Where are Anita O'Day records ??

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Where are Anita O'Day records ??
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:19 pm »
Actually, I wasn't commenting about that other thread.  It seems to me that was a special situation that might have involved making up a story so the store could purchase a rare record.  Maybe that would come under situational ethics.  My point was not that I condone such behavior if it occurred, more like two wrongs don't make a right.  IMO sometimes it's better to accept something for what it is, and move on.  All the negative energy is bad for the psyche.  Each moment of our life is spent, never to be repeated.  Why waste them dwelling on BS if there's nothing to be gained?

Philosophy of Zenbop.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:47 pm »
Bop daddy, what if a small store operator were to take records and equipment on consignment for, say, a 70/30 split?  I just don't know how many people there are that want to get rid of their records.  I don't.  You'd probably have to wait for some collector to pass on and then hope their heir knows about you.  Sounds like a good way to waste a lot of time.  But, if the store rent was cheap, might not be a bad way to do it.

I don't really know, but I don't think record stores take consignment.  Like all business they have to buy low and sell as high as traffic allows.  These store owners also keep on the lookout for estate sales and batches they get for practically nothing per record.   The store near me has some used tables and receivers which I assume he gets the same way.  From a store owners point of view, it might be better if an item wasn't on consignment.  He makes money by finding items really dirt cheap and even if he has to fix something, has enough profit to make it worthwhile.  Consignment doesn't have enough profit and what if an item comes back after the consigner has been paid? 

If you have a record store you're usually selling items for less than $20 each, so at the end of a regular day you might have a few hundred dollars? 
Sounds like a crummy business to me.   After you pay the bills you've got buptkus.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:04 pm »
Yeah, you probably right.  I have a friend who looks up some of my records on EBAY and such and tells me what they're going for.  I have no idea what to do with my records when I kick the bucket.  I guess I'm gonna depend on my local audio friends to coach my heir.  Maybe some of you dudes.  Wonder if she could get a big tax deduction if she gave em to The Smithsonian or even if they would want them.  Any ideas you all have is appreciated.  Very much.

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:24 am »
My records will be at the curb on the first garbage day after my death.

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2014, 03:10 pm »
Yeah, you probably right.  I have a friend who looks up some of my records on EBAY and such and tells me what they're going for.  I have no idea what to do with my records when I kick the bucket.  I guess I'm gonna depend on my local audio friends to coach my heir.  Maybe some of you dudes.  Wonder if she could get a big tax deduction if she gave em to The Smithsonian or even if they would want them.  Any ideas you all have is appreciated.  Very much.

This is a subject I'm not fond of contemplating, but avoidance doesn't give any answers.   
I would guess the Smithsonian isn't looking for modern records, and that your heir or whoever's organizing this sale, would make out better on Audiogon.  Take a look at used record prices there.  I've also seen batches of records listed in the turntable section which could be much easier to deal with.  Selling records individually is a lot of work.  Keeping track of payments, packing and shipping can be time consuming and if an individual customer is disappointed, that might have to be dealt with.  Selling in batches should avoid this if just one record is a little noisy or whatever.
On the other hand, some records are valuable and should be sold individually if you (she) want to get the most from the sale.   I'm serious about rare record prices.  Some are astronomical and I would guess that yours could be advertised as RCM cleaned, in audiophile sleeves etc. 

I hope we're talking about long range planning rather than an immanent situation.   Check with the Man upstairs, but I doubt if you're done around here, at least I hope not.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm »
Thanks, Neo.  Audiogon is a good place to start, I believe.  I'll have to put some real thought into this.