Are these the coveted S&B trannies???

smccull

Are these the coveted S&B trannies???
« on: 24 Aug 2014, 07:45 pm »
Several years ago while in the UK I bought a used Django TVC preamp. I really loved the sound of it but when I moved back to the US, it didn't take the journey so well. Take a look at the photos and you'll see what I mean.

I'm trying to decide if I want to find someone to repair it or if I'm better off just selling it to someone who's more DIY-capable than I. What I'm not sure of, however, is if these are the S&B transformers that are so sought after. They are round cylinders that look like what I've seen online but they have no markings that I can easily find. Please take a look at the photos and let me know if you can positively identify them, or tell me of a way I can.

I really appreciate the help!

Steve

TomS

Re: Are these the coveted S&B trannies???
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:39 am »
John Chapman (Bent Audio) might be able to identify them for you.

Good luck!

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:45 am »
They sure look like them. However there were two or three generations I believe.

What are the semiconductors hanging off the back panel?  :scratch: Here's another picture of one:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/django_e.html

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2014, 01:58 am »
They sure look like them. However there were two or three generations I believe.

What are the semiconductors hanging off the back panel? 

Those might be TO-220 power resistors of some sort.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2014, 03:19 pm »
Oh, right. Could be. Perhaps to "balance" the outputs. [Edit: or not, as they are nowhere near the XLR outputs.... anyway, it does look a bit messed with (sorry to OP)]

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:22 pm »
Oh, right. Could be. Perhaps to "balance" the outputs. [Edit: or not, as they are nowhere near the XLR outputs.... anyway, it does look a bit messed with (sorry to OP)]
Yes and it also makes little sense why you'd need them at line levels unless it was what someone just happened to have laying around. I just assumed there was no power in the box as it's a passive without a remote. Perhaps Steve can tell us what those markings are, as it's too blurry on my monitor.

smccull

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2014, 10:59 pm »
Happy to. Which markings?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2014, 12:37 am »
I'm going to take an educated guess. That looks like two S&B mkll trannies to me because they are not mounted in the newer, non-magnetic housing (chassis). The latest chassis has 4 RCA inputs and it eliminates the 1.4k ohm resistors in the middle position ground switch. The ground switch is now just 2 positions, providing ground and float. There is no more 1.4k to ground option.

Also the latest transformers which are made by Silk in China, are each mounted on an aluminum block and they lay horizontally, not vertically. As a result the newer case is not as tall.  How do I know this? Well, I have one of each.  :D

That particular unit looks like it either never got finished or someone took it apart to modify it. So keep in mind what I just wrote above is a best guess based on the pictures in the first post. Who knows what what's put in and taken out.  :dunno:

Also FWIW, I think that the newer Silk transformer version sounds a little better, but that may have as much to do with the non-magnetic casing as much as the transformers. It's a close call but the Silk version sounds a little more open and relaxed to me. (Less closed in by comparison.)

I think if you emailed DIYHIFI Supply with those pictures they would tell you what you have. They are usually  very friendly and helpful over there.

smccull

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:44 pm »
OK, the consensus is that these are in fact the S&B trannnies. Thanks everyone!

What would be the recommended selling price be for this pre, in this condition with trannies included? Thoughts?

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:04 pm »
Umm... does it work? Looks like there are some loose wires.