Sold: PBN/BSI Model 4 Mk2 - $7500 - Possible trade for solid state amps/pre??

tdangelo

I would say these are my favorite speakers so far. I've had many different models like the Usher BE20 with upgraded crossover, Vandy 5A, Analysis Audio Amphitryon, Rosso Fiorentino Siena, Soundlab etc... The Model 4 sounds better to me than all at a fraction of the price. If these speakers were sold through the normal chains they would retail for around $30,000-$40,000 (see below). I purchased them directly from PBN about 3 years ago and they haven't left my smoke free, child/pet free room. Only 4 pair of these were made before BSI went out of business. I usually never keep speakers this long and would keep these forever but we decided to downsize and have purchased a townhome. Unfortunately they need a good size room which I won't have :-/ They have been pampered and are in excellent condition.

I can ship the speakers via freight truck to anywhere in the US and am willing to demo them in my home. I live in St. Augustine, FL - serious buyers only please.

The speakers were manufactured for BSI by Peter Noerbaek of PBN Audio, the master speaker-builder who has manufactured hundreds of speakers not only for BSI, but for Quintessence (check out the $50K “Stealth” model} and for his own company PBN (including the “Montana” loudspeakers). Mr. Noerbaek has an enviable reputation in the audio industry.

Some features:

The speakers include the following top-of-the line Scanspeak drivers.

Tweeters (1):  Scanspeak Illuminator D3004/6640 (Beryllium)

Midbass (2):   Scanspeak Illuminator 18WU/8741T

Woofer (2):    Scanspeak Revelator 26W/8861T

Scanspeak is very highly respected in the industry and has been used on major audio brands such as Vandersteen (Model 7) and Rockport (Altair).

The Beryllium tweeter is highly acclaimed and enjoys cult status. The midbass and the tweeters are arranged in a D’Appolito array in the same manner as Wilson and YG. The drivers, including the woofers, are matched up in pairs that are within .2 db of each other.

CABINET:

Manufactured by PBN Audio/Peter Noerbeck using 3-D modeling and precision-cut by PBN using CNC machines. The cabinets are 2 inches thick (actually two 1 in. layers of MDF) and include sophisticated and extensive internal bracing.  They are finished in automotive-grade paint, in this case Mercedes silver and are as attractive, if not more so, than many top $$ speakers.

BUILT-IN POWER AMPS

Each speaker contains a Hypex model DS 8.0 built-in power amp outputting 800 watts. The advantages of having a built-in power amp to drive the woofers cannot be understated. In addition to eliminating the need for a separate subwoofer, the built-in amp for the woofers permits a fairly modest  power amp (50 to 75 watts) to power the midranges and tweeter.  The drivers and the Hypex power amps are available through Madisound IF you should ever need to replace a driver. 

I used 50 watt mono tube amps which more than adequately powered the midranges and tweeters. I am now using KR Audio 160w tube amps. In the past I used Luxman M600A solid state amps with great results.

CROSSOVER

The crossover was designed, manufactured and implemented by Peter Noerbaek. The point-to-point wired crossovers feature extra-large Jantzen Audio Silver Z-Cap capacitors made in Denmark.

OTHER FEATURES AND BRIEF SPECS

The mid bass chamber is a sealed box with a Qtc of .71, and the woofers are housed in a QB3 aligned ported enclosure tuned to 24hz and, in a reasonably sized listening room, can play down to 20hz with ease.

High-power magnets are mounted on the inside of the baffles to permit the attachment and removal of the grill and spikes are provided on the bottoms of the speakers - I will provide the upgraded Eden Sound brass Bearpaw spikes.

Each Hypex amp has an adjustable low pass filter with gain and a parametric equalizer permitting all basic adjustments (level, equalization, phase, etc.).

Each crossover network is housed in the upper rear portion of its speaker and is visible through an acrylic window which displays the Jantzen capacitors.

Efficiency is around 93db

Dimensions: 57” in. H; 28” D and 17” W

Weight: Each speaker weighs over 300 pounds. I have the factory wood crates.

The BSI model 4 is similar to Montana”s $30,000 “Sammy” model with respect to the general cabinet shape, number and configuration of drivers (2 woofers, 2 mid-ranges and 1 tweeter) but differ in the sense that the Sammys do not have built-in amps.

BSI tried to sell the speakers through the internet which didn’t work (BSI is now defunct). As stated above, if sold
through the standard dealer network, the speakers would retail for around $32000-$40,000 based on their manufacturing costs (I've been told).  They sound as good, if not better, than most speakers in the $20,000-$40,000 price range that I have heard. 

Gary Lea, a senior editor at Positive Feedback Online had the opportunity to listen to a pair of the Model 4s in California and had the following comments:

“Cabinetry was first rate as was all the fit and finish. The  drivers and crossovers were top notch and the speakers sound splendid.  At the price BSI was trying to sell them they were a phenomenal bargain!”

Gary’s email address is  leagary@gmail.com

Finally, please check my 100% feedback on Audiogon - I'm Mantis007.

« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2016, 02:02 am by tdangelo »

tdangelo

Re: FS: PBN/BSI Model 4 Mk2 - $7500
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2016, 06:18 pm »
I forgot to mention that I would be interested in a trade/partial trade for a solid state linestage and or amps.

thanks
Tony

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2016, 09:13 pm »
Very nice. I have scanspeak illuminator tweeters and revelator woofers in the truck so have an idea of the nice sound you have there.

Rocket Ronny

tdangelo

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2016, 02:24 am »
 :thumb:

tdangelo