Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!

mirekti

Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!
« Reply #100 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:50 pm »
Where did all the talk go??

Germany speaks and all go silent.

Just sold my MBL 121 speakers and have ordered the M3s.

Now this is interesting!!!
I'd really like to hear what you have to say, especially as MBLs are omni all the way to the top and M3s dipoles "only" to 800 Hz. Bass wise I don't think M3 could go bad against ported box. 

CSI

« Reply #101 on: 22 Aug 2016, 06:14 pm »
"The only thing that remains is that mids are not as detailed as I was used to when listening to WLM or Zu. Sometimes when listening to songs which I know very well there is a lack of midrange information. Effects that I clearly remember from the past are less audible with the M3 turbo S. Maybe it's just because there is so much overall information and dynamics. Hard to tell.

What do you think about the midrange of the M3s? Are you satisfied?"

Jan from Germany posed this fascinating question. Although I have M4's I believe they are close enough to the M3's that I can venture an opinion.

Jan, the short answer is I am very satisfied with the midrange. But it is quite different from WLM's (which I have also owned) and from most other box speakers for that matter. The first thing to note is that the midrange resolution is going to be affected by proper placement. And, at least in my case, it took a fair amount of time and experimentation to get that just right in my room. Secondly, once you get them properly set up, you should notice two things about the mids (1) they are more laid back or recessed sonically than what you may be used to - the entire sound field is nicely spread out between and behind the speakers so is really the opposite of "in your face" (like WLM's for example - and I don't mean this as a slam against WLM's). (2) The mids may strike you as being a bit "down" in level in comparison but you should notice right away that you are getting more - substantially more - information that ever before, not less. A perfect example of this is the "The Panther" on Jennifer Warnes CD The Well. I love Warnes and have listened to this cut dozens of times. At the beginning there is a series of drum kit effects (rattles, gourds, etc.) behind the singer which are designed to enhance the songs aura of primitive mystery. On every system I've owned these effects audibly fade away once she's into the body of the song. On the Spatials I was amazed to hear that these effects continue throughout the piece - just at a lower level as her voice comes forward. Furthermore, they are clearly mixed in to cover the entire sound stage with an eerie 3D effect. You can relax and listen to them throughout the cut or ignore them and focus on Warnes and her back up band. This is the kind of midrange you get with the Spatial Holograms. It has added a terrific amount of enjoyment to my listening sessions. The usual caveats about your mileage, etc. apply, of course.

Cheers,

Bill

harley.guy07

« Reply #102 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm »
I have owned the M3 Turbo S speakers for about 2 1/2 months now and they are like a fine acoustic guitar, they get better with age and time on them. I  have been into audio all my life and these speaker really are where its at as far as I'm concerned. The bass takes time to develop and is probably the last thing that comes alive as they break in. They really have a realistic bass. I have been a musician for years as a hobby and have played guitar and bass and it is really awesome that I can really here the bass guitar in my music like never before. With my other speakers they were just a lifeless boom or bass note and note the instrument, but the M3's really make the bass guitar come alive. The M3's just sound like music at the venue which is what I was after and have been searching for for a long time now

Magnaryder

« Reply #103 on: 23 Sep 2016, 10:53 pm »
I was using a modest PC driving Yggdrasil to an EAR Yoshino V20 integrated amp that sports 30 tubes, including 10 12AX7s per channel as power tubes. I thought it sounded great. Bob was in agreement.

ray

Magnaryder

« Reply #104 on: 23 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm »
Sorry about the double posts, I was trying to load text and pic from my phone

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #105 on: 24 Sep 2016, 04:22 am »
I wonder how many people can say Bob Carver said my rig sounds great..... :thumb:

badaxe73

« Reply #106 on: 26 Mar 2017, 03:08 pm »
I order the M3 Turbo S, I should have them by the end of the week

mr_bill

« Reply #107 on: 19 Jun 2017, 04:49 pm »
Hi George,

Just checking back into this thread for your long term results.  Do you still have your Spatials and also your Vandys?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #108 on: 19 Jun 2017, 05:22 pm »
...once you get them properly set up, you should notice two things about the mids (1) they are more laid back or recessed ... the opposite of "in your face"

I find this depends very much on the character of the amplifier and not so much the speakers. Some amps are more aggressive and in your face while others are more laid back and distant.