charmerci

News! Raspberry Pi ...plus!!!
« on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:09 pm »

richidoo

Re: News! Raspberry Pi ...plus!!!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:35 pm »
Thanks, that's good news. According to this blog:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/upcoming-board-revision/

RPI2 will have 6x more CPU power, full 1GB memory access, and a proper I2S output on new header:

"Additional I/O Expansion

To utilise GPIO signals released by the removal of the version identification links, a new connector site P5 has been added. This carries the four GPIO signals [BCM2835/GPIO28 – BCM2835/GPIO31] named GPIO7 – GPIO10 respectively, along with +5V0, +3V3 and two 0V. Currently this connector is not populated.

This GPIO allocation provides access to one of:

SDA0, SCL0 (Operating independently of P1 SDA1, SCL1); or
PCM_CLK, PCM_FS, PCM_DIN, PCM_DOUT or I2S; or
Four GPIO signals.
This connector is intended to be a suitable attachment point for third-party clock and audio codec boards, and is pinned to be mounted (ideally) on the underside due to connector clash. Pin 1 is marked with the square pad (top left – looking from the top)."

chip

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2015, 08:26 pm »
Great small device for an audiophile setup. Add a dac to it and run volumio, rune, etc

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2015, 01:22 am »
I was just about to look into these small boards for an audio only solution. Is this the one to get now? Whats the competition?

chip

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2015, 05:41 am »
Right now I have a B, B+ and just got the 2(no case/power supply) as I have a full B and B+ .

pmarun

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm »
I tried the Pi to run LMS and retire my laptop from Music server duties. Spent a couple of days and reading up and after much struggle got it to work. But was not very reliable. Love the idea but too much work for the uninitiated IT person. Anybody has reliable documentation please post a link to setup LMS or any other Music Server. Would love to get it back up and running.

Thanks

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:15 pm »
I don't use a Pi, but have seen lots of folks posting about how to get it to run LMS.

Here are a couple

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59233

http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com/lms.php

http://www.jackenhack.com/raspberry-pi-squeezebox-logitech-server/

I use a hacked Pogoplug running a Linux kernal called VAMP from Vortexbox - this is my player though, not a server.   I had never used Putty before, or done any Linux work, but was able to fuddle my way through it.

Good luck!

pmarun

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2015, 01:43 am »
Thank you for the links.

They are pretty much the same links I had used. The PI forum is a new topic that I had not used. This time I will make an instruction manual so that I can remember the commands, when I need to troubleshoot.

Now to give the Pi a 2nd chance. :)

Odal3

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:03 am »
So what's the recommended setup for good audio in terms of power supply, Dac, etc? I read somewhere that the early original boards had bad audio, but based on the comments in this thread I assume this has been fixed. Is that correct?

Is it powerful enough to play 1080p video?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:09 pm »
So what's the recommended setup for good audio in terms of power supply, Dac, etc? I read somewhere that the early original boards had bad audio, but based on the comments in this thread I assume this has been fixed. Is that correct?

Is it powerful enough to play 1080p video?
The issue was that using a USB DAC and USB drive causes issues, but a USB DAC and network disks work great.
You can also get DACs that connect directly to the PI board,
Here is one example
https://www.hifiberry.com/dac

The first gen Pi does run Rasbmc (openelec XBMC) and can handle 1080P even over network.

pmarun

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:40 pm »
Got the Pi to work again. Thank you for the links. I am yet to mount my Hard drive that is on my home network. Found the command but I think I might have forgotten my Suppervisor password and user id and passwords for the shared drive. The joy of having a 1000 passwords to remember.

Listening to the radio through the PI. Playing well, no dropouts. If this turn out to be reliable I think I can retire my trusty old laptop.

Rgds

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:30 am »
Thanks for the info. Package with my new tinkering toy will arrive Saturday! Also hoping it will replace my old and loud 12 year old computer for audio and video streaming.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:30 pm »
Thanks for the info. Package with my new tinkering toy will arrive Saturday! Also hoping it will replace my old and loud 12 year old computer for audio and video streaming.

Interested in your findings as I too am looking for a quiet and inexpensive way to get into computer audio.

I have a few questions for those better in the know on this subject.

If I rip music in wav to a HD, down load OpenElec on the RP2, connect the HD, and connect to a USB Dac to retrieve the music?

I have a Windows 7 laptop does it matter what ripping software I use, ie Db Poweramp?

Which "app" would be the best to use to control the system?

Is the RP2 Android only or can I use an Apple product?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Odal3

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:23 pm »
Regarding ripping - look into using a lossless format such as Flac instead of wav. It will save you some HD space with no loss in quality.

Re program: I'm not sure what people use nowadays, but a few years ago I used EAC with good results. I'm sure there are many good alternatives.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2015, 05:06 pm »
I have a Windows 7 laptop does it matter what ripping software I use, ie Db Poweramp?
Does not matter.

Which "app" would be the best to use to control the system?
If you have OpenElec RASBMC on the Pi the you will want to use the official XBMC apps.

Is the RP2 Android only or can I use an Apple product?
The PI is not android nor apple. It is whatever you make it.
You can use both android and iOs devices to control it.

If all you want is audio take a look at www.runeaudio.com
RuneAudio is a free and open source software that turns embedded hardware into Hi-Fi music players.

Take a cheap, silent and low-consumption mini-PC and make it perform as an high fidelity digital source.

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm »
Odal3 and JRace thanks for the information.

Chris