Herron tube preamps

Tomy2Tone

Herron tube preamps
« on: 21 May 2015, 10:38 pm »
I'm not familiar with the Herron brand so was just wondering if anybody has owned one of their preamps and care to share some comments pro/con about them and maybe how they compare to other tube preamps out there.

Thanks!

-Tom

kingdeezie

Re: Herron tube preamps
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2015, 11:43 pm »
I have heard the Herron phono preamp, but not in my system. It is a giant killer. I know it retails for 3800 dollars or something like that, but it actually compares to much much more expensive phono preamps.

I was actually going to purchase the Herron VTSP 3A, but a mint used Vac Ren MK3 with built in phono came up on audiogon, so I jumped on that.

However, I will fully admit that the VAC was as much form lust over function.

I wouldn't hesitate to give the Herron a try.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2015, 11:54 pm »
Those who own Herron often praise them.

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2015, 03:24 am »
I auditioned Herron and really liked it, but found a PSE + Lehman Blackcube used and went that way instead 15 or so years ago.  I also auditioned EAR, Klyne,  and Quicksilver.  I liked Klyne the best, but it was 2x my budget.  The EAR and Herron were close, and I never really cared for the Quicksilvers. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2015, 02:13 pm »
Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a used vtsp 3a R03. Everything I've read about Herron screams quality, performance, and function. I was originally interested in a First Sound Presence but had a hard time coming to grips that it has no remote function. Reading about First Sound is how I came across Herron as it was often mentioned as a comparable preamp.

With what I paid I figured if it's not to my liking I can resale it without losing too much but I'm hoping it's the last piece to the puzzle. Herron will be at the Newport show so I'll definitely be stopping by to check out their stuff, especially the mono amps.