Porter Port Audiophile Outlets

Harmon

Porter Port Audiophile Outlets
« on: 29 Jan 2008, 11:06 pm »
                       I am writing a small review of an audiophile outlet called Porter Ports made by Porterhouse Audio, which can be found being sold on Audiogon for $36.00 each. Just write Porter Ports in the search window. These hospital grade Hubbell outlets are cryogenically treated.  I personally installed the Porter Port in my wall just behind my stereo system not expecting much difference: maybe 5% to 10% difference in sound quality.  As soon as the first disc started to play the difference in sound was absolutely jaw dropping.  To repeat, THE  DIFFERENCE  IN  SOUND  WAS  ABSOLUTELY  JAW  DROPPING!!! It is difficult to put a percentage on how much difference in the sound that there was before the Porter Ports versus with them, but conservatively it would be at least a 25% to 30% improvement.  If  someone listening to my system said that there was a 50% to 60% improvement it would be believable.  It was very hard to believe that a simple tweak like this could make such a huge difference. The bass frequencies seem to be more intense(louder), go deeper, and tighter.  The midrange frequencies were more detailed and realistic especially on vocals(i.e. Live At Blues Alley by Eva Cassidy). High frequencies seem to be significantly clearer. To summarize it is just a much more open and musical sound. This is no joke, this is one major tweak. If you decide to do this tweak have a professional electrician install the outlet just to be on the safe side. I am just a consumer and have no affiliation with Porterhouse Audio.

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2008, 12:07 am by Harmon »

DeanSheen

Re: Porter Port Audiophile Outlets
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm »
I installed some non treated Hubbell 5362 a couple weeks ago which I believe are the same model that he cryos.

I keep reading reviews like this and thinking I ought to have went for his. 

Mine were $50 out the door from a local electric supply place as I needed 3 for my system.  I just couldn't justify the added expense at those prices. That would have been $58 more dollars before shipping and without a contractor discount. 

Arghh.  Maybe I'll buy some more and send them out to be treated.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:40 am »
Glad you like the Porter Ports. I know Greg Straley endorses them highly. He is the one who turned me on to them. Enjoy.

Best,
Anand.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:43 am »
Harmon, I have the Porter Ports, too, now.....I heard no noted difference in them and the PS Audio ports in before them, or the $9.00 Lowe's Hospital grade outlets before that.

Maybe my system is not resolved enough or my hearing is average, but.......

The move from $0.39 contractor special that came with the house TO the $9 hospital grade port was very LARGE...on the order you are speaking about.

Did you have a cheapie port in your room to begin with?  If so, I can imagine your shock...moving to a port with a tighter fit is a revelatory experience  :o

Cool beans - enjoy  :thumb:  John

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:46 am »
I have used them in my Dodd Audio balanced power supply. I recommend them as well.  :thumb:

Harmon

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:52 am »
Hi John.  The port in the wall before was just an average type of outlet but it was definetly not anywhere near the hospital grade quality of this Hubbell outlet. I am telling you the difference is like getting a new amplifier.  :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2008, 01:27 am »
I am telling you the difference is like getting a new amplifier.  :D

Yeah, it's quite amazing what change is had from a cheapie port to something better.  After moving to a hospital grade one....the differences after that aren't so clear cut. 

You started with near the best, on your first foray on outlets - nuthin' wrong with 'dat  :thumb:

John

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2008, 01:01 pm »
Yeah, it's quite amazing what change is had from a cheapie port to something better.  After moving to a hospital grade one....the differences after that aren't so clear cut. 

You started with near the best, on your first foray on outlets - nuthin' wrong with 'dat  :thumb:

John

Hey John,

What you say may well be valid, in your system-
http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=774
In my system-
http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=771
there are significant perceived subjective differences among various industrial. hospital grade, and bespoke receptacles.
From your system description, I believe I've found a significant factor influencing your conclusions.
Power Cables  None at this time 
I believe your assessments might alter significantly if you used power cables to connect your components to the mains.  :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2008, 01:20 pm »
Paul,

I like fully passive systems.  My wife likes them even more  :lol:

Hey, you reminded me to update my system just now - thanks.

At the very least every audiophool should get a $10 hospital grade outlet from Lowe's...it's quite a jump in performance from the $0.39 contractor specials that came with the house.

Hey, I JUST read that PS Audio introduced their new Power Port Premier now, too: http://psaudio.com/products/powerportpremier.asp

Not dirt cheap at $100...but less than a lot of competing stuff in the market today.

John

Browntrout

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:29 am »
Hello, is there an equivalant wall socket for the British market? I've never seen a proper audiophile wall socket available over here, would be nice to try one.

cryoparts

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:50 am »
I haven't seen any of the "audio grade" three blade UK standard receptacles.  However, Furutech makes a nice Schuko receptacle, if that meets code in the UK:

http://furutech.com/a2008/product1.asp?arr_cata=EU.UK.AU%20High%20End%20Performance%20SCHUKO%20Wall%20Sockets

Peace,

Lee

Hello, is there an equivalant wall socket for the British market? I've never seen a proper audiophile wall socket available over here, would be nice to try one.

cryoparts

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2008, 01:53 am »
Albert has the Hubbell 8300HI cryo'd.  It's a non-plated brass, small bodied, hospital grade receptacle.

