Streaming OTA to Samsung Smart TV with DVR capabilities

ebag4

My mother has moved to a new condo, she wants to mount her 65" TV over the fireplace.  The first ssue is that there is no place to locate equipment (PVR, Wii, DVD player, Apple TV etc) locally.  The DVD player is of no consequence since she would seldom use it (hence DVD and not BD), and she can connect the Wii to another TV in the house.  The real concern is OTA recordings and Netflix, obviously Netflix is not an issue since the TV has the built in app and she is running it wirelessly in her current setup.  No clean way to get a remote antenna cable to the TV.  I have been reading up on Tablo and it appears to be a good fit, but I was hoping to read about your actual experiences with it.  She has an iPad (for control) but her apple TV which could be mounted on the back of the TV is a 3rd Generation, so it would have to be upgraded.  I will have to run panduit for power and for the soundbar sub, but in this situation (TV nearly as wide as the fireplace outcropping) it shouldn't be too noticeable. As simple to use as possible and stable is best.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2016, 11:40 pm by ebag4 »

youravhandyman

Re: Streaming OTA to Samsung Smart TV with DVR capabilities
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2016, 02:07 pm »
Ed,

Unless the TV will be mounted off the wall(fireplace) or with significant tilt there is not much room back there to attach equipment.  What about a wireless HDMI option.  That way your Mom can keep all of the equipment in a rack or cabinet and use an RF remote control solution.  There are several wireless HDMI solutions but the thing to remember is that they generally have a short range and prefer line of site. 

Matt

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 01:25 am »
Thanks for the reply Matt.  She decided to put an antique washstand next to the fireplace , that gave me a place to hide her equipment.  I hard wired all her equipment and have the antenna behind the washstand at the moment, reception is not an issue but size it, we need to find something smaller.

This was the best option since she is familiar with the operation of this equipment.

Best,
Ed

youravhandyman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2016, 02:03 pm »
Ed,
Great to hear you have a solution.  As far as the antenna, what about one of those thin, flat ones that you could paint?  There are a lot of them out there and if the reception is good as you say it seems like one of these may work for you.  I still put antennas on roofs (for money, of course) but there are so many options now that you can probably find a more attractive one.

Matt