Let's see your tubes!

Unison845

Re: Let's see your tubes!
« Reply #60 on: 14 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm »
It's hard to believe that such a big output transformer has bandwidth that good! How much do they cost to purchase?

Not a problem. As most of you know I design my own transformers and then have them made for me. The transformers for these amps of course are single ended.
These particular transformers are rated for 200 watts! They can take 600 ma dc in the core and they weigh in at 65 pounds each!!! :thumb: The measured bandwidth @ 160 watts output is -1db from12hz-47khz! :thumb: This is with 3KV on the plates. They have 4 and 8 ohm taps.
Gary

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #61 on: 14 Apr 2011, 10:58 pm »
Those cost me nearly $1K for 2 of them. In single ended operation it takes a huge amount of iron to achieve a good clean low end! Winding technics have a ton to do with the good hi end response. I will not disclose my winding specs! :nono:
Gary

Unison845

« Reply #62 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:01 pm »
Do you have picture of them? Are they available for diyer to buy them?

>
Those cost me nearly $1K for 2 of them. In single ended operation it takes a huge amount of iron to achieve a good clean low end! Winding technics have a ton to do with the good hi end response. I will not disclose my winding specs! :nono:
Gary

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #63 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm »
ABSOLUTELY not available to the diy market!!! :nono: I am not going be responsible for someone vaporizing themselves!
I have had extensive workings with voltages up to and above 100KV capable of several amps and the high voltages do not bother me. Sorry I will not let these out for sure! :nono: The 3Kv supply for these is capable of well over 2 amps, definitely lethal! The caps are 100uf @5KV laser pulse caps capable of delivering pulses in excess of 5000 amps! :thumb: Deadly stuff for sure.
gary

SET Man

« Reply #64 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:51 pm »
ABSOLUTELY not available to the diy market!!! :nono: I am not going be responsible for someone vaporizing themselves!
I have had extensive workings with voltages up to and above 100KV capable of several amps and the high voltages do not bother me. Sorry I will not let these out for sure! :nono: The 3Kv supply for these is capable of well over 2 amps, definitely lethal! The caps are 100uf @5KV laser pulse caps capable of delivering pulses in excess of 5000 amps! :thumb: Deadly stuff for sure.
gary

Hey!

Sound like a mad sciencetist's project. :lol:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Steve

« Reply #65 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:09 am »
EL-156 tube. Plate dissipation is 50 watts but no cherry plate at 65 watts.

Super clean, harmonically correct. Dimension is fantastic. Amazing sound quality.

« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2011, 07:10 pm by Steve »

Unison845

« Reply #66 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:15 am »
Well, I guess I just have to listen to these:

gary

TrungT

« Reply #67 on: 25 May 2011, 04:18 am »
Have not hear this tube playing for a little while.
Just hook up and playing.  WOW  :thumb:

mitch stl

« Reply #68 on: 25 May 2011, 12:10 pm »
Here's my Image 65i.

ebag4

« Reply #69 on: 6 Jun 2011, 08:22 pm »
Here is a pic of my recently completed Bottlehead Stereomour configured as a power amp.  I just received the JJ 2a3-40s, what a difference a tube makes, even with no time on it.  I tried to take the cool pic with glowing tubes, unfortunately the only tube on this amp that glows enough to show anything is the JJ ECC81.  I will try again when it is completely dark, for now here is a pic with the JJs installed:

Happy listening!!

Ed

sebrof

« Reply #70 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:42 pm »

The 2A3s don't glow a lot so a shot in the daytime

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #71 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:34 pm »
Here is a pic of my recently completed Bottlehead Stereomour............
Ahh....so that's your amp pictured on the Hawthorne site. I wondered who owned that. I think it looks likes like a caboose.
Very cool.

Bob

ebag4

« Reply #72 on: 6 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm »
Ahh....so that's your amp pictured on the Hawthorne site. I wondered who owned that. I think it looks likes like a caboose.
Very cool.

Bob
Yes Bob, that is me spamming the net with my latest project.  I hadn't seen the caboose but now that you mention it I do.  Well, my dad worked for the railroad for 30+ years so a caboose is appropriate (of course I think they had already done away with cabooses, caboosi(?), whatever, by then).

Best,
Ed

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #73 on: 7 Jun 2011, 12:20 am »
Actually, I saw a caboose in action the other day.  :scratch:  WTF???  Really??   :dunno:

Anyway, there's a profile shot of the amp on the Hawthorne site that really drives home the whole caboose image.
Not to detract, actually I love it. Great stuff Ed.

Bob

p.s. Oh...No worries about spamming the net with your newfound pride and joy.
You should see me spamming my new RiPole build.  :wink:

JoshK

« Reply #74 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:00 am »
Not a problem. As most of you know I design my own transformers and then have them made for me. The transformers for these amps of course are single ended.
These particular transformers are rated for 200 watts! They can take 600 ma dc in the core and they weigh in at 65 pounds each!!! :thumb: The measured bandwidth @ 160 watts output is -1db from12hz-47khz! :thumb: This is with 3KV on the plates. They have 4 and 8 ohm taps.
Gary

Wow, I am impressed, that is some feat. 

JoshK

« Reply #75 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:05 am »
gary

As a financier, if you were a public company and offering said amps to the DIY communtiy, you'd be my first short.  That is to say, I completely agree with you.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #76 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:57 am »
Jolida JD1000RC

rockadanny

« Reply #77 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm »
Audio Mirror Series Eargasm - 45 Watt SET monoblocks - parallel pair of 6C33C output tubes per monoblock with NOS Sylvania 6SL7GT and 6SN7GT (input and driver tubes were swapped in after picture was taken).

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #78 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm »
Skeeter99 posted this amp before, but not it's at my house and all lit up. :)

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #79 on: 24 Jun 2011, 07:30 pm »
Skeeter99 posted this amp before, but not it's at my house and all lit up. :)

Whoa! that is one slick looking amp.  Quite elegant!