You must try Pandafeet -Sorbothane footers

gary

« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2003, 02:50 pm »
Hi Hantra

Thanks for taking the time to check out my products, and for posting your thoughts on them. Could you try one more thing when you get a chance? I'd like to see what happens if you put the pandafeet under the blocks. I doubt it'd be very stable, and you wouldn't want to do it long term, but I'm curious to know if you find any difference between that setup and just using the blocks alone.

Thanks again
-Gary

Hantra

« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2003, 03:02 pm »
That's a good idea!  I'll give it a shot tonight. . .

Thanks!

B

8thnerve

« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2003, 03:51 pm »
I agree entirely with Hantra's review!  I was actually just sitting down to post my impressions when I read Hantra's post.

To sum up, if you are looking to tame high-frequency glare and reduce noise in your system, the Panda Thumbs are the way to go.  If you want a full-bodied harmonic spectrum, and deep and defined bass extension, go with the Myrtle wood blocks.

Both are excellent products with different applications.

Marbles

« Reply #23 on: 3 Nov 2003, 04:15 pm »
Hantra and Nathan, would you guys mind listing what your racks are made from?

My marble shelf with steel supports seems to like the (5) Panda feet under my tube phono pre (Hagerman Cornet) and under my Mensa Plus DAC (just one panda foot centered).

I"m curious if you guys are using a wood shelf that already dampens to some degree?

Also, my shelves are on carpet over concrete, if you can say what yours are on and any other detail you think is pertinant.

Thanks

Hantra

« Reply #24 on: 3 Nov 2003, 04:24 pm »

Marbles:

You may be on to something.  My rack is Birch ply, and I am pretty sure Nathan is using a very smilar rack.  That would explain a lot. .

B

8thnerve

« Reply #25 on: 3 Nov 2003, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

Thanks

Wood rack, metal supports, carpet, wood floor.  I have had the same results with the Myrtle Wood Blocks on wood and MDF racks on wood over concrete, wood over joists, and carpet over concrete.

I have no idea how they would sound on shelf materials other than wood.  I have always prefered wood shelved racks.

gary

« Reply #26 on: 3 Nov 2003, 06:20 pm »
it may just be an interesting coincidence, but i'm using granite under the footers and my results are obviously not the same. maybe the wood support has something to do with it, looks like i've got some experimenting to do.

-Gary

gary

« Reply #27 on: 4 Nov 2003, 03:52 pm »
Hantra/Nathan

One other thing that occurred to me is that the rave reviews I've gotten so far have come when the user has them under either tube equipment or the perpetual technologies P1-A & P3-A. I think I'll update my website to state this as soon as I get home from Florida.

Hantra -

I think I'll send you three of the soft footers to try under the dac. I know it's probably too light for them to do much good, but I'm curious to get your opinion anyway.

-Gary

Hantra

« Reply #28 on: 4 Nov 2003, 04:10 pm »
I think I'll send you three of the soft footers to try under the dac.

Woohoo!  I'll try anything!

Haven't gotten the chance to do the footers under the myrtle blocks yet.  Got to do some rack adjusting first.  

I did try a very interesting tweak last night, and that is ERS.  Amazing. . .

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #29 on: 5 Nov 2003, 03:43 am »
Ok, if Hantra is the first...I can't be far behind!   :D

I received Gary's Panda feet on Monday and wanted to share with everybody my inital impressions.

I ordered a set of each type; using the light (actually 3 light and 1 med) under my preamp (AVA transendence 7 w/ NOS Mullards), the medium under my dac (Electrocompaniet ECD-1),  and the heavy under my transport (Sonic Frontiers SFT-1).

I added the Panda Feet one component at a time (preamp, transport, dac) and used the same four cd's for test material:

Tori Amos - Boys For Pele
Rusted Root - When I Woke
Sam Cooke - Night Beat
Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992 (re-mastered)

So what did I think?  I think these little squishy feet are quite good.

The changes I heard were not only per component, but were also cumulative.

My soundstage opened up and became deeper and wider.  Images became  moe lifelike.  Imaging also became more precise.  In addition, the bass tightened up.  When this happned, it not only improved the music in that area, but it cleared up the midrange and highs.  This produced better clarity and gave them system some additional sparkle and air.

The Panda Feet replaced Mapleshade Ultimate Triplepoints under the preamp, Polycrystal cones under the transport, and Stillpoints under the dac.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that this was $60 well spent!  :mrgreen:

Gary, thanks for making not only a great product, but keeping it reasonably priced.  All of the cones your feet replaced were 5x, 10x, and more!  So I get to improve my system and put some cash in my pocket - that's always a wining combination in my book.

George

Hantra

« Reply #30 on: 5 Nov 2003, 03:58 am »
George:

Great review!  

What type of material are your rack shelves made from, and is it mechanically grounded?

Thanks!

B

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:06 am »
It is made out of 3/4 MDF and was built by yours truely.   :)

It is not mechanically grounded.

GW

zybar

• Volunteer

Hantra

« Reply #33 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:46 am »
Z:

What a nice setup!!!!  Love those Kora amps.  They are truly one of the best amps I have ever heard. . .

Nice workmanship on that rack too!

B

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:48 am »
Thank you.

Check for a PM.

GW

audiojerry

« Reply #35 on: 5 Nov 2003, 01:38 pm »
Great looking dedicated music and HT room. It's one of the few HT setups I've seen where the speakers are properly placed out into the room.  Phanotom center channel?

So, when can we all come over?  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 5 Nov 2003, 01:47 pm »
Jerry,

Thanks for the compliment.

I will actually post a more up to date photo today along with a pic of plasma setup in my living room.

BTW, the center channel is there in the middle.

GW

gary

« Reply #37 on: 5 Nov 2003, 08:06 pm »
GW-

Thanks for posting the review, glad to hear you're happy with the footers.

I gotta add myself to the list of admirers... what a killer system.

-Gary

Bob Bartlett

« Reply #38 on: 18 Nov 2003, 11:21 pm »
Could these feet be used under a digital projector? My subwoofer causes the projector to vibrate slightly and was wondering if this would help it?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #39 on: 19 Nov 2003, 12:00 am »
Ah that's a whole other topic!  Sound pressure/resonance causing things to vibrate that are not even in contact with them. I assume the projector is not sitting on the subwoofer  :D