Re: Grado Green
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jan 2007, 09:12 pm »
Thanks Chairguy. Much appreciated.

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages
« Reply #41 on: 7 Jan 2007, 10:21 pm »
Hi,

I just thought that I'd mention that I'd seen various web pages selling the Grado Green, Black, Red, etc. and other Grado's, where they listed a warning not to use them in the Rega and Technics TT's due to excessive hum.  I like the sound of Grado carts, but then again, I have an AR XA, and also a modified XA ( I installed a carbon fiber Japanese arm ) and I can't use the Grado's in either set, due to massive hum.  So I'd nix buyin' the Green to put in the AR.

-Steven

I just finished rehabbing my 2nd AR-XA turntable this morning, and I may say it has turned out looking almost brand new, with brand new performance. I have followed the wisdom of Frank Van Alstine, of course, but I use the Chair Guys Slick 50 in the platter well. I have learned a lesson; to toss the Haydon motor from the AR as most that I have bought have lost their power or have one form of aliment or another. So, I have sourced the motor that is used in the VPI Scout. It's a big honker, fairly quite, well made and should last along time.

Now the big dilemma is what cartridge? I was actually thinking of the Grado Green, but with what I'm reading here, I don't know. I suppose I could put another AT440MLa in this one, but I have been accused of being an AT440 pimp by someone at AC already, ha, ha :rotflmao:

I put a Shure m97xe in it for now, but what an unamusing cartridge, especially compared to the AT440. Of course, I want the best bang for the buck as that was the goal by the people at AR back in the late 60's, so what is a mother to do?

I have noticed with all of the AR's that the tone arm is a slight bit sluggish in the vertical plane. I can tell when it's time to dial in VTF. Unlike my Empire arm which can zip all over everywhere (up and down, side to side), and maybe that's the problem with that tone arm...it's too loose!

Maybe a Grado Green with a 2" Longhorn? :scratch:

slbender

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jan 2007, 10:56 pm »

Gee ChairGuy

If you're got that much inner groove distortion maybe the cartridge isn't properly aligned for your arm ( or some other problem ) ???

Now to be honest, I haven't tried this but I bet if you bought five identical carts and mounted them five different ways in the headshells, - one 2mm too forward, one 2mm to far back, one 2mm too high, and one 2mm too far down, and one mounted exactly as it should be, for a given tone arm, all aligned with proper azmuth, and playing at the optimum tracking weight to give the proper tracking angle...

When you listen, one would likely have bad treble ( too much or too little ), one would be massively distorted in the inner grooves, one would be sterile sounding, one would sound sucked out, and one would be satisfying.  :duh:

As for noise, well, I think if a record has been played with one type of conical or elliptical cartridge, it may have shoved all the grit and grime into a particular area of the groove.  The play it with another type of stylus, which may read higher or lower in the groove, and it picks up all the noise making garbage...  So yeah, that's easy... to see why.  I have one old cart I love which is soooo... quiet in the groove, just happens to be right I guess.

That said, I just got a new ( 33 y/o ) Thorens TD-145c TT earlier this week, I still haven't hooked it up at this point, but it came with a google of cartridges.  :thumb:

Six of the twelve cartridges appear to be in good physical condition, and hopefully proper working order.  The bunch includes several carts ( low hours use I was told ) that I always, always wanted. :drool:

So over the next few months, if I have the time, I'll be comparing various vintage cartridges and such.  In only two instances where I already had two identical carts could I compare equally between my Modified AR ( and the original AR... but uh why ? ) and now the Thorens 145c. So next I get one of those little digital pocket scales to use as a Stylus Pressure gauge.

-Steven

Well, it's playing better each day now...about 25 hours in on it.

I don't at least notice inside groove distortion now....a combination of break-in and dialing in the anti-skate seemed to do the trick.  This is really a fussy cartridge - waaaaaay fussier than it should be for $60.00.  I mean, most folks spending $60.00 for a cartridge won't futz with it to get it right and will assume it's not that capable.  Turns out it's very capable (at least, with the Longhorn attached and coils damped and all geometries right).

