omega super 3xrs

francoX

omega super 3xrs
« on: 26 Jul 2014, 07:21 am »
Hi, i'm new to this forum. I am in search for a high sensitivity speaker and the omega super 3xrs is on my list. I like a full and reasonably dynamic sound with images that are lifelike. Would the super 3xrs be a good choice? I have never listened to an omega speaker and my concern is that it may sound "small" and lacking in volume and dynamics due to its small driver. Will appreciate your comments. By the way, I will be using a decware mini torii or a leben 300xs as my amp. Thanks, FrancoX

Capt. Yossarian

Re: omega super 3xrs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:48 pm »
FrancoX --

I do NOT have experience with the Omega Super 3XRS -- but I DO have experience with the Omega Super 3S. They are exceptional speakers. I have them powered by a Dared 2A3C integrated amplifier (8 wpc), connected with KimberKable speaker cables, sourced by a Marantz disc player.

I've had this setup in place since November, 2013 -- so far, about 120 hours on it. The sound is magical, beautiful, sublime -- the combination produces a full soundstage, great detail -- and it has a certain 'naturalness' to it that enables you to just sit and listen to the music for hours at a time.

My musical tastes are classical, jazz (Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Dave Brubeck, etc.), classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Jefferson Airplane, CSNY, Led Zeppelin, etc.) and miscellaneous (Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Kitaro, world music, etc.).

Without exception, it all sounds beautiful through this system.

One of the things that made it for me, too -- the price. Now, I already had the Marantz and the interconnect -- but the cost of the Omegas, the Dared and the KimberKables was substantially less than $2,500.

You can't go wrong with Omega's speakers -- Louis is doing a magnificent job of feeding our audio needs, and at the most amazing prices you're likely to find.

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2014, 06:35 pm »
It's kind of hard to tell you if the xrs's will sound full, big and dynamic enough to you without really knowing what your frame of reference is.  In other words, if you are now listening to some multi driver setup with big woofers and you are looking for something that's going to have that much impact, then you may be disappointed.

I have some experience with a few other single driver speakers and the xrs's easily sound bigger and fuller than the other albeit smaller cabinet sized single driver speakers I have.

I also have lots of experience with various bookshelf speakers with 4 to 6 inch woofers.  Depending upon the type of music, the Omegas will pretty much keep up with all of them unless you really start pushing the volume with complex music.

The magic of the Omegas for me is that I never feel like I need to turn them up loud.  They give me all the detail and dynamics at lower listening levels than conventional speakers. 

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm »
Hi, i'm new to this forum. I am in search for a high sensitivity speaker and the omega super 3xrs is on my list. I like a full and reasonably dynamic sound with images that are lifelike. Would the super 3xrs be a good choice? I have never listened to an omega speaker and my concern is that it may sound "small" and lacking in volume and dynamics due to its small driver. Will appreciate your comments. By the way, I will be using a decware mini torii or a leben 300xs as my amp. Thanks, FrancoX

Hello francoX.  I too had that same question; "...that it may sound "small" and lacking in volume and dynamics due to its small driver."  Due to my listening environment I went with the stand mount Super 5's,  positioned 8 feet from my listening position, run with a Denon amp and just recently field tested Artel Andrew Audio hybrid tube amp, Vermaak AA1.  There was some skepticism as I was new to the single driver, high sensitive design and just needed to buy and listen for myself.   For me, the RS5 driver is superb.  Staging, image specificity and depth are astounding (with some minimal break in time).    If you have a small to moderate room and don't experience your SPL's to ear-bleeding levels these can work for you.  Their general presentation is intimate, and forward (just like my Axioms which I really like).   Think overall sonics like Haagen-Dazs.   You will be shocked how loud the drivers can go without breakup.  I also had a opportunity to listen to Louis' Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 in a real-world environment.  Very similar to the Super 5's except a little deeper and a little louder.  Working with Louis is awesome and fit/finish of his line does not belong at these price levels.  Hope this helps.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:56 pm »
Hello francoX,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

The Super 3XRS is probably one of the smallest towers made, then add to that the tiny single driver and one's perception can easily suggest these must have a small presentation too.  This perception couldn't be further from the truth.  One of the hallmarks of this speaker is the huge soundstage it is able to produce for it's petite size.  The word "giant killer" is thrown around a lot in audio circles, but in the case of the Super 3XRS, it's justified. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2014, 03:21 am »
Yes, it is cool to see the look of bewilderment and amazement on friends' faces when they hear my system.  :green:   They have a hard time comprehending the fact the sound is coming from "only" those 2 little drivers. That said, if you want to recreate rock concerts and need to play Led Zeppelin at 120 dB, well... obviously that's not happening! High SPLs and startling dynamics are the main compromises, but for many people having these are not top priorities. In a smaller room and listening nearfield (~6' or less) these are almost impossible to beat.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2014, 04:22 am »

