New Pioneer DD turntable for $700. Looks like a Technics SL1200mkII

rodge827

Here's KABUSA's take on the Pioneer:

"Forget the Pioneer, just another Chinese clone." :(

KAB does have a vested interest in the 1200 MK11. Heck, most of his business is centered around it. I doubt he would support any new table over the 1200 MK11.

Jeff K

KAB does have a vested interest in the 1200 MK11. Heck, most of his business is centered around it. I doubt he would support any new table over the 1200 MK11.

Maybe, but Kevin is the most honest vendor I've ever dealt with. He's been known to talk customers out of making purchases from him if he doesn't think they will benefit from the change.

Don't forget, he built his business while the 1200 was in production by selling carefully checked-out and/or modded SL-1200's. He could certainly do the same with the Pioneer if it measured up. I have to believe he was hurt somewhat financially when the Techie went out of production.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
hopefully the build quality is comparable  to the 1200 as it certainly looks like one.

I think it looks much more like the Stanton ST150 than the Technics 1200 mkII and up.  That makes sense as the Stanton is around $600 and the Pioneer is the same thing with a few bells and whistles along with the name.  If as reported made on the same production line I don't see how it would be otherwise.

lazydays

my exact take on the subject.
glt

Jeff K

my exact take on the subject.
glt

If KAB lost a good deal of business selling new SL-1200s that were carefully inspected, set-up, and modified, why would he not do the same to the Pioneers? I don't see how he would lose any Technics business and he could pick up a lot of new Pioneer sales.

By your argument, he must have somehow benefited from the end of SL-1200 production. I might agree if they were still making the Techie.