Not that it's unusual for this cartridge to have a different setting than the tracking force (which is about 1.47 near as I can tell).  I've never had  cartridge that needed anywhere near 100% of tracking force, usually it's in the 60-70% area. The Green is about at 66.67% now and is spot-on.

What a fussy beetch it is, tho, for $60.00...but worthwhile if you do  :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jan 2007, 11:23 pm »
Steven,

It's a long topic....but, on page 2 or 3, at about 25 hours on it, I noted that the the inner groove distortion that plagued the Grado Green earlier seemed to dissipate with a bit more jiggling of the arm geometry. It's awfully tweeky cartridge for one that is intended for newbies and it's awfully tweeky for one with an elliptical tip.

Still, it doesn't quite measure up to the higher standards of resolution (it's a bit gritty), clarity and tracking performance of the AT440ML/OCC and ADC TRX-1 that I have.  If you look under magnification at the stylus one can see clearly it's cheaper than the AT and ADC's. A cheap cantilever/bonded diamond could make a meaningful differnce and the Grado doesn't measure up in these key areas of performance perhaps becasue of it.  The Red and the Gold, etc, have better stylus' and may in fact be larger step-ups in the line than I would have thought initially.

I'll try it again one day and see if my tastes change any  :) 

btw, I ran it in a JVC QL-A2 and JVC QL-F6 direct drive tables and there was no hum issue at all.

slbender

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan 2007, 01:09 am »
Well most people have a few of this and a few of that over the years, you've mentioned four sets and I'm just not familiar with those JVC TT's, nor have I ever heard of the ADC TRX-1 cart.  I've got an ADC XLM MKII - which ain't bad, but still not one of my fav's.

The google of carts I just got includes: a Micro-Acoustics 2002e, that I've always wanted :) also their later MA-3002 :D and the CD-4 version, the QDC-1e. Also present was an Empire 2000Z which might be interesting, and a Shure V15 type III.  Among the rest, just some middle of the road stuff: a Teledyne PC-550 (which to me resembles a middle of the line Ortofon MM). aa  Also an Acutex (ugly and massive looking), a Stanton (was their 880S a high-end one ? its cantilever looks way too short compared to the other Stantons I've seen); an AT-13Ea (which looks like the cantilever is a bit bent upward); an Ortofon VMS20E MKII (which looks to me like the diamond is pointing 10-20 degrees off perpendicular); an M95ED that looks a bit grungy, and a B&O MMC20en, whose diamond is missing and cantilever is curled like a pretzel (whoa!). :duh:  So I got like 5, or maybe 6 good vintage carts out of 12.

Prior to getting this Thorens TT and carts, my fav cartridge is the older "low mass" nude diamond B&O SP-12a - the one that looks like the nose of the the Concorde.  It has a really long and thin diameter cantilever (but not as long or thin as on the MA-2002e) and the B&O is a very heavy, massive cartridge!  I actually had to attach a ceramic magnet about an inch and a quarter in diameter and its metal keeper to the rear of the adjustment counterweight on that CF Arm, just to get the SP-12a to balance.  One would think that such an unusually massive cartridge in a really lightweight CF arm is a total no-no... But I guess it breaks the laws of physics, its as totally a perfect combination as I've ever encountered.  Who Knew ? :scratch:

-Steven

Steven,

It's a long topic....but, on page 2 or 3, at about 25 hours on it, I noted that the the inner groove distortion that plagued the Grado Green earlier seemed to dissipate with a bit more jiggling of the arm geometry. It's awfully tweeky cartridge for one that is intended for newbies and it's awfully tweeky for one with an elliptical tip.

Still, it doesn't quite measure up to the higher standards of resolution (it's a bit gritty), clarity and tracking performance of the AT440ML/OCC and ADC TRX-1 that I have.  If you look under magnification at the stylus one can see clearly it's cheaper than the AT and ADC's. A cheap cantilever/bonded diamond could make a meaningful differnce and the Grado doesn't measure up in these key areas of performance perhaps becasue of it.  The Red and the Gold, etc, have better stylus' and may in fact be larger step-ups in the line than I would have thought initially.

