Amps for Salk Surround Question

sfox7076

Amps for Salk Surround Question
« on: 21 Sep 2014, 05:09 pm »
I have a 5.1 system right now.  I am changing my entire setup and will still have 5.1, but need smaller amps to run the two rear speakers (could include the center if the amp was three channel) because of limited space in the rack.  I don't listen to 5 channel music really.  Anyone have any suggestions?  This is the front runner http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812.  I know the Salk Surrounds are a bit inefficient.  I wonder if it will have enough power.  That said, they won't be used often.  All suggestions welcome.

Shawn

Big Red Machine

Re: Amps for Salk Surround Question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:13 pm »
While those Daytons could work, the center needs as much power as the fronts if for HT surround duty.   Should be plenty of 4 or 5 channel ATI amps you could pick up to drive 3 speakers.

sfox7076

Re: Amps for Salk Surround Question
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:48 pm »
My issue is size.  I plan on only using the Dayton for the rears.  My center currently has an Ncore, which I would keep and use it to drive the center.  I actually need to find a smallish case for three nCores that orients them vertical.  I have 4 Ncores, 2 mounted in mono block Silicon Ray cases, and two mono blocks in one case.  I only use 3 right now (left, right in the one case, and the center in the other), but I need the space in the rack, so I would love a case that holds three and could be used in a more compact configuration.  Trying to make too many things work at once...