ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!

modwright

ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!
« on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:43 am »
I have been asked to separate the Sony XA5400ES and Oppo BDP-83 mod thread, so here is the start of it.

The SS OP stage mod for the Oppo will be in the $995 range.  A tube mod for the Oppo, similar if not identical to that which will be done for the Sony 5400ES would be $1995.

"Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
? Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 01:59:00 PM ? Hi guys, I have been paying attention to this thread.  Alan Kimmel is actually working on a design for a SS output stage that borrows from our amplifiers input stage.  That is one possibility for both HT processors and Oppo mods.  We could also do a tube mod for the Oppo.

Once the SS OP design is finalized by Alan and I get a chance to listen to it and also get a chance to work on one of the new Oppo's, then I will know which way to go.

The intent with the new SS OP stage is that it can take up much less room than tubes, could be applied to MCH uses and would be less costly."

"A Blu-ray player would be something I'd be interested in !!! To me the right BDP (like the Oppo) would be a nice progressive first step. It shouldn't be long before the Oppo is released to the masses.

Here are some pics of the Oppo including inside of the unit, if interested (not my pics).

http://vtbsd.net/bdp83/

CURRENT NEWS:

We have an Oppo, thank you Jeff!  I have the output stage PCB designed and am still looking for the right power transformer for the dedicated analog stage power supply as part of our mod.  This will be finalized soon and the 2CH mod evaluated.  We will then upgrade the clock and further evaluate.  Assuming we are as pleased with the 2CH mod as expected, the mod board will be further expanded to allow options for 2CH or MCH and 2CH mod circuits.

Thanks guys!

Dan

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 07:26 pm by modwright »

talk2me

Re: ModWright Modified Oppo BD-83!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2009, 02:32 am »
OK, Great. Group buy to get this started?? .... J/K. Sounds great and thanks. :thumb:

MrBrix

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2009, 04:07 pm »
Will keep track of this thread.  My oppo BDP is anxiously waiting.  Tubes or SS mod options open

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2009, 05:33 pm »
I bought an Oppo via an early invite almost two weeks ago. Assuming nothing goes wrong with it and I make it past the 30 day return time window...I'll be giving you a serious look and probably go the SS OP mod route.

CURRENT NEWS:

We have an Oppo, thank you Jeff!  I have the output stage PCB designed and am still looking for the right power transformer for the dedicated analog stage power supply as part of our mod.  This will be finalized soon and the 2CH mod evaluated.  We will then upgrade the clock and further evaluate.  Assuming we are as pleased with the 2CH mod as expected, the mod board will be further expanded to allow options for 2CH or MCH and 2CH mod circuits.

Thanks guys!

Dan

What kind of ballpark timeframe do you think you're looking at here?

modwright

Re: ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2009, 06:56 pm »
I expect to have it ready in the next few weeks, max.  The Sony got ahead of the Oppo a bit, as the mod is more complex, but they are both progressing forward at the same time.

Thanks,

Dan

Nolan B

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:42 pm »
Any chance you can post some before and after pictures of the Mod?

I am really looking forward to this. What will the turn around time likely be if an Oppo is sent to you?

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:59 pm »
Yes, I will post pre and post pix.  The unit will look the same externally, but I will shoot pre and post internal shots.

Once the mod is complete, turnaround time will be 1-2 weeks.

Thanks,

Dan

Nolan B

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2009, 03:39 am »
Speaking of the external view ...have you ever considered have a new faceplate made with your logo on it? Does that run into any legal issues? Id love to replace the black aluminum facing of the Oppo with your great looking MW aluminum look.

Any chance?

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:13 am »
That is a great suggestion and I have a local company that could do this well for us.  Perhaps a simple AL plate with our MWI logo.  This isn't a legal issue, because the units are purchased from Oppo and our work is aftermarket - i.e. we are not calling the Oppo player a ModWright.

Thanks!

