VR-4Jr Upgrade?

len

VR-4Jr Upgrade?
« on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:36 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading my original VR-4Jr speakers to the Mk. III level.  I'm very fond of the speakers the way they are and they suit my space and equipment just fine. I'm driving them with a bi-wired Sim W-5.  Most of my listening is of classical vinyl through an all tube phono pre.   The factory upgrade cost is steep though, $2500 + shipping both ways.  Any experience with this upgrade that you'd like to share?

Chrisandalex1

Re: VR-4Jr Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 02:20 am »
I just got mine back today, and they are the very first VR4 jr Mk. IV's.  Albert and Lee have been raving about them for the last week.  They even said they are considering bringing them back because they are that good.

I guess I will let you know my thoughts in a few days.  My entire new system will be set up this weekend.  I am guessing it will take a while to settle in, but I will give you my initial impressions as soon as I can.

I also got two V-10 Shockwave subs that we will run with Albert's signal sensing cables of the left and right woofer cabinets.  They want me to place them across the room firing back at the speakers.  They look very capable for a small sub.

Then I bought the Visiun Center Channel.  Now this thing is huge.  I have it on the Sound Anchors stand, and it is imposing to say the least. I can't wait to get it hooked up and have a listen.

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2015, 05:35 pm »
Regarding placement of your new V-10 Shockwaves.  My VSA VR100XS system includes a pair of the XS-15" subwoofers.  During the installation of the system, we compared placing the subs next to the towers with placing them at the rear of the room.  With the rear placement, they take the system to another level, opening the soundstage into the listening room as well as neutralizing bass nodes.  Be sure to adjust the phase rotation control.  Once you get that dialed in, the subs disappear as separate sound sources.  The extended low frequencies integrate perfectly with the main speakers with a low end that really adds to the realism, but that opening-up of the soundstage is their special achievement.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2015, 07:04 pm »
Hey Kernelbob,

Albert and Lee actually took the time to set them up with my speakers in a room very similar in size to mine and dial them in.  They marked on the subs dials where they thought they integrated best with the speakers.  I am very anxious to start setting them up.  By tomorrow evening we should have them online, and by Sunday night hopefully the entire new system dialed in.

I will let you know the results.

Chris