open or closed?

Freo-1

Re: open or closed?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm »
A good inexpensive headphone is the Sony MDR 7506. 

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mdr-7506/review/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2018, 11:08 am »
FRM/dalethorn:  How can two opinions of the Porta Pro be so different?

Free-1:  Looking for open design, to use with Meridian Explorer 2 and MacBook overseas.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:06 pm »
FRM/dalethorn:  How can two opinions of the Porta Pro be so different?
I suspect Dale expected little on this HP, its cost here was expensive at the time 80USD when the US price was +$20, so people expect much more SQ than the average US buyer, as here these electronics goods have a premium price due 100 per cent of Custom house duties.

One driver blow w/a stock Denon DCD1520, if you want I can send it to you for free.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2018, 11:01 pm by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2018, 01:16 pm »
Heard Grado 60, 80, and 125 headphones last weekend (Tidal via a Moon headphone amp) and was disappointed with the sound quality of any of them (lacked detail, although it improved slightly as I moved up the model/price scale).  Also took a quick listen to HE1000, and still wasn't blown away either.  Had Sennheiser's best headphones ($70 - how times have changed) 40 years ago that (best I can recall) sounded way better.  Have barely touched headphones since then.

Any suggestions?  Looking for open or closed headphones (not earbuds) under $150 to take on extended vacation to be used with MacBook and Meridian Explorer 2.

TIA

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 7 Feb 2018, 12:27 pm »
A set of Senn HD598s might prove good.  I really liked their comfort and sound.  Velour pads were never hot for my ears.  May only be available used at this point mind you. 

They do leak a lot of sound being open, and you will hear what is around you.