Friend is looking for an integrated amp under $2000 new

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
My best bud is looking to upgrade his Pioneer vxs 3600 receiver with a new integrated  amp. He has a great DAC Eastern Elec. and good speakers that are 99db efficient. Doesn't need multi channel but would go for a 2.1 system. No phono just SQ Touch input. Would like to hear your recommendations . No used or DIY

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2017, 02:02 pm by David C »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Friend is looking for an integrated amp under $2000 new
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2017, 10:56 pm »
My best bud is looking to upgrade his Pioneer vxs 3600 receiver with a new integrated  amp. He has a great DAC Eastern Elec. and good speakers that are 99db efficient. Doesn't need multi channel but would go for a 2.1 system. No phono just SQ Touch input. Would like to here your recommendations . No used or DIY

Thanks in advance
There are great offers in used amps at Trade Circle lateley as this 30W amp very suited to a sensitive 99dB speaker:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153583.0
On the other side if it could be a tube amp I could suggest order an nice EL34 SET/UL with Lundahl OPTs at Radu, it should fit well below this budget:
https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/
I not great to suggest transistors amps sorry.

deadhead

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2017, 11:13 pm »
I bought a Belles Aria a little less than a year ago for a second system.  Very nice unit.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2017, 11:17 pm »
I have a like new Sony TA-A1es that I would sell for cheap.  It is outstanding in sound and quality.
Just PM me if you like.  It would fit the bill (haha)
Bill

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2017, 04:45 am »
If he can find a deal, or, stretch the budget the Parasound integrated is a good value, although more power than he will probably use.

A good selection under $2k in, NAD, Marantz or Cambridge Audio.  The CS A80 is a nice unit and has a built in DAC from Cambridge.

I'm not that familiar with Jolida or Line Magnetic but they should have some tube offerings in the budget.

My pick over any of the above would be if he could find a Naim, Nate in his budget, they have different models, I just don't know the prices.  The Naim would be a huge step up in sound quality, really excellent in sound and quality.  The Unity series is good as well but that's more of a "lifestyle" orientated product.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:23 am »
https://www.audiothesis.com/ecstasy-iii
https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/retro-stereo-50/

One bad thing is no sub out/pre out on either unit.  They are stellar though.

Another interesting option would be the Dayens Ampino preamp ($900) and stereo power amp ($700).  It isn't an integrated but the preamp has two sets of pre-outs so a subwoofer could be added.  This option will take up as much rack space as a normal width integrated.
https://www.audiothesis.com/ampino-stereo
No link for the preamp.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm »
Yamaha A-S2000 integrated is right at his price point new. A small stretch and get the newer A-S1100.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:54 pm »
I would give Klaus a call at Odyssey Audio. I'm a big fan of his Cyclops integrated stereo amp, I haven't found myself desiring anything to replace it in the two years I've owned it. Simple and sweet sound with authority.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2017, 03:31 pm »
I would buy a new Rogue Audio "Sphinx" integrated amplifier ($1395 with remote volume control) and spend the remaining $600 on new music. It has a sub out for 2.1

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2017, 04:06 pm »
A good place to start is the Stereophile 2017 ratings:

class A - Parasound Halo integrated ($2500 MSRP), Stereophile class A rated

class B - Cambridge Audio Azur 851A ($2000 MSRP), Croft Phono Integrated ($1895 MSRP), Heed Audio Elixer ($1195 MSRP), Rogue Audio Sphnix ($1395 MSRP), Roksan Kandy K2 BT ($1900 MSRP), Schiit Ragnarok ($1699 MSRP)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2017, 06:43 pm »
The Nuprime IDA-8 is an insanely great bargain with plenty of power and control. If you can get your hands on one, by all means try it. Super highly recommended!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:34 pm »
Digital Amplifier Company Stereo Maraschino

http://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:42 pm »
I don’t think it comes with a remote, or does it?

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:58 pm »
Oops no remote!

gnostalgick

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2017, 09:50 pm »
99db speakers?
Why solid state?  Seems like a great candidate for single ended tubes.
And if he's definitely set on a new integrated, all I can think of is Sugden (but I believe they're more like 2.5k) because I really think <50 watts pure class A would be best for sound (I own a First Watt amp).

A few general comments on what's already been recommended.

The classic A/B NAD sound tends to be warm and inoffensive (but I found a power conditioner a must in my old building to avoid listening fatigue).  I haven't heard the newer entry-level class D models, but the high end ones they're likely derived from were very polite & detailed at dealers and shows.

I've never had a Cambridge at home, but from demos they seem far more energetic and lively.

The Dayens are an utter bargain; very refined, very natural, nicely airy, but not as focused on the micro-details.

The Croft integrated is a hybrid tube design.  I haven't heard it, but use and love their preamp.  Quite neutral and transparent.  If he feels that tube equipment is too colored, slow, or syrupy this could be a great choice.

Kirk

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:06 am »
The classic A/B NAD sound tends to be warm and inoffensive

I used a classic NAD integrated in many systems until I wore it out, along the way I discovered the amp section was pretty good and the pre-amp section was the weak spot in the design. These days you can do much better. A friend still uses my old Adcom 535 amp, now that is one sweet amp and can be bought for about $100, then all you need is a pre.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm »
I wanted to get back to all of you with a big thank you for all the suggestions. AC allows one to tap into great folks and ideas. Got my work cut out for me in researching the suggestions. More are welcome but again thank you to all that contributed. I will let you know how the search and conclusion go.

David C