Peace,

Lee

I installed some non treated Hubbell 5362 a couple weeks ago which I believe are the same model that he cryos.

John Ryder

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2008, 11:09 pm »
Item Description:
The Power Port Premier is a custom built, hand crafted 15 to 20 amp AC receptacle of the highest quality. The internal contacts are machined out of pure copper, polished and then direct gold plated. The Power Port Premier will make a major improvement in the performance of connected equipment and will provide a life-long level of excellence.

So I guess it's safe to say (based on the company claims) that if I connect for example my PC to this $99 outlet (vs. a $2 one from Lowes), my PC will run better, faster, smoother....and if I connect say my alarm clock, it will keep better time or the radio sound will be clearer, fuller, my natual....or if I connect my toaster oven to it, my toast or pizza's will cook more evenly, and taste "excellent" compared to my standard plugs??

That's what he says in his ad, "Port Premier will make a major improvement in the performance of connected equipment "....

SO who's gone ahead and bought a 5 pack and used them with their PC and other none A/V equipment?  What were your results....?  Did the items connected feel like there was a $400 level of excellence added to things..food flavors etc?

Now on the flip side and most important of all, if the above examples I gave would show no differences (EX: faster, better cooked, smoother, more accurate etc) can someone please explain why?  Why would ONLY A/V equipment perform better than originally intended with these and any other electrical device connected yield the same exact results like they were connected to a $2 Lowes plug?

For $99 each I sure hope I'd see results like the A/V equipment appears to get from them.

maxwalrath

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2008, 11:27 pm »
...and if I connect say my alarm clock, it will keep better time or the radio sound will be clearer, fuller, my natual....or if I connect my toaster oven to it, my toast or pizza's will cook more evenly, and taste "excellent" compared to my standard plugs??...

...would show no differences (EX: faster, better cooked, smoother, more accurate etc)

I get where you're going, but those devices are either off or on, no in between.  Maybe your refrigerator would cool quicker upon delivery of it, but rather than debate or try to measure it (maybe if you wanted to cool the food as quickly as possible and maintain a constant temperature within 0.1 degrees with as little motor noise as possible.....but it's a silly apples to oranges comparison), I'd guess it would be easier to take other people's reviews into consideration.

Better yet, if you buy a Porter Port off Audiogon for $36, and if you don't like it, post your review of it here on AC, and I'll promise to buy it off of you for full price if you don't notice/like the effects.  That would be a better test than most people here (myself included) trying to talk about the effects it might have without trying it.  Personally, I don't have a clue why it would improve sound...but I'll trust the ears of others rather than try to display my lack of knowledge on the subject.

I'm serious about buying it off of you, btw.  I'd like to see a skeptic review it and you'd have no risk.

MaxCast

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2008, 12:06 am »
John, I put one on my microwave and the food did taste better.  So much so that I put one in my stereo system.  Haven't you been in this hobby long enough that some things are subjective and if you don't have something constructive to say, move along?

mmakshak

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2009, 08:42 am »
  I guess that I should mention that when I had dedicated lines installed by JSWhitlock(Audiogon), he used Porter Ports.  That was done a couple of years ago.

Ern Dog

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2011, 06:34 am »
I finally got my hands on one of these and I was not prepared to hear such a dramatic improvement.  This is my first venture into audiophile receptacles, so I'm upgrading from the cheapo one's.  This is a no brainer and I can't believe I haven't done this simple inexpensive tweak sooner.  Your mileage may vary.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2011, 12:25 pm »
Albert has the Hubbell 8300HI cryo'd.  It's a non-plated brass, small bodied, hospital grade receptacle.

Peace,

Lee

Brass outlets are, well, brass outlets.  Some form of copper or high copper content will give a better throughput and sound in my experience.  I have used the Power Ports and heard no improvements.  I now use the Maestros and I can say they do bring about a more 3D sound.  I tired a few on the most utilized outlets and then went back and added them to all the outlets once I heard the improvement. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2011, 02:22 pm »
Hey, another golden oldie . . . .  resurrected from the depths of the nether world!

I find this excellent comment to stand the test of time :

I think the same can be said for AC power cords too.

MttBsh

« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2011, 11:33 pm »
Here's a dumb question: If the power to my audio system already goes through a great power conditioner and top grade power cords, is the outlet back at the wall going to really make a difference? Seems as though the downstream conditioning would render any benefits from the outlet negligabe. I think of a washing machine - whether I threw in dirty clothes or already clean clothes, both would come out equally clean. That's the way my brain thinks.