Proac Carbon Pro 8

WBimmer

Proac Carbon Pro 8
« on: 9 May 2010, 06:51 pm »
I was in Absolute in Calgary yesterday and had the privalege of listening to their just received Proac Carbon Pro 8's.  Apparently these are the second set in North America.

They did sound very good although not fully broken in yet.  I found the them to be very clean and accurate and a lot faster than my Kef 205's.  Norah Jones voice sounded like it was in the room. 

Their claim is that they sound like electrostatics, but without the compromises...

Has anyone had any experience with Proac and Bryston equipment??

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Proac Carbon Pro 8
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 07:46 pm »
I take it you did not audition them with Bryston?

Napalm

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2010, 09:30 pm »
[...]Proac Carbon Pro 8[...]

Sounds like a brand of fishing rods to me  :jester:

brucek

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2010, 10:04 pm »

I think the ProAc Carbon Pro 8's list around $40K, so I can't speak to how they sound, as they're a bit out of my league, but I can guess they're great.

I use the less expensive ProAc Response 3.8's that cost me about $11K a number of years ago - so quite a step down from the Pro 8's, but they still use the carbon fibre cone speakers.

You can never go wrong with ProAc in my opinion.

They are the smoothest sounding speakers I've run across and was sold the first time I heard my speakers. I do mate them with Bryston electronics.

brucek

WBimmer

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2010, 10:45 pm »
I take it you did not audition them with Bryston?

No, they had them hooked up to an Ayre Acoustics 150 WPC amp which was doing a really good job of making them work.  I told them I would come back when they had them hooked up to the 28B's and they offered to pack them to my house for an in-house audition.

James, we'll have to rely on your speaker fetish for a review.  BTW, I don't think I ever saw a review from you on the Kef 207's you had.  I remember a quick impression when you first got them, but then never saw anything else.  How are they performing for you these days??

Wayne.

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2010, 11:27 pm »
Cool, that's the best way to go! Good luck! I bet they'll sound great with your 28Bs!

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2010, 11:28 pm »
I think the ProAc Carbon Pro 8's list around $40K, so I can't speak to how they sound, as they're a bit out of my league, but I can guess they're great.

I use the less expensive ProAc Response 3.8's that cost me about $11K a number of years ago - so quite a step down from the Pro 8's, but they still use the carbon fibre cone speakers.

You can never go wrong with ProAc in my opinion.

They are the smoothest sounding speakers I've run across and was sold the first time I heard my speakers. I do mate them with Bryston electronics.

brucek

Are those tri-amped?

brucek

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2010, 11:30 pm »
Are those tri-amped?

No, the other amps are for center, back and surround speakers.

brucek

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2010, 11:36 pm »
Oh ok. Thanks.

VOLKS

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2010, 02:38 am »
I was in Absolute in Calgary yesterday and had the privalege of listening to their just received Proac Carbon Pro 8's.  Apparently these are the second set in North America.

They did sound very good although not fully broken in yet.  I found the them to be very clean and accurate and a lot faster than my Kef 205's.  Norah Jones voice sounded like it was in the room. 

Their claim is that they sound like electrostatics, but without the compromises...

Listened to these at Absolute today hooked up to a 28BSST2 and a Ayre Preamp and a BCD-1.The bass was so very tight and well controlled.Imaging was amazing.One of the fastest speakers i have ever heard.The 28BSST2 powered the Proac Carbon Pro 8's with ease.To me the sound is very different then the Kef`s.Where the Kef is a warm speaker......the Carbon 8`s are very fast and more open-upfront without being overbearing.High marks indeed!

WBimmer

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2010, 04:22 am »

Listened to these at Absolute today hooked up to a 28BSST2 and a Ayre Preamp and a BCD-1.The bass was so very tight and well controlled.Imaging was amazing.One of the fastest speakers i have ever heard.The 28BSST2 powered the Proac Carbon Pro 8's with ease.To me the sound is very different then the Kef`s.Where the Kef is a warm speaker......the Carbon 8`s are very fast and more open-upfront without being overbearing.High marks indeed!

Nice.  Aren't you interested in the Kef 207's??  Would these make you change your mind??

Sometimes when I go into the store and listen to other speakers, I come home and it takes me a day of listening to my speakers to like them again, but that didn't happen this time.  I guess I'm more toward the warm side, but I will still have to make a visit and hear them with Bryston gear...

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2010, 04:53 am »

Cool! I wish I could afford them!

However, how's the bass? With only 2 8 inch woofers per side? That's one thing that's kind of turned me off on Pro Ac...small woofers.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2010, 06:05 am by vegasdave »

VOLKS

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2010, 05:30 am »
Nice.  Aren't you interested in the Kef 207's??  Would these make you change your mind??

Sometimes when I go into the store and listen to other speakers, I come home and it takes me a day of listening to my speakers to like them again, but that didn't happen this time.  I guess I'm more toward the warm side, but I will still have to make a visit and hear them with Bryston gear...

The 207-2`s are to big for my current room........i will happily get the latest version of the Kef 205-2`S Reference....unless your selling your 205`s .......then you can buy the Proac 8`s lol  :thumb: