Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Folsom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #280 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:44 pm »
What is the rail voltage on the 1500?
Scotty

The first section is straight rectified 120v (which is reformed to AC pre-transformer). The drive section is something lower, the caps are only rated at 100v. Then there's the front end that's probably 12v given that there's as low as 16v caps on it. There's some taps to measure on the front end, but given that there's no replacement for some of the caps in the size needed, I didn't find a reason to measure the voltages. If you'd like I'll check the exact rail voltages.

rascal

« Reply #281 on: 22 Nov 2014, 08:38 pm »
How many hours do you have on your Crown?

I bought mine used (it was 3 months old, have receipt) but let them play on loop for 2 days continuous before careful listening. I first adjusted trim knob to middle, and then later level matched with my oldie RS meter. Was set to bypass.

I wish I could have chosen XLS so I could sell my ncores and get $1.6K back :-)

I am planning to buy 2 more- one to replace crown K1 sub amp, and  other to be used in bedroom system. I can sell off my older parasound SS amp.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #282 on: 22 Nov 2014, 08:59 pm »
With XLS I felt it was a bit shrill or not refined but it did not cut it out for me as amp for mains.

When I tried my xls 1500 straight from the wall I noticed some harshness or thought it was a bit shrill as you say but after plugging into my conditioner all that went away and it became very smooth.

Curious to see what Jack says about how he has his plugged in. If I were going with passive subs I would definitely use these crown xls's.

Thanks for your input!

sonicxtc

« Reply #283 on: 22 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm »
re: Pre-amp or pre/dac/hp suggestions for the Crown.

The iTube that OzarkTom uses may also be a great bet, since he is raving about it. Though you'd need an input selector if you need multiple inputs.

Then there is the ifi Micro iDSD DAC with the killer headphone amp, designed by Thorsten Loesch:

Thanks Tom, Roscoeiii, Russell and everyone for the feedback.

I'm seriously considering ifi. I can get by with one input.
I'm wondering if anyone has any pro/con/comparison info. between the ifi itube [pre amp only] and the ifi Micro iDSD [dac/pre/hp]. I wrote to ifi and they indicated that
But, both the iTUBE and micro iDSD have the same analogue volume control - so same sound quality.

Has anyone heard both? Obviously, one is tube, one is solid state, so there must be some difference.
They both have the 3D feature and the iDSD even has the "purifier" built-in.

Don't wish to derail the thread, but a few of you were kind enough to chime in, so I wanted to follow up.

Nice to see the reviews progressing. Thank you.

roscoeiii

« Reply #284 on: 22 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm »

Thanks Tom, Roscoeiii, Russell and everyone for the feedback.

I'm wondering if anyone has any pro/con/comparison info. between the ifi itube [pre amp only] and the ifi Micro iDSD [dac/pre/hp]. I wrote to ifi and they indicated that
Has anyone heard both? Obviously, one is tube, one is solid state, so there must be some difference.

Don't wish to derail the thread, but a few of you were kind enough to chime in, so I wanted to follow up.

Nice to see the reviews progressing. Thank you.

2 Questions:

1)  Do you need a DAC or are you interested in changing DACs?

2) Would your system benefit from the addition of tubes? I get the impression that mating the XLS with tubes can be a good match.

sonicxtc

« Reply #285 on: 22 Nov 2014, 11:18 pm »
re: preamp for Crown xls

2 Questions:

1)  Do you need a DAC or are you interested in changing DACs?

2) Would your system benefit from the addition of tubes? I get the impression that mating the XLS with tubes can be a good match.

1) I have an Audio GD 1.32 [yes, one point 32].  Although I have no issues or objections to the A GD dac, I am receptive to changing dacs. I have ZERO idea how it would compare to the ifi iDSD dac. And, btw, I do not need DSD. Currently = no dsd files, but I read the PWM section of the dac is very good.
If the ifi's dac section is superior, then that would be helpful info.

2) Yes, you make a great point. That's part of the debate: all in one, battery powered, ipurifier built-in, lots of goodies, but no tube VERSUS, the ifi itube pre, which is just a pre.  :scratch:
And, the ifi tube has digitial antidote plus. The ifi DSD = ???? on that feature.
FWIW, the CURRENT speakers are Fritz and known to be a tad on the warm side. So, will that combo really benefit from tubes? 

Thanks Roscoeiii

roscoeiii

« Reply #286 on: 22 Nov 2014, 11:24 pm »
re: preamp for Crown xls

1) I have an Audio GD 1.32 [yes, one point 32].  Although I have no issues or objections to the A GD dac, I am receptive to changing dacs. I have ZERO idea how it would compare to the ifi iDSD dac. And, btw, I do not need DSD. Currently = no dsd files, but I read the PWM section of the dac is very good.
If the ifi's dac section is superior, then that would be helpful info.

2) Yes, you make a great point. That's part of the debate: all in one, battery powered, ipurifier built-in, lots of goodies, but no tube VERSUS, the ifi itube pre, which is just a pre.  :scratch:
And, the ifi tube has digitial antidote plus. The ifi DSD = ???? on that feature.
FWIW, the CURRENT speakers are Fritz and known to be a tad on the warm side. So, will that combo really benefit from tubes? 

Thanks Roscoeiii

Still haven't heard the XLS, but if the Fritz are warm (great speakers BTW. Love Fritz's stuff) then you may not need the contribution of the tuibe. But all that said, the iFi are sold by folks like Music Direct who have great return policies. And hey, maybe the combo of the iDSD and the iTube is best of all for you? Only on way to find out. that volume control on the iTube  can be disabled so that it just serves as a tibe buffer, IIRC.

rodge827

« Reply #287 on: 23 Nov 2014, 01:02 am »
that volume control on the iTube  can be disabled so that it just serves as a tibe buffer, IIRC.

Yep, that's how I'm using the iTube at Casa DeRodge.  :D

My Shellby+Krolls don't need no steenkin' 3D feature!   :P

Bemopti123

« Reply #288 on: 23 Nov 2014, 03:29 am »
Thanks Jack , what are the main speakers you're using ...?

@Rascal what model B&W ..?

With northcreek updated speakers, I think it might be a B&W Matrix 801s or did he just change some regular parts with Northcreek components only? 

OzarkTom

« Reply #289 on: 23 Nov 2014, 05:05 am »

Mt buddy Rex has both, unfortunately the Itube did not make his recent move to Hawaii safely. The Itube will not power on, so he is enjoying the IFI DSD. He moved very shortly after getting the DSD dac, so he has no comparisons that he can make at the moment. But he loves the 3D circuit so much, he will not hook his Sony Z1 until he gets the Itube back and running.

Rex currently has his Job amp and Pre posted on Audiogon for sale if anyone needs to buy them. What is funny, just three weeks ago he said he was never selling his Job amp. Rex says that he is not getting any harshness out of the Crown amp.

Neither am I even with my very dirty AC. The Crown and the Job has been the only two AC amps that I have ever not had any problems here with AC harshness. Even tube amps sounds harsh here on a Friday or a Saturday night until very late hours.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #290 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:13 am »
I've been eagerly reading all the comments, debate, and comparisons from the first page of this thread, and I'm sure learning a thing or two about class D amps (no experience with them). Now I find myself wondering if I should buy a 1500 or even a 2500 just to hear how great it is.

I'm also interested in people's impressions of the iFi DACs or pre. However, I find myself concerned that discussion of the iFi equipment might derail or cause too much distraction from the thread. Would you all be interested in a new thread to discuss the DACs and preamp? (I'm not trying to stifle it because I am very interested in these myself.)

Michael

dlaloum

« Reply #291 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:26 am »

I'm also interested in people's impressions of the iFi DACs or pre. However, I find myself concerned that discussion of the iFi equipment might derail or cause too much distraction from the thread. Would you all be interested in a new thread to discuss the DACs and preamp? (I'm not trying to stifle it because I am very interested in these myself.)

Michael

:thumb:

sonicxtc

« Reply #292 on: 23 Nov 2014, 01:59 pm »

Running out the door and will be on the road for hours, so I"ll + 1 this and suggest  mrsseguie or some other volunteer please start such a thread. Thank you.

rascal

« Reply #293 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:44 pm »
Thanks Jack , what are the main speakers you're using ...?

@Rascal what model B&W ..?

B&W 802 with Northcreek modified crossover (you can buy from Northcreek).  Oppo 105 source, now using Joule Electra tube preamp.

All are connected BPT Sig power conditioner which is connected to Audience ar1p.   

Folsom

« Reply #294 on: 23 Nov 2014, 09:01 pm »
Tom,

Do you have any bi-amp able speakers?

You should try the link system these offers with crossover settings. To me that makes them potentially very valuable since none of the other class D's offer this unique availability of crossovers that totally negates the need for any processor or whatever prior to your amp.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #295 on: 23 Nov 2014, 09:52 pm »
Tom,

Do you have any bi-amp able speakers?

You should try the link system these offers with crossover settings. To me that makes them potentially very valuable since none of the other class D's offer this unique availability of crossovers that totally negates the need for any processor or whatever prior to your amp.

If you're referring to me, no not ATM. I have a pair in the works that will.

Pardon my ignorance, but do you adjust the crossover on the amp according to the crossover in the speaker? Or do you just pick a point that sounds best?

roscoeiii

« Reply #296 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm »
Just a heads up that Jack and I are having a great time with the XLS here. And we had one big surprise here today.

WireNut

« Reply #297 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm »
Can't wait to hear about it.

Folsom

« Reply #298 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm »
If you're referring to me, no not ATM. I have a pair in the works that will.

Pardon my ignorance, but do you adjust the crossover on the amp according to the crossover in the speaker? Or do you just pick a point that sounds best?

I imagine it depends on the speakers. There are some with built in crossovers that are still biamp capable, and others that might bypass. I'm not familiar with enough speakers to really know; but I do know a lot of DIY guys have no crossovers except active. The Linkwitz LX521 are entirely active.

WireNut

« Reply #299 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:29 pm »

but I do know a lot of DIY guys have no crossovers except active. The Linkwitz LX521 are entirely active.

I've been bi-amping since the 80's.
If the XLS's sound that good, bi-amping or Tri-amping with them wouldn't be all that expensive.
Hmm, I like it.