Ok to warm up amp with no load?

macdane

Ok to warm up amp with no load?
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:42 pm »
I apologize if this has been asked a million times, but a haven’t been able to find anything.

My new integrated amp (Hegel H80) will be delivered today. What I’d like to do is get it in place and ready to go, but listen to my current rig for a couple hours first, then swap the new amp into the mix. As long as I keep the amp muted, should I be safe plugging it in and powering it up (no source or speakers connected) to get it warm while listening to the other amp?

Thanks,
Dane

sunnydaze

Re: Ok to warm up amp with no load?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:52 pm »
I apologize if this has been asked a million times, but a haven’t been able to find anything.

My new integrated amp (Hegel H80) will be delivered today. What I’d like to do is get it in place and ready to go, but listen to my current rig for a couple hours first, then swap the new amp into the mix. As long as I keep the amp muted, should I be safe plugging it in and powering it up (no source or speakers connected) to get it warm while listening to the other amp?

Thanks,
Dane

This is safe to do with some amps....but not all.

I often warm up amps this way, but to be 100% safe I always put a resistor across the output posts......even if I know the amp is fine with no load. 

Nothing fancy, just a few bucks at Radio Shack.   I use these 10 watt / 10 ohm ones:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-10-ohm-10w-10-wirewound-resistor-2-pack

Be sure to keep the integrated's volume low so resistor doesn't get too hot.  I been doing this safely for years on dozens of different amps.

macdane

Re: Ok to warm up amp with no load?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:48 pm »
Thanks sunnydaze, but I ended up scrapping my plan ... I just hooked up the new amp and it’s warming up now! Still, good to know for the future.