Hi all.
What I can say/confirmed after a few months living with my Omega 7F Open Baffle Dipole
is that Louis is a winner here.
I will also confirm that for me, I need to supplement the weak bass of the Omega 7F,
I know, you will say that I cannot get bass with an OBD configuration, well guess what?
I knew that already.
I had a pair of Audio Nirvana 8" full range drivers installed in a bass reflex enclosure
and I had anemic bass, well, that's according to me, for some, it might be enough bass.
I have my modified GR Research V2
and I have very nice bass even if the Eminence Acoustinator acoustic guitar drivers
are not truly hi-end or audiophile woofers.
I am not sure were I cross the GR Research SA1 ss plate amplifier,
but the transition between the Omega 7F and my OBD subwoofer is nice.
I am not sure if the 40 to 3500 Hz range of the Acoustinator helps in getting good bass and mids,
but I like that sound.
Now, 40Hz might not be very low, but it's enough for me, plenty low for me,
it's better than an Omega 7F in a bass reflex enclosure.
Do any one of you read something negative in this post ? ? ?
I think not, I love my Omega 7F OBD... With a subwoofer of course.
In the future I wanted to build a bass reflex enclosure for my Omega 7F,
but thinking about it, I am sure I won't be happy with the bass
and why would I spend $ $ $ when I have winner speakers that are paid for
and make me happy.
Yes, I would recommend any Omega products
and yes, they are not made for all kind of music and all kind of people.
Each person is different and it's good that way.
How would be our planet if all would be the same,
with the same taste for music and anything else.
Boring for sure.
Thanks Louis.

Guy 13.

francoX

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:16 am »
Thanks for your responses. I am currently using a harbeth compact 7es3 in a smallish 12' x 15' x 9' dedicated room with a 60 watt integrated transistor amp (LFD).The sound i'm getting is full, big and with wide stage for a stand mount speaker. However, i have always loved the sound of SET/SEP amps and would want to get speakers that are easy to drive. If I want bigger sound similar to my harbeths, would I be better off getting the bigger models like the super 7xrs or Alnico monitors? How do these models compare to the super 3xrs?

On another note, I just talked a friend who used to own older omega speakers (not sure about the model but i think he mentioned 8F) and he said he did not like them because they sounded bright, peaky and shouty. Is this true of older omega models? Is my understanding correct that these issues have been addressed with the introduction of new drivers?

jorgen

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:39 am »
Hi Franco
I'm using decware minitorii and I'm wishing you good luck in the process of finding your amp and speakers. I phoned Louis in December and he explained a lot and help me land on a pair of floorstanders with 7" alnico. Together I find them to be a pretty good match  for my taste in music. Haven't heard any other omega speakers but mine sure don't sound shouty or difficult in any way. An important feature with the decware is the treble shunt. Some recordings are sub-optimal and in my experience the way the s sound sounds is a hint if to use this feature. I don't think this is because of the driver, but tube amps and highly sensitive drivers do reveal a less than optimal recording or source. As in , it amplifies everything.
Personally I prefer the speakers to be of an certain size, maybe not correct but I think the size matters in giving the music a little.extra in the low frequency area and also helps giving weight and body.  But I di have a relative big listening room, so there are many factors to calculate what is right for each and everyone.

I do find the Omega and decware combo to be really good and this is a really good system no matter what you compare it to, and for.the.price some people think you can't do much better.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2014, 02:51 pm »
On another note, I just talked a friend who used to own older omega speakers (not sure about the model but i think he mentioned 8F) and he said he did not like them because they sounded bright, peaky and shouty. Is this true of older omega models? Is my understanding correct that these issues have been addressed with the introduction of new drivers?

When Omega first started they used Fostex drivers which could be shouty but the new drivers are very smooth.

CSI

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2014, 03:35 pm »
Hi Franco,

I have been using that exact combination since I bought my Super 3XRS in April (Super 3XRS with mini torii). My room is pretty small (10x12) and the Omega's do NOT sound small. They are great imaging speakers with tons of dynamic range and a huge soundstage. We are remodeling and I will be moving my system to our very large living/dining space - 25' x 38" with 15' vaulted ceilings. I've tried them there and they work amazingly well in this huge area. I've decided, since I will have the extra breathing room, to step up to the top of the line Omega Alnico XRS but first I need to sell my Super3XRS. I don't think this is the appropriate place to pitch a sale so please send me a PM or check my post from July 18 in "Trading Post: Speakers" if you are interested. If not, buy them new from Louis. You will never regret it.

jorgen

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2014, 07:14 pm »
CSI:
Are you keeping the MT and sort of upgrading the speakers to 7"alnico?
I really enjoy the combo so  :thumb:
A little curious what the bigger Torii would do.. but difficult to find a used one with 240V .
And as stated,  the MT punches above its weight. At the moment waiting for some new tubes , blew a ez81 and went a little berserk at the tubestore.
Have you heard it with a good sub? I'm sort of thinking about it, don't reaaly think I NEED one but could be funny to have tried how it it sounds, and for some Little Rhymes it would be an extra punch maybe

CSI

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2014, 08:30 pm »
Yes, exactly that. The Super 7XRS are the same sensitivity as my Super 3XRS (actually a wee bit better) and the 3's were plenty loud in my larger space. If I think I need more juice later on I may move up to the full sized Tori (25 watts) but my bank account will have to do some recovering first. It is hard to find a used Decware amp at any voltage. I am using the Super 3XRS with an ACI subwoofer crossed over below 60 Hz. But is isn't really needed except on some very low stuff like Organ music.

jorgen

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2014, 08:51 pm »
Hi again
I have a pair of customshop omegas with 7"alnico driver.  Not a 7xrs but maybe  a 3xrs with some extra volume and a 7"alnico driver. Check the thread called news. Love the sound in my 40m2 size room.