Power Conditioning with Tubes...

SteveRB

Power Conditioning with Tubes...
« on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:39 pm »
hey guys,

Looking for a reasonable priced unit to plug my Leben gear into. I am hoping to get a little filtering, protection and single 'ON' button. I have looked around the PowerConditioning thread but they seem to be a little more focused on home theatre. I'm all tube and LPs. I do not have a dedicated circuit for my hifi so I could also use this unit to isolate my TV and internet devices...

Stereophile recently just recommended a large unit from APC. I was wondering if anyone has direct experience with these power filters on their gear? I was looking at a smaller version:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H10BLK&tab=models

Thanks

RDavidson

Re: Power Conditioning with Tubes...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:51 pm »
When you say "Leben gear" should we assume amp and preamp?

I would use a passive type filter (like Audience) for your lower power draw gear, and something with a big isolation transformer like BPT or or Equitech for your amp(s). But since you're wanting one box, BPT makes nice stuff and could probably build something specific to your needs (and I believe they implement passive and active filtering in their various products). You should give them a call or email and see what they suggest. Power regenerators are nice too. The key is finding a unit with enough power capacity for your whole system.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2015, 08:54 pm »
Leben CS 600 and phono preamp

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:00 pm »
For the gear you have, and since you ideally want one box that can offer the appropriate filtering / conditioning for both high and low power draw gear, BPT is really the only option that comes to mind that can do everything you want.

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:07 pm »
Thanks,

Is that gear reasonably priced or in the three figure range?

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:40 pm »
Steve -

Nice gear. Your Leben CS600 is a 32wpc push pull amp, so its hardly a powerhouse demanding 60amp instantaneous mains peaks, So a conditioner like the Audience Adept, typically with an individual isolated filter for each and every outlet (their duplexs have 2 filters), is a route that can give you straightforward power conditioning. The question isn't whether its individual inductors will constrain current draw, but rather, is the subjective impact of the Audience capacitors used in the conditioner to your liking.
Nor does it pay to be doctrinaire as to what your power conditioner should offer. Heck, Bybee conditioners make absolutely no sense to me, but I gotta say that in the right system they're subjectively very impressive.
The customized  SurgeX conditioners from ZenWave (with a Circle here), might be a good solution. The conditioners from Pi Audio Group (also with a Circle here) has many long term, satisfied customers.

I strongly recommend that you try before your final commitment to buy.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm by Occam »

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:45 pm »
I am using Audience Adept Respone AR2p to power my tube amps and very please with the result.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2015, 09:50 pm »
Dave at ZenWave is a great guy. I don't have experience with stock SurgeX or Dave's hot rodded SurgeX conditioners, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. Dave feels very strongly about the core engineering behind SurgeX products. I'm sure it's no BS.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm »
I am hoping to get a little filtering, protection and single 'ON' button.

Maybe it's just me being cautious, but I don't like the idea of turning a whole system on with a single button. It seems like you are asking for trouble when you do that.

If it were me, I would turn the integrated amp on separately. The amp would always be in the off position when I turn everything else on with "the single button". I would wait 15 seconds, then turn the amp on.

When it's time to turn it all off I would turn the Leben amp off first, then flip the single off switch for everything else.

Also, I agree that you can probably try just about any power conditioner that you want to try. Add up all of the AC power consumption figures from your owner's manuals, and then get a conditioner rated for twice that figure. I'll bet you are only drawing 200 to 300 watts from the wall (for the gear that you mentioned, plus another source component).

sturgus

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2015, 12:21 am »
Two thumbs up for BPT.  :thumb: I have their CPC for all my front end gear. I use a large Topaz iso-transformer for my tube amps. I will soon get one of the BP-3 Ultra's for my amps. I have heard the Ultra in a very nice  tube system, it works very well. You can't go wrong at least giving Chris a call. Tell him what you are doing and he may be able to custom fit something for you.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:23 am »
That's a great point Quiet Earth. Totally forgot about the turn on/off sequence, which can be particularly important with tube gear (in my experience). I learned the hard way once andK fried my woofers turning off my direct coupled tube preamp, before turning off my (also direct coupled) SS amp. :duh: Thank goodness it was just a temporary setup with a pair of EPI 100's. Woofers are relatively cheap and easy to replace in EPI's. :oops:

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2015, 05:23 am »
Steve,
I'd highly recommend you talk to Dave  over at PI Audio (as mentioned he has a circle  here).  His products are amazing and he'll  buld to suit your needs.   He wants  you to be  happy with yuor purchase, 30 day   money back guarentee and a lifetime warranty , pretty hard to go wrong.

I'm  running one of his  mini buss's,  I was  shocked at the  difference it made to my system ( did a mini review over in his  circle).  A buddy of mine  heard the difference it made  and eneded upo ordering an Uber Buss which  he is  exremely happy with  .

Start off by talking  with Dave, tell him what you're after.
From my experience with his products, I'd be  very surprised if he gets many   returns after the 30 day  "trial"

-jay