Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo

Louis O

Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo
« on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm »
Hi ray-dude,

Many thanks for one of the best and most complete reviews of the SAM, Chord/Omega combo.

I learned so much.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435

Thanks again,
Louis

Folsom

Re: Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:22 am »
Congrats, super cool.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:32 am »
Wow, very nice!  :thumb:

rghanbari

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:37 am »
My pleasure Louis!  A remarkable experience, and one I think everyone should seek out.  The magic of all the pieces coming together was completely unexpected, and revelatory.  Louis' design philosophy of simplicity and speed paired with the Chord kit took each up 10x.

For those in SoCal, I know it is hard to get access to Omega's out here (I've been wanting to audition the SAMs forever).  Drop a line if you're Omega-curious and we can try to schedule a meet up or something.

Ray

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:28 pm »
This is an interesting topic.  I know people have been using Chord DAC/HP amps direct to speakers for a while.  I own a Chord Mojo, which has a 3V output and two parallel HP/Preamp outputs.

My normal method of connection has been to connect to either a Red Wine Audio Signature 16 or a 421A SET, then to a pair of Omega Super 3HO Monitors I am still breaking in.  I found that I can use the Chord just as effectively as a preamp, though Chord's insistence on being unconventional makes volume control a little counterintuitive.  In this configuration, the Chord direct to the 421A has been giving me the best high end and surprisingly better bass than the more powerful RWA.

I also own a pair of SAM's and a pair of Rythmik F8 subwoofers.  It occurred to me that I can use the dual outputs from the Chord Mojo to feed both the 421A amp (which has its own pot) and the subwoofers, each of which has a variable input.  I can set the relative gain and then control volume from the Chord.  When the Chord Poly ships, I can (theoretically) control volume from the app (or Roon).

With the Mojo/Poly combo, I could have a battery-powered, completely portable Roon endpoint.

rghanbari

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2017, 08:33 pm »

The Mojo was just too thin (for me) to drive the SAMs direct (poor guy).  Have you tried it and did it work for you in your setup?

I thought the Hugo2 direct to the SAMs was a revelation, if you could manage volume levels and listened to less congested music.  DAVE direct trumped them all (basically no compromise), but is obviously significantly more expensive.  Hugo2 direct was amazing enough that (if I didn't have a DAVE), I would change the type of music I listen to be able to get that kind of sound all the time.