Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2

Ern Dog

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2
« on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:56 am »
I only have one version of this master piece and I'd like to venture into getting another one, preferably on Tidal because I subscribe to Tidal HiFi.  The version I have is RCA Living Stereo, Van Cliburn version.  I listened to a version by Lang Lang and it sounded too fast paced, like he was in a hurry or something.  So pacing is important to me and I'd like a version that sounds natural and realistic.  It doesn't necessarily have to be on Tidal, but that would be a plus.  Any recommendations?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:02 am »
You should get a bunch of recs, as everyone has their favorite of this warhorse.  Mine is the Sviatoslav Richter version on Deutche Grammophone, but your RCA Van Cliburn version is a good one too. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2016, 12:23 pm »
My favorite is Byron Janis on Mercury. In fact, Janis is my favorite on Rach 1 and 3 as well. If you don't know Rach 1, you need to give it a listen. I think it's gorgeous. Rach 4, although it has its moments, is a bit of a mish-mash IMO. But do try Rach 1.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:03 pm »
My favorite is Byron Janis on Mercury.
\
That's another good one. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:11 pm »
This is my favor:

Ern Dog

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:31 pm »
I do have Rach 1-4 and 2 & 3 are my favs.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check these out.

walkern

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:54 pm »
I heard this one at a friend's place (I own the Janis on Mercury, and the Van Cliburn RCA) and was VERY impressed with the dynamics as well as the performance.  Not sure if Tidal will have it, but it is available from Amazon as a CD. 
Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 / Paganini Variations
Rachmaninoff (Composer), Paganini (Composer), Malcolm Sargent (Conductor), Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra), Cyril Smith (Performer)

kernelbob

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm »
If you haven't heard Santiago Rodreguez playing Rachmaninov, you're in for a treat.  Try the set of Rachmaninov & Chopin 2nd concerti on Elan Records (ASIN B00003A9O7).  One reviewer (I'm not sure of which performance) said "Rodreguez was born to play Rachmaninov".  There are also several other Rodreguez/Rachmaninov recordings on Elan.

Best,
Robert

bhallin

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2016, 02:22 pm »
I'm no expert on classical music, and I haven't heard that many versions of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, but one that I have and love is by a blind Japanese pianist, Nobuyuki Tsujii. I also have Lang Lang's version and I don't like it at all.

rbbert

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2016, 03:08 pm »
Wild/Horenstein, Ashkenazy/Previn and Ashkenazy/Haitink are all worth hearing.  Leif Andsnes with Antonio Pappano and the LSO is a worthy modern recording.

Stephen Hough with Litton and the Dallas Symphony might have the best sound of any version.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:47 am »
I just listened to the Rubinstein/Reiner version on RCA tonight. 
There is no other piece of classical music that I know as well as this concerto, and cut my teeth as a kid listening to Sviatoslav Richter's Russian/virtuoso/testosterone driven version. Richter was in his thirties and at his physical peak with otherworldly keyboard command.  It's still one of the best.
But the Rubinstein is so very different. He's older but not exactly elderly for a concert pianist.  He has command and power, but allows the piece to ebb and flow, to interact with the orchestra.  It starts problematic, with Reiner bringing the orchestra too much to the forefront, but quickly Rubenstein takes command.  Such sublety and nuance.  It's definitely a more mature interpretation, with emphases that I've never heard before. I listened to it twice, cold chills both time, wet eyes both times. 
I highly recommend it for those that have one of the bombastic versions and would like hear another take.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2017, 01:20 am »
That's a well done version.  Much like the DG version with Ricther, but a taken at a bit less pace.  If you have a chance, listen to the Richter version - more heft and weight:  http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sviatoslave+richter+rachmaninoff+concerto+2&view=detail&mid=C02E4C1F425C6C97AEA7C02E4C1F425C6C97AEA7&FORM=VIRE

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2017, 01:29 am »
I really like this version on SACD:

Great performance and sound.

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2017, 03:48 am »
The mercury wt Janis is one of the classic performances  :thumb:

Ern Dog

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2017, 03:13 am »
I really like this version on SACD:

Great performance and sound.

Wowsa!!  I just listened to this on Tidal for the first time and it is Fabulous!  Love it!  The sound quality is off the charts!  Excellent recommendation.  Thanks

MTVhike

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2020, 04:39 pm »
Any update on this query? I recently saw/heard a YouTube of Yuja Wang performing Rach 2 (and 3) but don't know if they've been released as recordings.

sounddog

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2020, 09:06 pm »
I’m not a big Rachmaninov fan, but Yuja Wang has a very good performance on DG with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra conducted by Abbado. I also like Alexandre Tharaud on the Erato label with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic (this album also has the wonderful French soprano, Sabine Devieilhe, on Vocalise Op. 34). Both performances sound more nuanced to me than the over-the-top nature of many other Rachmaninov recordings.