I'll try it again one day and see if my tastes change any  :) 

btw, I ran it in a JVC QL-A2 and JVC QL-F6 direct drive tables and there was no hum issue at all.

guest1632

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan 2007, 11:57 am »
Some early, perhaps premature observations about 18 hours run in on it....

1.  VTF - I've never had any cartridge so finicky as the Green is about VTF (Vertical Tracking Force).  1.6 grams is too much - it deadens to presentation (like overdamping, but a bit different).  1.4 grams is, literally, too light a presentation, overall; dynamics are too lightweight.  1.5 about right...but about 1.46 to 1.48 is perfect.

WTF - I've never had a cartridge so picky in any recent memory.

2. VTA - I've got it tail down a bit as I've read that's the best place for it.  Beats me - I haven't tried it any other angle (no adjustable VTA on the JVC - too bad)

3. Noise - It is a bit noisier in the grooves than other cartridges.  Do ellipticals 'plow thru' where line styli and vdH/Geiger shapes leave less a bit less friction on the sidewalls of vinyl?  Could be  :dunno:

4.  Inner Groove Distortion - Almost disqualifies this cartridge entirely.  The first 60% of each side sounds quite good - deteriorating slowly into something akin to hell the last tune or final 10-20%.  It's quite noticeable - I only hope that I can jiggle some arm geometry or maybe the suspension still needs a bit more breaking it to be fully effective. Hope so, at least.  Otherwise, it's a bit of hell as the side winds down each time. 

1.6 grams VTF wasn't the answer either - it didn't help the end-of-record distortion....it just overdamped everything.

Any of you Grado guys, or former ones, lend some guidance here on these matters - or others?

Henry/ohenry, you out there  :angel:

Don't know how far back you go in audio, but I have a MicroAccoustics cartridge if I can find it in storage. The cantalever seems to be in good shape. Extremely flat down to 20HZ a little noisy on the grooves. If I can find it, you're welcome to try it. Has very little time on it. Switched over to a Denon 10D MC cartridge.

Regards,
Ray

TheChairGuy

« Reply #46 on: 19 Feb 2007, 06:23 pm »
Ha - I just called over to Grado.

I didn't get John Grado, but I think I was talking to John Chiapas...the long time (70+ year old) engineer there.

He said that in almost every instance if your equipment is good, the 1.5mv version will work as well as (and sound a bit better as DC resistance is lower) than the 4.0 model.

It was the most refreshingly honest phone call I've had in a while. NY'ers tend to be that way. He further said (and I quote nearly verbatim):

* At age 43, my hearing is on the downhill slide anyhow. If you're rich and don't care, trade up in the line. Otherwise, enjoy what you have.

* The Grado Green is already offering up 90% of the vinyl experience. It's up to me to decide how much the other 10% is worth.

* If I'm happy with the Green, then stick with it until the stylus falls off. If not fully happy, decide to pay more.

When I told him that I have the Green, and gravitate towards it more than any other over time, but that I do hear higher levels of resolution (ie, greater clarity) in other cartridges...but not the same wholeness as I do with Grados, he said:

*Then buy the Silver/Gold. With my hearing on a downhill at age 43, it's not gonna' matter much soon.

Never once did he advocate moving up to the Woodie series directly...either 1.5 or 4.0 output versions. I know it is only his opinion, but interestingly, he's the guy that helped Joe and now John Grado design all of them. Remember, Joe Grado (and probably this guy, too) were responsible for many of the early patents on moving coils - the now preferred choice of most audiophiles.  So, it's a fairly STRONG and important opinion   :wink:

He told me he traveled the country with Joe Grado playing music - Joe was an Opera singer and all of their cartridges re-produce music.

As I said - a most refreshing and charming phone call it was  :lol:

ohenry

« Reply #47 on: 19 Feb 2007, 08:55 pm »
Wait a minute... this guy is telling you to be content with what you like and own? :scratch:  That's just perverse.  :lol:

I have the 1.5mv version of the Platinum and it does reveal a little more information and seems a little quieter that the trusty Green.  Is it worth four Greens?  Nope.  If I were doing it again, I'd probably look for a low output Gold and tweak it.  No big regrets on the Platinum, it was only $80 bucks more than the Gold (I got a really good deal).