Dan

sac8d4

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:49 am »
Dan,

Have you also completed the Tube mod on the oppo? If so, can we see some internal and external pics as well?

Nolan B

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:18 am »
delete
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2009, 09:39 pm by Nolan B »

talk2me

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:45 am »
I posted this on the wrong thread" Well, it ia pretty well understood that using the MWTP @ $2500 more, as a DAC, is superior for 2 channel audio vs a modded 83. But how much better? "  I am on the fence as to wether or not the 83/MWTP combo is vastly superior in sound to the new modded 83 for 2 channel playback.

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm »
I have not completed the tube mod for the Oppo yet.  I am still working on the tube mod for the Sony and SS mod for the Oppo.  I will share pictures when complete.

Thanks!

Dan

Nolan B

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2009, 01:33 am »
Have you considered or are you able to mod the player to be region free, or is that a  :nono:

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21 am »
Well, it is technially a  :nono:, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.  I just don't know how and haven't researched it.  I believe it is a software or firmware hack.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

MUSIC AT LAST!
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2009, 11:09 pm »
Okay guys, this is just the first time that I have heard music from the Oppo with 2CH analog mod stage, but I just have to tell you guys that this is a HOT ONE!  It is unusual for the first time I hit the Play button to make me smile this big.  Alan has designed a brilliant circuit that adapts very well to the Oppo and I have designed and assembled a dedicated power supply and analog stage board that fits neatly inside the Oppo enclosure.

This is just the first step, sans clock upgrade, etc., but it sounds REALLY GOOD!

I just had to share that THIS one is VERY NEARLY DONE!

Take care,

Dan

MrBrix

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2009, 02:38 am »
 :thumb:  Sounds like we are getting close Dan.  My Oppo patiently waits  :drool:

Nolan B

Re: MUSIC AT LAST!
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2009, 04:02 am »
Okay guys, this is just the first time that I have heard music from the Oppo with 2CH analog mod stage, but I just have to tell you guys that this is a HOT ONE!  It is unusual for the first time I hit the Play button to make me smile this big.  Alan has designed a brilliant circuit that adapts very well to the Oppo and I have designed and assembled a dedicated power supply and analog stage board that fits neatly inside the Oppo enclosure.

This is just the first step, sans clock upgrade, etc., but it sounds REALLY GOOD!

I just had to share that THIS one is VERY NEARLY DONE!

Take care,

Dan

great to hear.

Curiously in your opinion is it possible to get the MCH to sound as good as the 2 channel using your mod, or are you limited by the differences in DACs?

I guess what I am asking is post mod will the dedicated 2 channel sound better then the MCH?

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 05:49 am by Nolan B »

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:36 pm »
Well, I am designing circuit boards that will allow as many as 9-10 discrete analog stages that can be driven by the new analog supply that we have already designed and built into the Oppo.

I know that the MCH and Stereo DAC are different, but I believe that the MCH performance will be exemplary, as will the 2CH sound.  We may go a bit further with the front stereo channels, but I do believe that MCH sound will be exceptional.

The DAC is important, but both DACs are very good and the analog stage is VERY important.  The difference in sound between the new discrete analog stage and stock analog stage is simply rediculous ;).

I still have to install the upgraded clock and upgrade the main power supply to improve digital performance.

The mod is going well and I am VERY excited about this product.  I still can't say that its performance will better our very best products such as the Transporter and the Sony XA5400ES (when complete), but at < 1/2 the price, the Oppo BDP-83 could well be the one digital source to rule them all....for 2CH, Universal playback, MCH, video, blue-ray, etc.  It is a true winner in my book!

Thanks,

Dan

jwes

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:48 pm »
Hi Dan,

Quick question on the Blu Ray element of this.  My understanding is that Blu Ray technology is changing rapidly.  So, it makes me wonder if I were to purchase a modified player, would I lock in the current technology, and therefore it would be obsolete soon, or is this somehow set up to be able to incorporate the new changing technologies?  Thanks Dan!