cone and are very detailed without being analytical while remaining extremely smooth and musical! The JP-2’s are airy, detailed and very extended. The sound of triangles float in front of you and cymbals shimmer just the right amount. Beautiful!

Vocals: The Omegarrays have the most realistic presentation of vocals that I’ve ever heard in a speaker. When you close your eyes while listening to a good recording, you’re transported to the original presentation. I’ve heard really, really good speakers in this regard but the Omegarrays are truly the next level.

Home Theater: I had concerns about integrating a line array with a point source center channel and surrounds. I had nothing to worry about. They integrate better than point source mains. The superb imaging of an array makes surround sound even better and the Omegarrays simply disappear. Very, very nice!

Miscellaneous thoughts: The Omegarrays have 97+ db sensitivity and will play at outrageous volumes effortlessly. A 10 watt amp could easily hit THX volume levels. There just isn’t any compression to the music when you crank the volume. Also, the clarity is superb at all volume levels. The sound is uncanny in it’s realism.

Summary: I have finally found reference speakers that take me to the performance from my listening room. I’ll have these for a very, very long time. Rick told me that omega meant the end in Latin. Now I see why he named these speakers the Omegarrays. They are the end of my search for audio nirvana. I highly recommend them. If anyone is near the Midwest and would like to hear the Omegarrays, send me an email and I’ll arrange a listening session.

Jim

geekinthehood

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2004, 12:07 am »
I'm curious if, given their imaging ability, you think the Omegarrays would be acceptable for home theater use without center and surround channels. The more speakers and amplifier channels I can get rid of, the more I can justify buying a pair. :-)

--darren

Jim Griffin

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2004, 12:56 am »
Jim,

Those new arrays look awesome!  I'm glad that you are pleased with them.  

I would encourage you to try your home theater set-up without the center channel speaker but rather your DSP processor (or DVD player if you do the digital sound processing within it) set for a phantom center channel.  Hence, the left and right main speakers (the arrays) would receive the content of the normal center channel.  You'll be surprised at the results and you may choose to ditch the center channel.  

The theory behind my thinking is that your line arrays have a wide image because they are operating in the near acoustic field.  Hence, the sound fall off is 3 dB per doubling of distance as you move away from the speakers.  (Normal point source type speakers have a 6 dB per doubling of distance sound fall off.)  What most people don't know is that the sound fall off side-to-side in the line array's near field will also follow the 3 dB rule.   Thus, you have the wider image spot (I call it an image area) with the line arrays.

What would be truly outstanding is your thinking on using line arrays for both the fronts and rears in a home theather system (again with a phantom center) .  The majority of the room would be in the near fields of the arrays so that the imaging within the room would cover almost any  listening position in the room.

Jim

jholtz

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2004, 02:12 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I’m really enjoying the Omegarrays.

I tried using a phantom center but I do prefer it with the center on. You are correct that the image is wide enough with line arrays to eliminate using a center speaker but I hear bit of improvement when setting on the fringes with the center on. I do have a really good center than Rick designed for me sometime ago so that may be the difference too. I admit to being just as picky about home theater sound as I am with music. I just apply a bit different criteria.

Some day, I might build a pair of Linus II’s for surrounds. I would build a sub in the base of each one though. I think that would be about the ultimate in home theater. I’ve got to sell some of my older projects before I do that. My store room is filling up with really nice speakers and no one to listen to them. :-)

Too bad you’re so far away from Iowa. I think you’d really enjoy hearing the Omegarrys.

Jim

Quote from: Jim Griffin
Jim,

Those new arrays look awesome!  I'm glad that you are pleased with them.  

I would encourage you to try your home theater set-up without the center channel speaker but rather your DSP processor (or DVD player if you do the digital sound processing within it) set for a phantom center channel.  Hence, the left and right main speakers (the arrays) would receive the content of the normal center channel.  You'll be surprised at the results and you may choose to ditch the center channel.  

The theor ...