Smoking two turkeys for Thanksgiving

SoCalWJS

Re: Smoking two turkeys for Thanksgiving
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:02 pm »
Well.....  :oops:
Due to my complete lack of planning, as it turns out, I lack the vessel large enough to house a 20 pound bird to brine it. I didn't know ths until yesterday afternoon when I took it out of the package and made this discovery. So all I did yesterday was rinse it off, and put it in a pan, wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge. Nothing more.
Many years ago, I picked up one of those big Igloo Water jugs (I think they're about 7 gallons). I put my bird and brine in, then a piece of plastic and rotate ice packs regularly. I keep the whole thing in a cool spot (pretty easy to do in late November at 4000 feet elevation), and it usually stays in the upper 30's throughout. The Turkey has a chance to fully defrost and also keeps the brine very cold. Takes up zero refrigerator space. Minimum waste of space. Works for me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:29 pm »
That's a good idea, I've thought about that. Although, I have enough extra fridge space to hold a five gallon bucket....I just need a way to brine the bird without using a huge amount of herb/spices filling the vessel. Next year (best laid plans) I'll have a roasting bag, that I can put the bird into, then put that into a small bucket. THEN I can put all that in the fridge.

Pics soon.......

Bob
(I suppose we should keep this as the official turkey smoking thread?)

WireNut

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:36 pm »

I suppose we should keep this as the official turkey smoking thread?

Yes  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm »
Ok then. Here we go.  :wink:

The 20# bird has been on the smoker for two hours, uncovered. The WSM is running at 225 (cooler than I wanted), but things are steady and predictable.
As soon as the food went on, I put a large handful of cherry wood for flavor. At this point, the skin is looking awesome and I want to cover it in foil so it doesn't get much darker.
But I want a bit more flavor, so I put another handful of cherry on the coals. I'll give that about 20 minutes to 'smoke', then I'll 'tent' the entire bird for (almost) the duration of the cook.

Those are my intentions anyway. Since I'm posting "live", things may change. But I can roll with that.  :wink:

How's this look so far?
The internal temp of the breast is 135 (note the probe on the right side.

WireNut

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:12 am »
Hi Bob,
It looks great. Love the color. Looks juicy and delicious.
I have a couple questions about your WSM. I may purchase one to use next year. What size do you own and what size would you suggest for a single person?
I'll probably only be cooking about a 12 LBS turkey in it.
Also, did you use the water pan inside the cooker when you made the turkey?
Do you use wood charcoal rather then briquettes?

I don't own a smoker yet, just an 18" weber charcoal grill.

Thanks,
Steve

WireNut

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:58 am »
Hi Bob,

The more I think about it the more I think I should go for the big 22”er. I’d probably use my small 18” charcoal grill the most for quick meals but I’d use the 22” WSM for a larger turkey, 20 lbs or so, or two chickens and just refrigerate or freeze what I don’t eat.
I’d most likely be using the small grill the most and the big WSM only a few times a year.

If I'm going to load up a whole big bag of charcoal briquettes or wood chips in the WSM why not smoke several chickens, ribs, or a larger turkey and freeze what I don't eat. It would probable be a month before I use the smoker again.

I've never owned 2 grills before but that just might be the way to go.

Maybe that’s a good plan.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:25 am »
Steve, I like your plan. For a bachelor, a great way to cook is for the rest of the week, then you dont have to deal with it.
So yea, I'd highly recommend the 22.5 over the 18. No doubt about it. As it is, I find the 22 too small. Mainly when I'm cooking something that requires a large pan, because that takes up the entire top grate. As you can see by the pics below, there's no room for anything else. Like in audio, once you discover this as your new passion, you'll need room to expand. An 18 won't let you do that. The lower grate is essentially useless, because the opening to it is so small that you can't fit anything in the hole, barely your forearm, much less a pan. It's a poor design in my opinion (the access to the bottom grate).

I used 2.5 gallons of water in the pan when I cooked my turkey tonight. I used an entire 17# bag of Kingsford for fuel, plus a coupe large handfuls of cherry for flavor. Maybe 20# of fuel total.I used what's called the minion method of starting the fire. That way, it lasts longer.

Here's the final shots of the turkey tonight. Needless to say that I'm fat and lazy right now.  :duh: :lol:
The wife did let me smoke the chicken for the chicken and dumplin's, but she was less than impressed with the final result. My son and I thought it was amazing. 

As I've said before, smoking a turkey is amazing. I see no reason to do it any other way. So if you think frying one is the only way, you should try this.

WireNut

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:34 am »
Thanks so much Bob. We see the same why. I'll be purchasing a 22"WSM for next spring  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:41 am »
To be honest, I've outgrown the 22.5 WSM. When time and money allows, I'll be building my own smoker.
I've got something like > THIS < in mind.
The shelf space is amazing, and each shelf is easily accessible.

Hope that helps,
Bob

persisting1

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:54 am »
I really want to try this next year. Looks like it's worth it  :drool:

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2014, 02:06 am »
"The internal temp of the breast is 135 (note the probe on the right side."
Next time stick the probe into the thigh of the bird.  The breast meat always cooks quick.  it is the thigh meat that some times is not fully cooked.

WireNut

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2014, 02:39 am »
Bob and any AC members

I've been watching several video's on youtube about smoking chicken,ribs, turkey with a WSM.
If you know of any specific video's /cooks/ vendors I should watch please let me know.
There are a lot of them on youtube, maybe you know some of the best.

Next spring I'll probably be picking your brain for recipes and tips  :D  Hope you don't mind.
In the mean time, I need to get better informed about cooking on the WSM. I've never smoked anything before.

If you have any tips on an electronic temperature gauge to use with the WSM let me know.
I don't no jack about electronic temperature gauges.

Do you use one, or an analog gauge?

I'm a newbe to smoking, Could use all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Steve

loving_it

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:04 am »
Bob and any AC members

I've been watching several video's on youtube about smoking chicken,ribs, turkey with a WSM.
If you know of any specific video's /cooks/ vendors I should watch please let me know.
There are a lot of them on youtube, maybe you know some of the best.

Next spring I'll probably be picking your brain for recipes and tips  :D  Hope you don't mind.
In the mean time, I need to get better informed about cooking on the WSM. I've never smoked anything before.

If you have any tips on an electronic temperature gauge to use with the WSM let me know.
I don't no jack about electronic temperature gauges.

Do you use one, or an analog gauge?
Let me know.

I'm a newbe to smoking, Could use all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Steve
   http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28

WireNut

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:09 am »
Loving_it,

Will that work for a charcoal smoker?
It states using it with an electronic smoker.

loving_it

« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:12 am »
Loving_it,

Will that work for a charcoal smoker?
It states using it with an electronic smoker.
my bad sorry didn't see that , I just picked up the org Bradley smoker and that's what I'm going to add .

Check one of these out  pitmasterIQ iQue 110

WireNut

« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:14 am »
Maybe Vinyl_lady or some others will also chime in. Thanks  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2014, 03:27 am »
That looks like a grill temperature controller for a gas grill.
I'm after a reliable electronic meat Thermometer to use with a WSM charcoal smoker.

Sorry I don't know jack about this, That's why I'm asking.

loving_it

« Reply #38 on: 1 Dec 2014, 04:11 am »
obviously I don't either lol  , I just ordered my 1st smoker this weekend so I will be learning also .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 1 Dec 2014, 04:50 am »
Wirenut, If ya want, give me a call and we'll chat about smoking food, specifically on the WSM.
Let me know if you're interested, and I'll send you my number. There's a lot to go through (although it's NOT intimidating).

Bob