BDP-1 with MM - Installng MPD on initialization - Bryston DB crash detected

gustavog

Hi,

I upgraded my BDP-1 to MM some days ago. I have observed that after initialization the front panel displays the message 'Installing MPD xxxx" and then shows N, then U, and finally the square when done. is this normal?

Also when browsing the BDP-1 the dashboard always says Bryston DB crash detected. Always. I have rebooted many times and still I see that.

In general, the player works well but after some time I experience drop outs, kips, etc. I did not have that problem with LL

Thanks.

gustavog

Can someone from Bryston shed some light here??? I am tempted to downgrade to LL. Is that possible and how? Thanks

steve88d

Hi. I can totally empathize with your situation. I was very satisfied with my BDP-1 using LL. Since installing MM the player has been plagued with problems that include, music skipping, locked front panel display (stuck on a track played) front panel display going black within first couple of tracks, MM album art doesn't match current track, player becomes unresponsive to all inputs including front panel buttons.
I do seem to have resolved all these issues by doing the following. Turn the player off and unplug the AC cord for a minute or two. Plug it in and turn it on and allow it to boot up. Once its ready to play, before playing any music, using the dashboard check for updates and re-install the current s2.06 2014 10 07. After doing this I have been able to use the player on two different listening sessions of a few hours each and the player functioned flawlessly. I hope the problems are corrected permanently, only time will tell.
Oh and by the way, I didn't like the MM or the LL UI's at all so I have installed MPDroid on my android phone and tablet and really prefer this method of controlling my BDP-1. Its very simple to use and visually more satisfying than the cluttered look of MM in my opinion.
I hope you can resolve your problems.
Steve

gustavog

Hi. I can totally empathize with your situation. I was very satisfied with my BDP-1 using LL. Since installing MM the player has been plagued with problems that include, music skipping, locked front panel display (stuck on a track played) front panel display going black within first couple of tracks, MM album art doesn't match current track, player becomes unresponsive to all inputs including front panel buttons.
I do seem to have resolved all these issues by doing the following. Turn the player off and unplug the AC cord for a minute or two. Plug it in and turn it on and allow it to boot up. Once its ready to play, before playing any music, using the dashboard check for updates and re-install the current s2.06 2014 10 07. After doing this I have been able to use the player on two different listening sessions of a few hours each and the player functioned flawlessly. I hope the problems are corrected permanently, only time will tell.
Oh and by the way, I didn't like the MM or the LL UI's at all so I have installed MPDroid on my android phone and tablet and really prefer this method of controlling my BDP-1. Its very simple to use and visually more satisfying than the cluttered look of MM in my opinion.
I hope you can resolve your problems.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I just did as per your suggestion but still see the Bryston DB crash detected message. I will monitor to see if at least the skips and other problems are gone but that crash message is worrysome.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Hi,

I upgraded my BDP-1 to MM some days ago. I have observed that after initialization the front panel displays the message 'Installing MPD xxxx" and then shows N, then U, and finally the square when done. is this normal?

Also when browsing the BDP-1 the dashboard always says Bryston DB crash detected. Always. I have rebooted many times and still I see that.

In general, the player works well but after some time I experience drop outs, kips, etc. I did not have that problem with LL

Thanks.

Hi Gustavog,

Yes its normal to see a messaging during startup that its installing a  version of MPD, this how Loony Loon worked; the difference is Manic Moose displays a message and Loony Loony didn't.  The crash message is likely displaying because it has detected at some point the player had attempted to build a database for the artist view and that either the unit was powered off before it had a chance to finished or the process had in fact crashed.  The message won't go away until there is a successful build of the said database file.

Cheers,
Chris

gustavog

Hi Gustavog,

Yes its normal to see a messaging during startup that its installing a  version of MPD, this how Loony Loon worked; the difference is Manic Moose displays a message and Loony Loony didn't.  The crash message is likely displaying because it has detected at some point the player had attempted to build a database for the artist view and that either the unit was powered off before it had a chance to finished or the process had in fact crashed.  The message won't go away until there is a successful build of the said database file.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris! I finally got rid of the DB crash message by clicking on the various views on the media player and waiting for the DB to be built. I will give MM another shot and wait to see how it behaves from now on.

gustavog

Thanks Chris! I finally got rid of the DB crash message by clicking on the various views on the media player and waiting for the DB to be built. I will give MM another shot and wait to see how it behaves from now on.

