Cassettes, baby, that’s where it's at!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Cassettes, baby, that’s where it at!
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2015, 11:09 pm »
I could use it for a vintage headphone system so lucky 7 for me, please!

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:06 am »

Gees, even if you just set it on your rack, it's a really nice black box with buttons and lights and stuff so you can impress your friends. That alone worth price paid, methinks.

I agree.  I have a couple of empty shelves on one spare system and keep my RTA there as well as an old VHS machine.  I might swap out the old VHS machine and stick my old cassette deck there instead.

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:20 am »
Hi Phil A and others.
I have two mint condition VHS players.
One was given to me F.O.C. (JVC) and the other I bought for 10$ in a garage sales (Pioneer).
I keep them, because I have about 30 recorded VHS cassettes.
Ten are photography tutorial from Dean Collins
and the others are of my daughter Thien-Kim when she was about 2 years old,
all of them are more than 20 years old and still play well, not high resolution,
but still sharp enough for me...

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:31 am »
I have a VHS player with a USB output (I gave away my CD Recorder and DVD Recorder before my last move).  I converted a homemade VHS tape to a DVD for someone with it last week.  When I had the DVD recorder, I'd use my regular VHS machine to do what I just did.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2015, 12:45 am »
Cassettes really are back!!!
http://cassettestoreday.us/

I'll go with #9.

hi5harry

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:09 am »
I'm in! Here's my Luxman K 405 with DBX. Who can give up all those party tapes we made in college!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:34 am »
I'm in! Here's my Luxman K 405 with DBX. Who can give up all those party tapes we made in college!

Ok then, but I gotta clarify something. If you're into cassette decks in general, that's cool, but if you're indicating your interest in this one, you're going to have to pick a number to have a shot. Capiche?

I remember slaving over making  those mix tapes, dropping the needle on a track at a time...it was a significant endeavor!

2bigears

« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:36 am »
 :D I actually plugged and played my old Sony Walkman .. loaded a store bought cassette and wowwwwwww,
           did it sound like shit ,,,, no real other way to put it,,,, :D

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:39 am »
:D I actually plugged and played my old Sony Walkman .. loaded a store bought cassette and wowwwwwww,
           did it sound like shit ,,,, no real other way to put it,,,, :D

Oh come on now, did you have to poison the water? I'm sure you meant to say that you were "surprised by the sound quality"...right?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:50 am »

Odal3

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2015, 01:59 am »
You are all using these type of phone covers, right?

Mix tapes brings back a lot of memories

rocker9999

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:23 am »
Party on WAYNE!   :thumb:

hi5harry

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:29 am »
#47 please

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:35 am »
Does it go to 11?  I choose 11.  I have 40 or so tapes with many compilations I spent much time...compiling.  Would be nice to hear them again.  My Sony Walkman WM-D6C died over a decade ago and Sony could not repair it.  :(  I hate it when manufacturers use unobtainium in their designs.

Delacroix

« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2015, 03:19 am »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Cassettes, baby, that’s where it's at!
« Reply #35 on: 17 Oct 2015, 01:30 pm »
A boot to the top of the pile in case some cassette lover missed first go.

I'll draw the lucky winner tomorrow (Sunday 17th) at 12:00 MST or thereabouts.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:39 am »
One final push, I promise...

2bigears

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:37 am »
 :D  ahhhhhh ,   14 was my number ..... :D

plaf26

« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2015, 03:16 am »
There are those who say the cassette is not and never was a hi-fi format.  You could say the same for 78 rpm discs, but with good equipment it's surprising how much sound you can find on them.  I have several pre-recorded cassettes that I began collecting with my first deck, an Advent 201.  Now I've got a Tascam 122 Mk III playing through my AVA equipment and Philharmonic 3s (see my "Systems" and "Gallery" entries) and I hear stuff on those old tapes I never heard before.  No number; I like what I got, thanks :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:13 pm »
Now I've got a Tascam 122 Mk III playing through my AVA equipment and Philharmonic 3s (see my "Systems" and "Gallery" entries) and I hear stuff on those old tapes I never heard before. 

Doesn't surprise me.  I think in the old days I had a Teac C-3RX.  Built like a tank and had dbx noise reduction.  I used to record a MoFi album when I got it on the first play through.  One time I had a Dynaco preamp and amp (ST-70) that I traded for.  The guy told me they didn't work.  After sitting in an upstairs bedroom for almost a year I diagnosed the preamp needed a $0.79 LED and the amp a $12.50 tube.  I used them for over 6 months and decided to sell them.  I had a guy over my house who was going to buy the Dynaco stuff and we started talking and I told him that I couldn't tell the difference between a record playing and something recorded on the Teac.  He was looking for a cassette deck and asked me if I was willing to sell the Teac (I said yes) and I put on a record and recorded the song and he swore I was playing the record again (it was still spinning but I changed the source on the preamp) and he didn't believe me until I stopped the turntable and it was still playing.