Soundkeeper Recordings new release - Winds of Change

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
Hi all,

I am thrilled to announce the release of my latest Soundkeeper Recording: Winds of Change.

Winds of Change, is the follow-up to Lift, the album by Art Halperin and his band, Work of Art, that was the very first release on Soundkeeper Recordings. Art's masterful guitar work (both acoustic and electric) soars with his captivating melodies, while the band drives the tunes with creative instrumental support and their rich vocal harmonies.

Recorded in a 19th century church, Winds of Change features Work of Art at its best, performing their infectious songs with a joy that can be felt in the listening.

The album will ship on December 1 and pre-orders are being accepted now.

For those who might be interested, Winds of Change was recorded "live" (for the microphones), direct to stereo, with no overdubs or mixing.

Balances were achieved by moving the players and instruments on the stage, instead of moving faders on a console. The performances were captured by a stereo array consisting of a matched pair of wideband microphones.

Recorded at 24/192 (24-bits, 192k sampling rate), the result is the best sounding Work of Art album yet, in high definition, with unrestricted dynamics. The goal was to provide the listener with all the cues necessary to give the feeling of being transported to the church, in the presence of the performances.

Samples of the music, and photos and videos from the recording sessions are now up on the Soundkeeper site.

For more background on the sessions, as well as a list of recording equipment, see the Winds of Change entry in the Soundkeeper blog.

Best regards and Happy Listening!
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Soundkeeper Recordings new release - Winds of Change
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:33 pm »
Barry,
I can't wait to order it.  I have everything you/Soundkeeper have done, and love not only the recordings (resolution, etc), but most of all the music.

Ted

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2014, 07:23 pm »
Barry,
I can't wait to order it.  I have everything you/Soundkeeper have done, and love not only the recordings (resolution, etc), but most of all the music.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback and support.

I'm very excited about this album for several reasons.  This is the first record I've done where I've used third-party AC cables (for both the interface, which served as mic preamps, A-D converters and headphone amp) and the laptop (on which the audio was stored).  I also used new mic cables (Nordost Tyr 2, a significant improvement over the Nordost Valkyrja I've been using).

But most of all, I love the music.  I've been a fan of Art's for a long time and have had the pleasure of working on several of his albums, not just the ones we did for Soundkeeper.  This collection is his best yet.  I feel these songs and the performances would stand up well even if recorded using typical studio techniques.  Happily, they were recorded using quite atypical techniques.  ;-}   (I believe that I can be seen swaying to the music in the "behind the scenes" video of the sessions we posted, as I checked out the sound in the headphones.) 

Several folks, upon hearing the playbacks from the sessions, independently commented that the recording sounds very "joyful" (all used the same word).  With all the talk about getting the feel of the music in a recording, I think I got very lucky as that sense of joy seems to come through in the listening too.

Best regards,
Barry

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2014, 02:15 am »
Barry,

Thank you for posting this notice. I have placed an order. I'll be looking forward to my early Christmas gift.  :thumb:

Michael

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2014, 12:50 am »

Hi all,

Here is a new video, showing the band arriving at a rehearsal at Top of the World Studio and playing "Wind of Change" at the recording session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22U4piPll5U&feature=youtu.be

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Best regards,
Barry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2014, 02:33 pm »
This sounds like a recording I would appreciate. 

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2015, 02:21 pm by bdiament »