UPDATE: I am happy to report that MM has been stable on my BDP-1. I haven't done much besides listening to music but I jhaven't hd skips or dropouts  :D I did follow steve's suggestion of disconnecting the ac from the bdp-1, start and then download and install the latest build. I also got rid of the crash message by following Chris's advice. Been 2 days and so far so good  :D

steve88d

Gustavog
Glad to hear your player is operating correctly. I was using mine yesterday and the front panel display stayed frozen on an artist and track title again. The BDP continued to play music but the display went black and the album art was frozen in the standard view of MM as well. I have e mailed Chris twice and posted several times here but still no response. Getting a little frustrating.
Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Gustavog
Glad to hear your player is operating correctly. I was using mine yesterday and the front panel display stayed frozen on an artist and track title again. The BDP continued to play music but the display went black and the album art was frozen in the standard view of MM as well. I have e mailed Chris twice and posted several times here but still no response. Getting a little frustrating.
Steve

Hi Steve

Forwarded this to Chris for you.

james

steve88d

I have given up on MM and gone back to LL. Bryston sent me a me CF card with LL on it after I placed a call to them one day in frustration. I installed it and my BDP-1 works perfectly. MM was a constant source of frustration. I spent a full day online with a Bryston service tech and he could not determine the cause of the problems. I bought a card reader, went through the process of downloading MM and installing it on to the original CF card all over again in case the original MM download was corrupted but all the same problems persisted. The service tech said my BDP-1 would have to be returned for service but I have never heard from Bryston again on the matter. So now I am locked in to LL with a warranty that expires in a few months and no further assistance from Bryston. I wanted to use MM because it is a nicer UI, it allows for internet radio, and I wanted to explore the option of ripping music through the BDP without using a computer (such as the BOT) but it appears that wont be the case.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
I have given up on MM and gone back to LL. Bryston sent me a me CF card with LL on it after I placed a call to them one day in frustration. I installed it and my BDP-1 works perfectly. MM was a constant source of frustration. I spent a full day online with a Bryston service tech and he could not determine the cause of the problems. I bought a card reader, went through the process of downloading MM and installing it on to the original CF card all over again in case the original MM download was corrupted but all the same problems persisted. The service tech said my BDP-1 would have to be returned for service but I have never heard from Bryston again on the matter. So now I am locked in to LL with a warranty that expires in a few months and no further assistance from Bryston. I wanted to use MM because it is a nicer UI, it allows for internet radio, and I wanted to explore the option of ripping music through the BDP without using a computer (such as the BOT) but it appears that wont be the case.

Hi Steve

I would get it back to us.  MM is a much better interface and much more robust than LL. There must be something up with the motherboard.

James

steve88d

James
No one has ever answered my questions about getting it back to you. I was told by Chris to RMA the unit and nothing else. Do I ship it to you directly or does it go to a dealer. I really want would like the unit checked out/serviced. Please let me know the next step to get it to you.
Thanks
Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James
No one has ever answered my questions about getting it back to you. I was told by Chris to RMA the unit and nothing else. Do I ship it to you directly or does it go to a dealer. I really want would like the unit checked out/serviced. Please let me know the next step to get it to you.
Thanks
Steve

I would send it to Bryston directly if you are in Canada and to USA service if you are in the USA or the Distributor if you are overseas.

james

steve88d

James
I am in Wasaga Beach Ontario. Do I have to include an RMA number (I do not have one). Should I ship it to 677 Neal Dr Peterborough K9J 6X7? Do I address it to anyone specific? Do you need a copy of the receipt? What method of shipment Canada Post or UPS? Do I have to include details of what it is doing wrong or can Chris review his e-mail to see our 26 e-mails back and forth when he tried to diagnose it remotely? It is ser# 000152.
I appreciate the help.
Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James
I am in Wasaga Beach Ontario. Do I have to include an RMA number (I do not have one). Should I ship it to 677 Neal Dr Peterborough K9J 6X7? Do I address it to anyone specific? Do you need a copy of the receipt? What method of shipment Canada Post or UPS? Do I have to include details of what it is doing wrong or can Chris review his e-mail to see our 26 e-mails back and forth when he tried to diagnose it remotely? It is ser# 000152.
I appreciate the help.
Steve

Hi

Send it to Peterborough attention Mike Picket and include a note indicating the problem.

james