These carts are a bit addictive after a while.  They do so many things right, and Frank's tweaks make them even better.  That's why I wonder if the tweaked Gold wouldn't outperform my low-end woodie.  Wait another minute, that didn't come out exactly right! :oops:

In The Groove

« Reply #48 on: 19 Feb 2007, 10:48 pm »
I've never heard about tweaking Grados.  Who is this Frank? Van Alstine?

Modifying carts is a new concept for me.  What do they do in a mod?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #49 on: 19 Feb 2007, 11:07 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24666.0

I've never heard about tweaking Grados.  Who is this Frank? Van Alstine?

Modifying carts is a new concept for me.  What do they do in a mod?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:44 pm »
Hey Henry!

What lo output Gold are you talking about....I know of only their 4.0mv product? Do tell.....

John / TCG 

Wait a minute... this guy is telling you to be content with what you like and own? :scratch:  That's just perverse.  :lol:

I have the 1.5mv version of the Platinum and it does reveal a little more information and seems a little quieter that the trusty Green.  Is it worth four Greens?  Nope.  If I were doing it again, I'd probably look for a low output Gold and tweak it.  No big regrets on the Platinum, it was only $80 bucks more than the Gold (I got a really good deal).

These carts are a bit addictive after a while.  They do so many things right, and Frank's tweaks make them even better.  That's why I wonder if the tweaked Gold wouldn't outperform my low-end woodie.  Wait another minute, that didn't come out exactly right! :oops:

ohenry

« Reply #51 on: 21 Feb 2007, 01:19 am »
Hey John,
I assumed the silver/gold had the low output option (I honestly thought I saw that somewhere, I guess I dreamed it  :oops:).  I'd still try the tweaked Gold as I stated before.

I'll let you know if I have that dream again and how it sounded through my 20 yr old ears.  If I'm dreaming, why not make it good.   :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2007, 01:26 am »
Hey, why not throw a vintage Jaclyn Smith in that dream, too, for better measure. :wink:

Steve

« Reply #53 on: 26 Apr 2007, 12:57 am »
Hi Guys,

Well, bought a grado black and it is unseemly good for such a low price. Went to the symphony the other night and Itzhak Perlman was the feature.

Went home and checked out the system. Set up the cartridge for flatness, approx 11k ohms. The grado is a steal. 

Thanks for starting the string TCG.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #54 on: 26 Apr 2007, 01:24 am »
Yeah, to me, among my stable of cartridges...the lowly Grado Green (now with a Shibata tip from a NOS Grado G1+) is the most real sounding.  I came back from two symphonic recitals and auditioned each of the several that I have and each time the Grado sounded the most right to me. The instruments sounded more correct and the height, width and depth of the performance was re-created well I thought.

With the Shibata tip it avoids the end-of-record distortion that the Prestige series seems plagued by.

It is plagued by issues as all cartridges are, but at it's price it seems plagued by less than most.  Or, it's faults are fairly easy to live with.

I look forward to loading it correctly one day to milk that last bit of performance from it. When I called Grado a month+ ago to ask where in the line to step to from here...I was told I'm 90% there already....I'd be paying a lot more for that last 10%.  Refreshing talk from Grado Labs that was  :thumb:

Steve, make sure you have 25 hours + on it...it does improve with age some  :) 

WGH

« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:56 am »
However, with my new Harmon Kardon T25 turntable, the Grado Green Longhorn sounds fantastic. We were listening to it last night and damn. It's close to the Empire. I'm tracking at 1.5 grams as well.

W

Wayner - Have you done Frank's power supply/transformer mod on the T25 yet? The improvement is worth the effort, the sound is so much smoother. I have a H-K T55C with the mod. Mico speed fluctuations are also now gone, I have also found that turning off the quartz lock improves the imaging (your turntable may not have this option). How about a mini-review of your 6 turntables sometime?