TAS Stratos Amp of the year 2014!!!

Peter NL

TAS Stratos Amp of the year 2014!!!
« on: 26 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm »
The Absolute Sound of January 2015
Odyssey Audio STRATOS Mid-Priced Solid-State Power Amplifier of the year 2014!!!!!!!!!!!

rikhav

Re: TAS Stratos Amp of the year 2014!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2014, 03:58 pm »
Any specific version of the stratos or the whole line?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:36 pm »
Stock pair of Stratos Monos

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm »
The Absolute Sound of January 2015
Odyssey Audio STRATOS Mid-Priced Solid-State Power Amplifier of the year 2014!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have they been the last ten or fifteen years? They are late to the party, but great news just the same.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:47 am »
Didn't it win last year too? Or was that the stereo version?   (edit - I guess I was thinking about Valin/Khartago.)

Congratulations Klaus!

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2014, 02:50 am »
I could have told them that in 2000, if they had just asked. :lol:

Golden Ears

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2014, 02:42 pm »
Fantastic sound at a great price. These amps when given good power filtering are capable of making a room breathe with sound with tons of air and space in the soundstage that I think some artists struggled to preserve in their recordings.

After using an older outdated Odyssey HT-3 at RMAF 2014 and finding them unfatiguing for the entire show, I bought a set of his higher end Kismet Monos in Stratos boxes. The sound is so good from the Odyssey line of amps I don't think you can go wrong buying any of the amps at any price range - even the lowest in the line would not be embarrassed by being placed in a  system with much more expensive components.

Wish list?
I only wish there was a Stereo mono switch on the mono blocks, and perhaps some clipping indicators...since I haven't seemed to be able to bottom the amps out...I'm not as convcerned. Still I'd like it for monitoring what is going on when the amps are located in another monitoring room from the speakers .

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2014, 06:34 pm »
Congrats, Klaus.

Someday, I will luck out and audition an Odyssey amp. Is Seattle still in the works this Spring, Klaus?

Mr. Esseguie  :wink:

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2014, 09:10 pm »
...I KNOW you can't go wrong buying any of the amps at any price range...

Fixed that for you.

I have been buying audio components for over 45 years, very few (very few) have been such a consistent over-performers as the amplifier that says "Odyssey" on the face plate.

KLH007

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2015, 08:38 pm »
Fantastic sound at a great price. These amps when given good power filtering are capable of making a room breathe with sound with tons of air and space in the soundstage that I think some artists struggled to preserve in their recordings.

After using an older outdated Odyssey HT-3 at RMAF 2014 and finding them unfatiguing for the entire show, I bought a set of his higher end Kismet Monos in Stratos boxes. The sound is so good from the Odyssey line of amps I don't think you can go wrong buying any of the amps at any price range - even the lowest in the line would not be embarrassed by being placed in a  system with much more expensive components.

Wish list?
I only wish there was a Stereo mono switch on the mono blocks, and perhaps some clipping indicators...since I haven't seemed to be able to bottom the amps out...I'm not as convcerned. Still I'd like it for monitoring what is going on when the amps are located in another monitoring room from the speakers .

Golden Ears must be Stuart or John? I loved this room at 2014 RMAF, stunningly good sound, purposely showing the T-5s don't need $20K of gear to sound great! A very simple and inexpensive system using an older Odyssey amp, this room made my sensational value list along with Klaus' own Odyssey room.

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2015, 08:48 pm »
I bought my monos used with a plan to drive a pair of Maggies (probably 3.6's), but they just sat in their boxes at the top of the stairs. I never even turned them on to see if they'd work! The idea of going to Maggies fell thru when I realized they wouldn't work with the room size and layout. The tube amp I was using started to give me some problems. Nothing horrible, but a pain in the butt to fix. I called Klaus about them, and we had a lengthy discussion. I went ahead and had him rebuild them to the "SE" mode, and had them in the system about four days later. After about a week and a half, the sound was simply grand. Compared to my older (but still quite nice) Accuphase, I knew they were a winner. After three weeks they were even better. I used them for about a year when I had them upgraded again to what Klaus called his "glass ceiling mode". The amps had a different sound yet, and out of the box we thought they were better. Thru the years I'd had four or five preamps in front of them, and with the exception of one, all sounded great.

Thru the years I had the opportunity to listen to a lot of amps, and honestly few impressed me honestly. Some were highly thought of on the internet boards, and a couple just plain stunk. I'm still the number one fan of the Conrad Johnson 140's, and have told Klaus that if I ever goto another brand it would be these. But I also could buy several pairs of Stratos Monos for the price of a pair!
gary